• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Is Demarcus Cousins worth the risk??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should we make a move for Demarcus Cousins

• Trade for him if possible

Votes: 68 56.2%
  • Not worth the risk

Votes: 46 38.0%
  • We (or a 3rd team) dont have the assets

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • No one wants to Boogie in Cleveland

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigfoot5415

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The guy is a headcase, but it seems Sac is considering moving him.

Let The Trade Rumors Fly – Sacramento Kings’ DeMarcus Cousins Not “Untouchable”
Dec 22nd, 2012 at 4:48 pm by Bryan RosaKings

The man, the myth – Sam Amick – has been covering the DeMarcus Cousins saga from top to bottom today and now shocking word from Amick is that the Kings aren’t opposed to moving the big man, assuming the price is right.

Given the Kings poor play in recent years and the lack of progression from just about everybody on the roster, Kings GM Geoff Petrie (who’s known to be overly patient, at times to a fault) could be opening the door to a Cousins move – at least, according to a couple of Amick’s sources:
The odds of the latest incident inspiring the Kings to trade Cousins are likely slim, as he is considered the centerpiece of their prolonged rebuilding effort. But a person with knowledge of the Kings’ plans said “he’s not untouchable,” in large part because the 8-18 team is struggling so mightily and all options appear to be under consideration.

As Amick points out, there certainly isn’t going to be a firesale on Cousins (at least not right now) so any deal would be of a blockbuster proportion – a price most, if not all teams would balk at.

The rumor mill we be churning at an electric pace in the coming weeks and months as everybody loves a potential deal, but a move is quite unlikely in my personal opinion – at least not during the season. More issue and antics combined with a team holding a high draft pick come June or July and I wouldn’t rule out a move, but one right now doesn’t seem to be a priority.

Amick also points out that Cousins has recently changed his representation, though, that could be a simple coincidence.

Kings royally screwed up between DeMarcus Cousins, Maloofs

PUBLISHED Sunday, Dec 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm EST LAST UPDATED 2 days and 19 hours ago

The Sacramento Kings had to suspend DeMarcus Cousins again on Saturday, and after less than 2 1/2 years, it looks as if they would be better off without him.

On the other hand, at age 22 and with a world of unfulfilled potential, Cousins might be better off without the Kings.

Sure, DeMarcus Cousins has issues, but the Maloofs have created Sacramento's toxic environment. (AP Photo)
— Cousins used "extensive profanity"

Only time will tell which ends up being the bigger train wreck. But the fact it’s even a debate after what Cousins did to get suspended says a lot. So does the fact the Kings' faithful are largely undecided, too.

Cousins has given them a lot to be fed up with. The Maloofs, who have mismanaged the Kings to a scandalous level and are still actively shopping them to other cities, have given them more to be upset with for a longer time.

The Kings, of course, are terrible this year—not Wizards terrible, but Friday’s loss to the Clippers in LA left them 8-18. That was the game in which Cousins got into a blistering locker-room argument with coach Keith Smart and was banished for the second half.

The suspension is his third this season but first by the team, albeit at least the fourth disciplinary action the Kings have taken with him. It’s hard to get suspended three times in a 26-game span, and when it happens in one’s third NBA season, the “he needs time to mature” argument gets stale.

Nobody can blame the Kings for running out of patience. You can’t draft 19-year-olds one year out of high school without a healthy reserve of patience, but there are limits. Cousins issued another sincere-sounding apology; he hasn’t figured out how to put actions behind his words. That is, unless you count changing agents the same day you get suspended. That’ll help, sure.

It all raises the question of why Cousins was picked fifth overall in 2010 in the first place, when he was talented enough to go as high as second but immature enough to need to stay in school at least one more year.

Geoff Petrie, as good as it got in NBA front offices when the Kings were chasing the NBA Finals in the early 2000s, has been a shadow of himself lately. His picks have bombed (Jimmer!), his trades have backfired, his roster is weak and the head-coaching job is a revolving door (Smart is the sixth in the last eight seasons).

Cousins, in fact, tangled with Smart’s predecessor, Paul Westphal, in an incident last year that made both of them and the organization look worse off for the encounter. The catalyst: a supposed Cousins trade demand. Westphal said he made it, forcing him to suspend him. The team released a statement supporting Westphal’s side. Cousins insisted he didn’t do it, and to this day it’s questionable that he ever did. One of the co-owners, Joe Maloof, later distanced himself from Westphal’s contention. Westphal ended up getting fired.

