• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Walking Dead

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jack Brickman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If you're into story-based games, buy this fucking game. It's cheap (like 25 bucks on Steam, although their Christmas sale is coming up and it will surely be on sale for around 15), well-written, well-acted, reasonably long (about 10-12 hours per play-through), and has you make decisions that do actually have an impact on the game. There are points in the game where you decisions directly affect who lives and who dies, along with much more subtle decisions, like being a dick to someone in favor of someone else.

The truly great thing about the first play-through is that you really have no idea how your decisions will play out. You may befriend someone who is destined to die and make an enemy of someone who's around for the long haul. You may say all the wrong things to make everyone hate you. You may decide to kill a certain character off only to regret it later. Much like the comic that it's based off of, no one is safe and characters die often and unpredictably.

I finally got around to finishing the last episode last night (there are five, all of which are included in the game's 25 dollar price tag) and it was fantastic. Rarely does a game feature characters and a story that is actually emotional, but this is one of those rare games. You really become attached to Lee, the viewpoint protagonist, and Clementine, the little girl he assumes the father-figure role for.

The game is thoroughly an adventure game, so don't go into it expecting Call of Duty. A lot of the game is making decisions via dialogue and searching environments for clues. Unlike old-school adventure games like Monkey Island, though, the puzzles generally make sense and, if you're like me, you probably won't get stuck much. There are some action scenes, however, and a few of them (particularly a bell-tower sequence in episode four) are really great. Still, the heart of the game is the characters and the dialogue.

Not much more I can say. If you're a fan of the comics or the show (which is reasonably similar to the comics, albeit with an awful second season), this game is definitely worth a look.

Can you play through it without using a gun? They're a little too violent for me.

Is it a different game on iOS? I bought it a couple weeks ago but haven't played it yet.

For anyone interested, this game is currently 9.99 on Steam. If you haven't played it yet, it's definitely worth a purchase.

I thought episode 5 was a bit weak, but otherwise it was an enjoyable voyage. I don't know about spending 25 on it, but it's certainly worth 10 bucks.

I thought episode 5 was a bit weak, but otherwise it was an enjoyable voyage. I don't know about spending 25 on it, but it's certainly worth 10 bucks.

Considering I got more enjoyment out of Telltale's The Walking Dead than I have out of the show and many sixty dollar games, I'd say it's well worth the 25 bucks. That said, I think I only paid like eighteen or twenty for it during a pre-sale thing.

It was just genuinely an awesome experience, like an interactive comic. Plus, unlike a certain other game that I won't mention because we beat it to death in the Favorite Games topic, your decisions in The Walking Dead actually seem to matter.

For anyone interested, the 400 Days DLC for The Walking Dead came out today. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but the reviews I've seen have all been positive. Looks really good.

For anyone interested, the 400 Days DLC for The Walking Dead came out today. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but the reviews I've seen have all been positive. Looks really good.

YAY! Looks interesting as hell. I have the 4th off, so looks like I'll be playing it all day.

Just beat this game last night. So in all seriousness, how do I go about adopting Clementine? The first chapter was tough to get through, but I couldn't put it down after that.

SPOILER:

I assume it's not possible to play this game and not get infected? I'd replay it if that were the case.

Just beat this game last night. So in all seriousness, how do I go about adopting Clementine? The first chapter was tough to get through, but I couldn't put it down after that.

SPOILER:

I assume it's not possible to play this game and not get infected? I'd replay it if that were the case.

If you're talking about Season 1, then yes, no way to survive.

SPOILER:

Clem is a major character in Season 2, they just confirmed at comic-con. Also, you'll find out what happened to Kenny, whatever that means.

YAY! Looks interesting as hell. I have the 4th off, so looks like I'll be playing it all day.

I thought it was disappointing. The original worked because you got to know all the characters, cared about them, and knew that your actions could have real repercussions in the future. The DLC kind of tossed all that with the short vignettes approach. I didn't get to know any of those people, and I ended up not caring.

On the other hand, I am stoked for Clementine to be in Season 2.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."