• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Shawn Marion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NarlCavs

Gold Star Member
Reaction score
I only post this because of the constant talk about Dallas possibly looking to make big moves in free agency next summer. In order to try to go real big they will need to unload Marion's contract. He's only signed through 2013/14 and due to make $9.3 million next season.

If you're the Cavs would you take on Marion and his contract if a #1 pick also comes along with him in a trade?

I think I do it. Cavs can be so far under the cap that his contract doesn't really change much. They don't bring back Casspi, Miles, Leuer and Pargo and that more than covers Marion's money. They could even keep 1 or 2 of those players and it wouldn't make much difference.
Cavs get a still solid veteran SF with an expiring contract and add another #1 even if it is a later one.

Only way I wouldn't do it is if the Cavs front office is convinced they can add a high salary younger player in a trade who can be a major piece for a while and need all the cap space they can get in order to do that.

I only post this because of the constant talk about Dallas possibly looking to make big moves in free agency next summer. In order to try to go real big they will need to unload Marion's contract. He's only signed through 2013/14 and due to make $9.3 million next season.

If you're the Cavs would you take on Marion and his contract if a #1 pick also comes along with him in a trade?

I think I do it. Cavs can be so far under the cap that his contract doesn't really change much. They don't bring back Casspi, Miles, Leuer and Pargo and that more than covers Marion's money. They could even keep 1 or 2 of those players and it wouldn't make much difference.
Cavs get a still solid veteran SF with an expiring contract and add another #1 even if it is a later one.

Only way I wouldn't do it is if the Cavs front office is convinced they can add a high salary younger player in a trade who can be a major piece for a while and need all the cap space they can get in order to do that.

Would Gibson and Walton's expiring deals match up with Marion's deal? Those two expirings for Marion and a pick or two?

I don't think the Mavericks have their pick this year. Isn't it going to Oklahoma City? And any pick in the future is going to be in the 20-30 range.

It would have to be a future pick and not one this season. Also think any possible deal would happen after the season and not at this year's trade deadline.
Just think this is only an option that could bring some veteran help for the Cavs young talent while adding a future asset in a #1 and not adding any long term salary.

I like the Marion idea more in the offseason for both teams. I'd imagine Dallas would like to get into the playoffs this year, and then look at what's realistic in Free Agency. If they find one of their targets is willing to go to DAL, then they could look to move the salary.

For CLE, it might be more realistic to do that trade in the offseason as well. Wouldn't hurt their tank efforts for this year, and they should have a better idea of what direction they want to go beginning this summer

I always thought Marion would be the kind of player to retire beofre he wore the wine and gold

I dont think Dallas makes a move unless they think Dirk is out for good. Dallas as configured is a mediocre team, but when you add Nowitzki, there is a big impact. They are ahead of the cheat wannabe Lakers. Which player will have a bigger impact, Nash, or Nowitzki...

The pick they owe to OKC is top 20 protected right?

There are then a few ways they can trade us their pick to absorb Marion's contract.

1) The Mavs get a pick 21-30 this year, and trade us the rights to their 2014 pick after the draft after OKC has made the selection.

2) The Mavs get a pick in the 1-20 range, and they make the pick themselves, and trade us the rights to player x + Marion for cap space basically (since we have a ton of it).

The only hesitation I have is that if his contract isn't up before Kyrie is due for an extension, then it would ruin our teams free agency options.

I would much rather save the cap space.

This possibility is for the offseason and not a trade deadline idea. It's also intended to be able to add another asset in a #1 pick. Also made it clear that if the Cavs are confident they can add a quality long term piece then you don't bring in Marion in a trade and keep any needed cap room instead.

At some point you have to stop having shit players in your regular rotation and upgrade your talent level a little. Bringing in Marion in a trade that also brings a #1 pick and wouldn't require the Cavs giving up any valuable assets doesn't seem that bad--if, of course, you don't think it affects other possible major moves.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."