Verdict: Cousins was a problem. But he wasn’t the only problem. Neither was Westphal, as time has proved. Neither is Petrie, for that matter.

It starts at the top.

It’s true in the NBA, in all sports, and in all work environments—when management is in disarray and instability is rampant, a character such as Cousins can come in and take over. Right now, everything that’s happening in and around the Kings somehow centers on its most volatile personality.

He’s now a convenient scapegoat for the franchise’s dysfunction. But he’s only the biggest, most visible symptom of it.

Think of the times Dennis Rodman, Latrell Sprewell and Ron Artest, for example, were wreaking havoc with teams ... and think of the times they weren’t. Hint: It wasn’t when there were stronger, more authoritative people around and above them.

The kind of madness constantly circulating around Cousins doesn’t happen around a Tim Duncan and a Gregg Popovich, for example.

Smart, committed owners make sure of that. The Maloofs used to be that. Not anymore.

The Cousins affair is ugly, but it’s also coming just weeks after the latest threat to the Kings’ existence in Sacramento was snuffed, when Virginia Beach was denied state funds to build an arena to lure the team there. Kings fans and the city itself are uptight about a lot more than a petulant young star.

At least if Cousins left—even in a lopsided trade with nothing close to fair value in return—he wouldn’t be taking more than a quarter-century of emotional and financial investment with him.

For the good of himself, his career and the team that drafted him, Cousins might have to go. Even with that disappointment, though, Sacramento would rather see the Maloofs go.

They’re the bigger, longer-lasting headache.

Report: DeMarcus Cousins out again

Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins did not travel with the team for Wednesday night's game against the Portland Trail Blazers, according to a report by the Sacramento Bee.

Coach Keith Smart decided not to bring Cousins on the trip, according to the report. Cousins was reinstated after a one-game suspension for "unprofessional behavior and conduct detrimental to the team." However, Smart told the Sacramento Bee the reinstatement meant Cousins could practice, not necessarily play.

Cousins practiced with the Kings on Monday. Cousins and Smart exchanged words in the locker room during halftime of Sacramento's loss at the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday night. Smart benched Cousins for the entire second half and ordered him to remain in the locker room.
Cousins' suspension initially was termed indefinite.

The 22-year-old Cousins has been suspended two other times by the NBA this season because of his conduct.

Apparently there is a scuffle among the Maloofs and management. Neither side can commit to the type of return they would want for Cousins. Some say young players & picks, others say talent & or cap relief.

The only contract that really hurts them is what they owe to John Salmons. He is owed $22 mil over the next 3 years with year 3 being a team option. If they are trying to gut the team, he would be the first to go.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can also see Cousins has one additional year on his contract. Odds are he will be getting a big pay day after this one is up. Not sure how much we would have to give up considering he will be a FA at the end of next season.

From a talent stand point Cousins is very promising

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Maybe a 3 way trade:
To SAC: Zeller+ TOR 2013 1st + CLE 2014 (or protected 2013 1st)+ CLE 2013 2nd+ Lamb
To OKC: Varejao
To CLE: Cousins + Salmons

Gives them cap relief, 2 young prospects, and future picks. Perkins could possibly go to SAC, but it would eliminate the cap relief. Some other outbound salary must be involved for OKC to make the trade work. However, he may be one of the few guys that could go in there and clean up the locker room. It also helps OKC with their title run.

Do you want this guy???

Yes.

I don't like your trade, though, way too much.

There are Rasheed Wallace types and Z-Bo types. Guys who have found ways to mature enough to contribute heavily to the success of their team. There are also Derrick Coleman types. Guys who never mature and remain cancers to their teams. I'm not sure what type Cousins will be. Sacramento is a bad place for him but he has made it worse. As I mentioned in another thread he is essentially the antithesis of Tristan Thompson. I wouldn't hang up on Sacramento if they called. But I'm not sure Cousins is ever worth the risk.

The thing that makes me want him is that you honestly could not ask for a better fit next to Tristan Thompson based on the skill-set of Cousins.

Last edited:
Without question.. Really talented big man..

Please post alternative trade suggestions that give SAC value as well as all of the proper salary rules are followed. I would be interested to see where his value lies among our board members

With the ability Cousins has, he is a great fit next to TT on both ends of the floor.

