• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Is Demarcus Cousins worth the risk??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should we make a move for Demarcus Cousins

• Trade for him if possible

Votes: 68 56.2%
  • Not worth the risk

Votes: 46 38.0%
  • We (or a 3rd team) dont have the assets

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • No one wants to Boogie in Cleveland

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cousins has all the potential in the world. Even with all of his "problems" with the Kings, he is still an above average Center in the league. If the Cavs can get them for a reasonable price (no idea what that may be), you have to go for it.

Why is he shooting only 41% from the field this season so far? Does he take so many jumpshots?
I know the Kings lack a good point guard, but 41% as a Center is terrible... He's shooting 77% on free throws though

Lots of good big men in the next draft... Thus not sure about taking a gamble on Cousins, definitely wouldn't give up much for him

No. Team destroyer who needs leadership joining a team with no veterans? Disaster scenario. Anything involving care jato or next years number 1 is too much for this guy. I have no desire to see our young guys dragged down by his act

I only see one possible scenario where ending up with Cousins could be a (very) good thing. It's actually somewhat realistic and along the same line as what's already being discussed elsewhere, but it would require both of these trades to happen:

Typical proposed OKC trade: TOR 1st, Perkins for Varejao. Lamb/PJ3 or anything else in return would only serve as a bonus in this scenario.

Trade with Sacramento: Cavs (or TOR) 2013 #1, TT, Gee for Cousins + a filler/bad contract. If need be, give them the rights to their #1 and add Waiters into the mix.

Again, both trades would have to take place in order for this to (hopefully) offset the cancer of a teammate that is Cousins. If the OKC deal were to happen first, we'd have the option of replacing the TOR 1st with our own if need be. Hell, I wouldn't even mind parting with Waiters (or Lamb) and tossing a #2 to OKC if it assured both of these would happen. Most of us would agree to make the OKC deal regardless, but in this case Perkins becomes almost as valuable as the TOR pick by playing the role of a hard-nosed vet who could set Cousins in line whenever he acts up. Combine Perk with Byron's presence and the upside of playing next to a budding stud in Kyrie -- I don't think we'd have to many issues with keeping Cousins' attitude in check.

Potentially losing Dion would suck, but this is a scenario that I could actually see working out in our favor in spite of that. Kyrie and a disciplined Cousins would be a deadly 1-2 combo; with lotto pick next year and insane amounts of cap space, I'd say we'd be in a great position going forward.

It would take a hell of a lot of luck and likely verbal agreements from the offices of both parties, but it's slightly plausible. I'm partial otherwise. It would be great to have a big of Cousins' caliber, and I think he'd be relatively happy anywhere not named Sacramento at this point, but we'd probably have to give up too much to counter the glaring risks, barring everything previously mentioned.

Doesnt sound like the Kings FO is planning to be "reasonable" with their demands based on the articles posted, and the tougher question is, are we really ok with giving this kid a max deal? Cuz that's what it would take to keep him here when his contract is up.

I say no.

I think Cousins would benefit a lot in Cleveland. Sacramento doesn't really have a team leader or role model. What many people see as an issue, I see as passion in Cousins. If someone can get him to control himself, he'd thrive. I like Kevin Love, but he's a good fantasy player, not a game winning player. Though I don't think we should give up a lotto pick for him. The team also has an abundance of guards, so there could be a good 3 team trade where they can trade Evans for a legit small forward.

Pipe dream because it's a 4 team trade but...

Indiana
in-Tyreke Evans, Kendrick Perkins and Sacramento 1st round pick
out-Danny Granger

OKC
in-Anderson Varejao
out-Kendrick Perkins, Charlotte's 2nd round pick, Toronto 1st round pick

Sacramento
in-Danny Granger, Daniel Gibson, Charlotte's 2nd round pick, Toronto 1st round pick
out-Tyreke Evans, Demarcus Cousins, John Salmons

Cleveland
in-Demarcus Cousins, John Salmons
out-Daniel Gibson, Anderson Varejao, Sacramento 1st round pick

We give up our Sacramento pick, but who knows if it's even going to pay off. Sacramento gets a lotto pick and will probably keep their own this season anyway. Indiana lets Paul George switch to the SF and will have a starting line up of George Hill, Tyreke Evans, Paul George, David West and Roy Hibbert. That would be an instant upgrade over their current SG situation. OKC gets a huge upgrade at the C.

What a pipe dream.

If you could get Cousins without giving up AV (Tristan and Zeller + future pick for Cousins?), then I'd do it in a heart beat. Cousins is the perfect fit next to Andy, and would be the offensively talent big man this team lacks.

Giving up AV, our only true veteran presence, to get Cousins? I'd still consider doing it, but you'd have to think hard and do your homework.

One on side, we need talent in the front court in order to grow Kyrie's game. I honestly think Cousins has star potential if he can get his shit together. On the flip side, we can't really afford to risk assets and have Cousins flame out here in a year or two.

I'd pull the trigger, but my job wouldn't be on the line.

