• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Looking Ahead: 2013-2014 Cleveland Cavaliers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
Discuss the Cavaliers draft, free agency, and everything else leading up to next season's tip-off here.

Guaranteed Contracts: Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Tyler Zeller, Alonzo Gee, Anderson Varejao
Player Options: Mareese Speights
TO's/Not Fully Guaranteed: CJ Miles, Chris Quinn, Kevin Jones
Qualifying Offers: Omri Casspi (3.3M), Wayne Ellington (3.1M)
Free Agents: Luke Walton, Daniel Gibson, Shaun Livingston

Likely Draft Picks: #1-5 (Our Pick), #17 (Lakers Pick), #34 (Our 2nd Round), #36 (Orlando 2nd Round)

2013 Free Agent Listings: http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

Last edited:
It's Christmas Eve and we are already ready for this season to be over with. "Fun times in Cleveland town everyone."

Last edited:
Why are we trading for Torontos pick if we don't draft anyone with it? Also, its gonna take a big change at this point if you're gonna take Poythress at #3. Maybe you take him 6 or 7 with the Toronto pick but only if you pass on Shabazz at 3 in favor of Noel or Len or Zeller.

Also, if you draft another C in the second round and you have Perkins why are you signing Wright and ONeal?

A couple things:

-you don't seem to be accounting for the Lakers/Heat pick. The Lakers will make the playoffs and their pick will be somewhere in the 15-20 range. Even if for some reason, they don't make the playoffs, we the get and use the Heat pick

-you're not accounting for our own 2nd round pick

-if we acquired the Toronto pick, it will more than likely be for 2013, as it doesn't look like Toronto will be one of the worst 3 teams and the odds would be against them jumping into the top3(at which point they would get to keep the pick)

-with Waiters, Lamb, Gee, and Poythress on the team, there would be no real incentive to keep Miles as he would cut into minutes of those four key guys.

-that roster would still be well under the salary cap, so instead of keeping Gee and signing O'Neal and Brandan Wright, why not aim bigger for a PF/C like Josh Smith, Jefferson, Milsapp, Bynum, or Pekovic?

If you couldn't already tell, the Cavaliers won't be making any noise in the playoffs this season, as their 6-23 record places them fourteenth in the conference, only ahead of the lowly Washington Wizards, and seven games back of eighth seed early in the season.

I feel that, although early, it may be a good time to start looking ahead to next season and how our roster and coaching staff will look for next year's tip.

Roster

Our only guaranteed options for next season are the following (going off of Douglar's thread):

Anderson Varejao (9M)
Kyrie Irving (5.6M)
Tristan Thompson (4.1M)
Dion Waiters (3.9M)
Alonzo Gee (3.3M)
Tyler Zeller (1.6M)

We also have team options on CJ Miles (2.3M) and Kevin Jones (790K).

We will also be able to extend qualifying offers to the following players:

Omri Casspi (3.3M)
Jeremy Pargo (1.3M)
Samardo Samuels (1.1M)
Jon Leuer (1.1M)
Donald Sloan (1.1M)

The only players fully coming off of the books will be Luke Walton and Daniel Gibson.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Draft

If the season ended today, we'd have the third worst record in the league, which would hopefully set us up with a pick somewhere between 2-4.

We also have the top-13 protected Sacramento Kings pick, although, the Kings have a record of 9-18, which is good for only seventh in the league, which means we may have to wait another year to acquire it.

And we have the Miami/Laker pick, which I do not fully understand, and I would appreciate if somebody would let me fully know how that works below.

I haven't been following a ton of the prospects yet, but the following names have been heavily discussed in the Draft Thread and other parts of the forum:

- Shabazz Muhammad
- Otto Porter
- Tony Mitchell
- Cody Zeller
- Nerlens Noel
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Trades

Of course Anderson Varejao has come up as our main trading asset, as have players such as Daniel Gibson and Luke Walton.

Any trades made now would obviously impact our roster next season. What trades do you guys think we should make/consider that would help benefit the team down the road?

Free Agency

Posting a huge list off all of the potential free agents would make this thread about three times larger than it already is, so I'll just throw this link at you guys:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

My Final Roster for the 2013-14 Opening Tip

Here is my final projected roster for the 2013-2014 Opening Tip. Be sure to leave ideas of your own below. It'll be interesting to compare and see how it actually is about ten months from now.