I've always felt he has the potential to be the next best center after a healthy Bynum/Dwight. Decent risk, extremely high reward.

obv depends entirely on the details of the trade. the real problem is that the cavs do not have the veteran players (with or without varejao) or enough of a well-respected/established organization to really maximize the chances of cousins turning it around. with the price the kings will probably demand, you don't do it unless it is an absolute home run guarantee that he'll succeed on your team.

he has his issues, and his struggles are compounded 5x over because of that organization...but he has more upside than any player kyrie has ever played with in cleveland. the cavs should at the very minimum have preliminary talks to gauge the potential opportunity. anything past that depends on how those talks go. i doubt a reasonable deal can be reached, but grant would be dumb not to at least call.

Take the risk.. if he hits Kyrie and Cousins are the best 1-2 punch in the league going forward.

It's time to get the ball rolling.. and I feel the Cavs are in the same state of mind.

obv depends entirely on the details of the trade. the real problem is that the cavs do not have the veteran players (with or without varejao) or enough of a well-respected/established organization to really maximize the chances of cousins turning it around. with the price the kings will probably demand, you don't do it unless it is an absolute home run guarantee that he'll succeed on your team.

he has his issues, and his struggles are compounded 5x over because of that organization...but he has more upside than any player kyrie has ever played with in cleveland. the cavs should at the very minimum have preliminary talks to gauge the potential opportunity. anything past that depends on how those talks go. i doubt a reasonable deal can be reached, but grant would be dumb not to at least call.

Cousins is the most immature NBA player I have ever seen. I wouldn't touch that dude he literally has mental issues IMO

I love the talent he would bring, and the potential ...but, the risks and locker room issues that he would bring to a very young team would be extremely damaging, IMHO. His presence could really damage what we have building here, and Chris Grant knows how important it is the have and keep a quality growth environment within the framework of a young developing team. I heard lots of what was going on within that Kings team when JJ was there, and how toxic it had gotten. To the point he asked to get out or he would have left the team on his own. Which is basically what it came to. Cousins best situation would and should be a strong veteran team with a strong head coach in place where he would come in and wouldn't have any strong internal dynamic within the team's roster of players. Where veteran leaders are in place throughout and when he goes out of line, he has a structure of intolerance within the front office, coaching staff, and most importantly within the player ranks. The Cavs would have the right organization in all aspects except the roster of players, which is too young, too fragile ...not nearly evolved enough to be able to take in a personality like Demarcus Cousins and not have him take over too much power and possible influence within the team's young roster of players, which is only going to be getting younger ...For that reason, I would have to avoid making such a move..as hard as it is to look away from a talent as big as his.

Last edited:
I would do it but for not as much as we are giving up. Also I wouldn't want Salmons on the team..even if an expired contract. I would want to go after Milsap or Jefferson first.

Only when the team is ready to contend and has the necessary "equipment" to handle meltdowns.

Step 1) Build the core
Step 2) Build the depth
Step 3) Pave way to a contender
Final Step) Get your "Rasheed Wallace"

Why do you think the Piston's looked so good between 2003-2008?

I say pass.

This is the kind of thing the Cavs can use to help move a deal along.

Think about it like this.

With the Kevin Love rumors what if the Cavs can land Love with the Wolves getting Cousins.

What if it's possible to do so with out giving up AV since the Kings may have to sell low. What if the Kings wanted a bunch of picks/youth instead of a proven player?

What if it was something like TT/Walton/Gibson then the rights to the Kings pick returned/Heat picks/2014 Cavs pick/Rights to Lakers swap. Due to the cap space Cavs can eat contracts and the bounty of picks allows the Cavs to offer quite a few of them to make a move if one comes across the table.

It's all hypothetical but it happend with Dwight, Magic didn't want a proven player in Bynum. It seemed as if the Magic had no interest in even attempting to sign Bynum in a straight up deal. Magic valued youth and picks more than Bynum who isn't old but is a known/proven entity.

If the Cavs are linked to Cousins in any way it wouldn't be because Cousins is coming to Cleveland imo

Last edited:
I say if available within reason, do it. He's a big time talent at a position of big time need. It's damn near impossible to find a player at the center position with his skill set. He has issues and they need to be resolved but if it weren't for those issues he wouldn't be available. We would have to add some veterens that can keep him in check eventually but Byron Scott seems like somebody Cousins would have a lot of respect for and somebody he would be scared of. We may never have another opportunity to trade for a talent like this and these are the types of risks we need to take to build this team. Cousins will not be available next year or the year after that when we are ready to compete. If he's available at a reasonable price we have to jump at the opportunity.

I'm not all for the "gotta have saints only on the team" theory, but Cousins is a special kind of sketchy, and there would have to be TONS of due diligence before that kid gets brought here.

Plus I'd fear a difficult contract situation in a year or two with him

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."