• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

incompetent congress

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

KI4MVP

formerly LJ4MVP
Reaction score
With Congress spending all its time trying to avert the fiscal cliff, a slew of other legislative matters are going unattended. One of them is the agriculture bill which, if not addressed, could lead to a doubling of the price of milk early next year.

It works like this: In order to keep dairy farmers in businesses, the government agrees to buy milk and other products if the price gets too low. The current agriculture bill has a formula that means the government steps in if the price of milk were to drop by roughly half from its current national average of about $3.65 a gallon.

Problem is, the current bill expired last summer, and Congress had been unable to agree on a new one. Several protections for farmers have already expired, and several more are set to do so over the next few months. One of them is the dairy subsidy, which expires January 1.

But instead of leaving farmers entirely out in the cold, the law states that if a new bill isn't passed or the current one extended, the formula for calculating the price the government pays for dairy products reverts back to a 1949 statute. Under that formula, the government would be forced to buy milk at twice today's price -- driving up the cost for everyone.

"If you like anything made with milk, you're going to be impacted by the fact that there's no farm bill," U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack told CNN's Candy Crowley in an interview on State of the Union airing Sunday, Dec. 30.

"Consumers are going to be a bit shocked when instead of seeing $3.60 a gallon for milk, they see $7 a gallon for milk. And that's going to ripple throughout all of the commodities if this thing goes on for an extended period of time," Vilsack said.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/21/news/economy/milk-prices/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Yep, don't really mind them focusing on the fiscal cliff instead of milk.

Meh, it costs a small fortune for milk in Hawaii and they are some how getting by.

I'm confused... How do you write a thread about Congress being incompetent but at the same time expect them to read your thoughts?

They're incompetent, they won't understand.

congratulations on your discovery. Posts like these are straight up stupid.. There's thousands of posts I can make like this and do often write.. But then erase. So why do I write the ones I do?

Yep, don't really mind them focusing on the fiscal cliff instead of milk.

it would be one thing if they were actually doing something about the fiscal cliff, but instead they just wasted a whole week then took an early vacation.

You guys sound surprised...

ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

it would be one thing if they were actually doing something about the fiscal cliff, but instead they just wasted a whole week then took an early vacation.
So is it safe to assume you were screaming at the President to get his ass back to the US to work on the fiscal cliff when he decided to go on an Asian campaign?

No? Color me shocked.

I lose sleep every night over this

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."