Starting Lineup

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - Dion Waiters
SF - Alex Poythress
PF - Tristan Thompson
C - Tyler Zeller

Bench

G/F - Alonzo Gee
C - Kendrick Perkins
G - Jeremy Lamb
G/F - CJ Miles
F/C - Patric Young
G - Daniel Gibson
F/C - Brendan Wright

Reserves

G - Jeremy Pargo
C - Jermaine O'Neal
F - Jon Leuer

How It Happens:

- The Cavaliers keep Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Alonzo Gee, Tristan Thompson, and Tyler Zeller as their contracts carry over into next season.
- The Cavaliers pick up the contract offer on C.J. Miles (2.25M)
- The Cavaliers extend qualifying offers that are later picked up for Jeremy Pargo and Jon Leuer.
- The Cavaliers trade Anderson Varejao mid-season to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb, and Toronto's 2014 First Round pick.
- The Cavaliers draft forward Alex Poythress with the third overall pick in the 2013 NBA Draft out of Kentucky, and later select power forward/center Patric Young with Orlando's second round pick out of Florida.
- The Cavaliers sign Brendan Wright to a 2yr/6.5mil contract and Jermaine O'Neal to a 1yr/1.8mil contract.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, and be sure to leave your ideas for next year's roster below.

I would be seriously disappointed if we drafted Potytress 3 overall at this point in the season. I think he'll be pretty good but there are a lot better players available at #3

We'd be garunteed one of Ben Mclemore (we'll regret not taking him even if we already have dion. Think hell end up best player from draft), Shabazz Muhammed, Alex Len or Nerlens Noel

A couple things:

-you don't seem to be accounting for the Lakers/Heat pick. The Lakers will make the playoffs and their pick will be somewhere in the 15-20 range. Even if for some reason, they don't make the playoffs, we the get and use the Heat pick

-you're not accounting for our own 2nd round pick

-if we acquired the Toronto pick, it will more than likely be for 2013, as it doesn't look like Toronto will be one of the worst 3 teams and the odds would be against them jumping into the top3(at which point they would get to keep the pick)

-with Waiters, Lamb, Gee, and Poythress on the team, there would be no real incentive to keep Miles as he would cut into minutes of those four key guys.

-that roster would still be well under the salary cap, so instead of keeping Gee and signing O'Neal and Brandan Wright, why not aim bigger for a PF/C like Josh Smith, Jefferson, Milsapp, Bynum, or Pekovic?

1. I didn't understand the Heat/Laker pick thing, so I didn't want to use it and look like an idiot.

2. Everything I've read about the potential deal had it with the 2014 pick, unless I have been horribly misreading things the past few weeks.

3. That's true actually. Didn't think about that. However, if Miles is on the lower tier of your bench, you really can't complain too much.

4. I really didn't throw the salary cap into play much. Once again, there is a reason I'm not an NBA GM.

Why are we trading for Torontos pick if we don't draft anyone with it? Also, its gonna take a big change at this point if you're gonna take Poythress at #3. Maybe you take him 6 or 7 with the Toronto pick but only if you pass on Shabazz at 3 in favor of Noel or Len or Zeller.

Also, if you draft another C in the second round and you have Perkins why are you signing Wright and ONeal?

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure I had it being the 2014 Toronto pick, which obviously is not valid in the 2013 draft.

We lose Kevin Jones, Samuels, and Varejao from our roster.

A rotational big-man crew of Thompson, Zeller, Perkins, and Wright, as they would be the four most likely to play the most looks better than having Thompson, Zeller, Perkins, and then Leuer/Samuels. O'Neal wouldn't play much from my projection, and would serve in that "veteran leadership" role.

Everyone stop attacking me and post your own rosters and projections. :chuckles:

We get the Lakers pick if we want it as long as it is anywhere between 15-29 and give them Miamis in return. If it is 1-14, the lakers pick goes to Phoenix and we just have to keep the Miami pick.

The pick from Toronto that OKC owns is for 2013 lottery, and only gets bumped to 2014 if it lands in the top 3 this year.

So, if we somehow trade for the Toronto pick and its not top three, well probably have something like #3, #6, #15, #33, and #38 this summer alone.

We get the Lakers pick if we want it as long as it is anywhere between 15-29 and give them Miamis in return. If it is 1-14, the lakers pick goes to Phoenix and we just have to keep the Miami pick.

The pick from Toronto that OKC owns is for 2013 lottery, and only gets bumped to 2014 if it lands in the top 3 this year.

So, if we somehow trade for the Toronto pick and its not top three, well probably have something like #3, #6, #15, #33, and #38 this summer alone.

Three more lottery picks? That's insane. We need to find a way to make this happen.

I don't see how a team of Kyrie, Dion, Tristan, Zeller and then THREE more lottery picks wouldn't be able to contend as long as the correct pieces were thrown in there as well.

Three more lottery picks? That's insane. We need to find a way to make this happen.

I don't see how a team of Kyrie, Dion, Tristan, Zeller and then THREE more lottery picks wouldn't be able to contend as long as the correct pieces were thrown in there as well.

Two lottery picks.

So many moving parts right now as far as where draft picks will be and how some of our roster develops that its just too early to make these next year roster posts. But we can look at the timeline:

February - Trading deadline. Once we know if Andy has been traded and for what, a lot more becomes clear. Also, do we make other moves? Do we acquire young talent or established talent. Do we add a pick, like the TOR pick via OKC.