I think Cousins would benefit a lot in Cleveland. Sacramento doesn't really have a team leader or role model. What many people see as an issue, I see as passion in Cousins. If someone can get him to control himself, he'd thrive. I like Kevin Love, but he's a good fantasy player, not a game winning player. Though I don't think we should give up a lotto pick for him. The team also has an abundance of guards, so there could be a good 3 team trade where they can trade Evans for a legit small forward.

Completely disagree. After all, rebounding is probably the simple stat that is most conducive to wins. He's very fundamentally sound, knows where to be on the court, and makes the right pass. Quick and strong enough to be a good team defender.
Minnesota is sitting at 13-13 right now, and they haven't had Rubio for most of the year. The rest of their roster is shit. Love definitely plays winning basketball. I do think he was somewhat out of line to demand the organization to "get him help, quick." I mean, he was only like 22 at the time, and he's not at superstar level IMO. Granted their front office sucks, he's acting like he's the cornerstone. Well, he'll probably have to be the 2nd best player on a team if his team is gonna contend.

Pipe dream because it's a 4 team trade but...

Indiana
in-Tyreke Evans, Kendrick Perkins and Sacramento 1st round pick
out-Danny Granger

OKC
in-Anderson Varejao
out-Kendrick Perkins, Charlotte's 2nd round pick, Toronto 1st round pick

Sacramento
in-Danny Granger, Daniel Gibson, Charlotte's 2nd round pick, Toronto 1st round pick
out-Tyreke Evans, Demarcus Cousins, John Salmons

Cleveland
in-Demarcus Cousins, John Salmons
out-Daniel Gibson, Anderson Varejao, Sacramento 1st round pick

We give up our Sacramento pick, but who knows if it's even going to pay off. Sacramento gets a lotto pick and will probably keep their own this season anyway. Indiana lets Paul George switch to the SF and will have a starting line up of George Hill, Tyreke Evans, Paul George, David West and Roy Hibbert. That would be an instant upgrade over their current SG situation. OKC gets a huge upgrade at the C.

What a pipe dream.

This does not look bad to me.
I don't think Indy needs Perkins though, and since he's probably a worse contract than Salmons, Perkins should go to us, and Salmons should go to Indy. I think Indy would love that deal. Give Sac's pick back to them rather than Indy. Let's keep Gibson then and send Walton instead. Sac doesn't need Gibson. Give them Zeller if they want more. Hard to know what Sac thinks is a good deal for Cousins, but it's a good deal for everyone else.

Many see Cousins as the issue in Sacramento and I don't necessarily disagree... I think the major problem is 1) the management and 2) Tyreke Evans.

I'm sorry, but for as sour as things have been in Sac-town, Tyreke Evans has been a main cog. I would rather have Cousins 10 fold over Evans at this point.

Many see Cousins as the issue in Sacramento and I don't necessarily disagree... I think the major problem is 1) the management and 2) Tyreke Evans.

I'm sorry, but for as sour as things have been in Sac-town, Tyreke Evans has been a main cog. I would rather have Cousins 10 fold over Evans at this point.

Kevin Love is twice the player Cousins is and 100 times the teammate and person... whomever thinks Love isn't a wiining player is dumb...sorry...he rebounds liek a monster,understands the game well,and it as hard of a worker as there is

Cousins is and has been the most immature baby I have ever seen...he don't need traded what he needs is for someone just to whip his ass IMO...that is what he reminds me of...1 of those wanna be tough guys that act a fool until someone whips their ass for him

I love the talent he would bring, and the potential ...but, the risks and locker room issues that he would bring to a very young team would be extremely damaging, IMHO. His presence could really damage what we have building here, and Chris Grant knows how important it is the have and keep a quality growth environment within the framework of a young developing team. I heard lots of what was going on within that Kings team when JJ was there, and how toxic it had gotten. To the point he asked to get out or he would have left the team on his own. Which is basically what it came to. Cousins best situation would and should be a strong veteran team with a strong head coach in place where he would come in and wouldn't have any strong internal dynamic within the team's roster of players. Where veteran leaders are in place throughout and when he goes out of line, he has a structure of intolerance within the front office, coaching staff, and most importantly within the player ranks. The Cavs would have the right organization in all aspects except the roster of players, which is too young, too fragile ...not nearly evolved enough to be able to take in a personality like Demarcus Cousins and not have him take over too much power and possible influence within the team's young roster of players, which is only going to be getting younger ...For that reason, I would have to avoid making such a move..as hard as it is to look away from a talent as big as his.

So Cousins, John Salmon, Jimmer to Dallas for Kaman, Wright, and Dahntay Jones?

Kevin Love is twice the player Cousins is and 100 times the teammate and person... whomever thinks Love isn't a wiining player is dumb...sorry...he rebounds liek a monster,understands the game well,and it as hard of a worker as there is

Cousins is and has been the most immature baby I have ever seen...he don't need traded what he needs is for someone just to whip his ass IMO...that is what he reminds me of...1 of those wanna be tough guys that act a fool until someone whips their ass for him

Wait.. Did you mean to quote my post? I'm saying that Tyreke Evans is an issue on Sacramento as much as Cousins. Yes, I would prefer Kevin Love too, but that is an Amare Safari waiting to happen, IMO. :pray:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."