March - March Madness. By this time of the year the ability to see a full season of college guys like Shabazz, Len, Noel, Zeller, Poythress, McLemore, etc.will bring our own pick a little more into focus. Also, by this time Zeller, Dion, and Tristan will have had another 30-40 games of showing us what type of players they project to be, which could affect our draft/trade/FA approach.

April - By this time the draft pick slotting will be come a lot clearer. I strongly believe we will get the Lakers pick(meaning they make the playoffs) but is that pick in the 15-18 range or 18-23 range? If we acquire the Toronto pick, where are they slotted in the lottery high enough that we might lose the pick to pottery protection and have to wait till 2014(which might not be a bad thing) or are they in the 7-9 range and unlikely to rise into the top 3 via the lottery?
Will the Magic bottomed out or will they ride the treadmill of mediocrity all year? The difference from pick 43 to 32 can be a pretty big deal, especially in how it might let us pull a similar deal to the one we did to acquire 17th pick(Zeller) last year. I.e. If the Lakers pick is at 18-19, we might be able to package 19 + our 2nd and Orlandos second to move up as high as 10-12.

Also, by mid April, we know what players have actually declared for the draft, which is obviously key.

May
. Seasons over for us. We have a two full years of evaluation of what we have in Kyrie and Tristan. A full year of evaluation on Dion and Tyler. We take that knowledge and begin to work out the draft eligible players(or not as Dion shows us).

So I love the speculating on individual scenarios in a vacuum, but it is almost impossible at this point to put together an even remotely possible comprehensive roster building plan for 2013.

Everyone stop attacking me and post your own rosters and projections. :chuckles:

Last edited:
So many moving parts right now as far as where draft picks will be and how some of our roster develops that its just too early to make these next year roster posts. But we can look at the timeline:

February - Trading deadline. Once we know if Andy has been traded and for what, a lot more becomes clear. Also, do we make other moves? Do we acquire young talent or established talent. Do we add a pick, like the TOR pick via OKC.

March - March Madness. By this time of the year the ability to see a full season of college guys like Shabazz, Len, Noel, Zeller, Poythress, McLemore, etc.will bring our own pick a little more into focus. Also, by this time Zeller, Dion, and Tristan will have had another 30-40 games of showing us what type of players they project to be, which could affect our draft/trade/FA approach.

April - By this time the draft pick slotting will be come a lot clearer. I strongly believe we will get the Lakers pick(meaning they make the playoffs) but is that pick in the 15-18 range or 18-23 range? If we acquire the Toronto pick, where are they slotted in the lottery high enough that we might lose the pick to pottery protection and have to wait till 2014(which might not be a bad thing) or are they in the 7-9 range and unlikely to rise into the top 3 via the lottery?
Will the Magic bottomed out or will they ride the treadmill of mediocrity all year? The difference from pick 43 to 32 can be a pretty big deal, especially in how it might let us pull a similar deal to the one we did to acquire 17th pick(Zeller) last year. I.e. If the Lakers pick is at 18-19, we might be able to package 19 + our 2nd and Orlandos second to move up as high as 10-12.

Also, by mid April, we know what players have actually declared for the draft, which is obviously key.

May
. Seasons over for us. We have a two full years of evaluation of what we have in Kyrie and Tristan. A full year of evaluation on Dion and Tyler. We take that knowledge and begin to work out the draft eligible players(or not as Dion shows us).

So I love the speculating on individual scenarios in a vacuum, but it is almost impossible at this point to put together an even remotely possible comprehensive roster building plan for 2013.

Not to mention that we have no idea who Chris Grant will actually draft based on advanced metrics and what kind of human beings they are (if he interviews them).

Febuary: Trade AV for larry sanders, tobais harris, and a number 1
Getting starter min. sanders proves he is a 10ppg 10rpg 3bpg defender who will make up for kyrie defensive struggles right now.

Draft: Draft shabazz with our 1st pick. Then trade 17th pick (Bucks) and 22nd (LA) to pheonix for ther 1st (7-10) and Channing Fry saving them 13million for there money conservative owner. Draft James Micheal Mcadoo with that pick

I think Mcadoo would be a great pick because he is more of a role player than a number 1 option like he is this year. He has a good jump shot to 18ft and runs the break he is also a good defender.

Irving/gibson
Waiters/gee
Shabazz/harris
TT/mcadoo (mcadoo will start by season end)
sanders/zeller

That teamwould have alot of scoring balance with kyrie and waiters being primary scorers and shabazz as a 3rd scorer. Mcadoo spaces the court as well as good defense, Sanders will be our defensive anchor. If Mcadoo reaches his defensive potential and paird with sanders all kyrie, waiters, and shabazz have to be is average and we would have a good defensive team.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."