• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Browns "reboot" coaching search

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth

Get Royce or Die Trying
Staff member
Reaction score
Alright with Chip Kelly officially returning back to Oregon and the Kelly Safari running it's course, I figured it'd be good to start a new thread to discuss further Browns coaching news..

So, with that said here's where the Browns officially stand on their current candidates who they've interviewed:

Mike-Zimmer.jpg

MIKE ZIMMER

120111075644_Rob_20Chudzinski_large.jpg

ROB CHUDZINSKI

111001-F-ML224-373.jpg

TROY CALHOUN

Montreal-Alouettes-head-football-coach-Marc-Trestman_20130107120837554_335_220.JPG

MARC TRESTMAN

47723d1357086409t-cardinals-interview-defensive-coordinator-ray-horton-head-ray-horton2.png

RAY HORTON

92229582.0_standard_352.0.jpg

KEN WHISENHUNT

With the Browns now opening up their search and with the fired coaches now known, I thought I'd update my top-10 list as well:

1. Lovie Smith (N/A) - no doubt my top choice for the new coach with the search now opened up... I really don't understand why he hasn't gotten more buzz or why he got fired from Chicago in the first place, as I really do think he is a good coach... Now I realize offense was a problem in Chicago, but him getting another job would be dependent on getting a viable OC to come with him... Other than that, I really don't see a downside to him...

2. Mike Sherman (MIA) - I really like Sherman as a candidate and he's another guy who should be getting some buzz... He may be a bit older but I still think he has one last good run in him as a head coach... I like that he's been very successful at Green Bay and then went back to college recently and was successful there... This league is about offense and developing QBs and Sherman has the ability to do that...

3. Jack Del Rio (DEN) - he's more of a guy who was stuck in a rut in Jacksonville and with a new owner coming in, it wasn't going to favor him staying there.. I like Del Rio and thought he always kept those Jacksonville teams competitive despite not being overly talented on either side of the ball or having a top-notch QB... Again, like the top two candidates, he should be getting a lot more play in HC searches but isn't for some reason... Denver going deep in the playoffs could be a deterrent to some teams but getting the right HC in place is important...

4. Ken Whisenhunt (N/A) - I think Whisenhunt is a solid coach and would be an okay hire but nothing stands out about him... He did do well with average talent (bad talent on the OL) and took that team to a Super Bowl but there are some warts with Whisenhunt that bother me... His offense was never too good, he never developed any QBs (yes I realize they had terrible ones but still), once players were in his doghouse they were history and he was a bit stubborn in his time in Zona... Again, he'd be a solid hire but there's some concerns with him...

5. Jay Gruden (CIN) - of all the guys without head coaching experience at the NFL level, I like Gruden the best... His background is really encouraging, his bloodlines is encouraging and, like I mentioned before, he is an offensive guy who can develop QBs... I also like that he seems to be able to be a leader...

6. Hue Jackson (CIN) - again, Jackson is a solid coach but has his warts too... I do think he would be a solid hire but there's some worries with him leading a team..

7. Mike McCoy (DEN)- I had McCoy a lot higher on my list earlier but after reading more about his potential leadership skills, I'm a bit worried... I haven't heard a lot of negatives on him but I also haven't heard a lot of positive comments about people seeing him as a leadership type... He's the type of guy who would need to interview well.. Again, with Denver in the playoffs it could hinder interviews with him...

8. Ray Horton (ARZ) - I know I have Horton this low but I really would be low-key excited if he was the choice... I really see him as being a guy who the players will respond to and like... He wouldn't be a big PR hit but bringing in a former Steeler/Bengal would be kinda cool to resurrect those rivalries... He reportedly interviewed real well with the Browns and in his other interviews so he's a guy to keep an eye on... If Whisenhunt could bring him with him, I'd really like that..

9. Gus Bradley (SEA) - he's a rising coordinator with the job he's done with the Seahawks defense... My worry with him is that he's been in the NFL for only a handful of years... But Monte Kiffin called him a once in a lifetime type coach, so there's that...

10. Darrell Bevell (SEA) - he's a guy who I still think is a year or two away from being ready but he's been starting to get looks, especially with Russell Wilson's play... He's a good offensive mind who comes off as having the leadership abilities...

Notes on other guys:

- Arians and Zimmer are guys high on some other people's lists but I just don't see it with them... I think there's a reason they've been assistants for as long as they have and never have really had HC buzz..

- David Shaw is not leaving Stanford... That's his dream job.. He also just received a lucrative extension... If he would somehow be able to be convinced to though, he would be in my top-5... No other college coaches will make the jump..

- No thank you to Roman, Shanahan, Dennison, or McDaniels... I don't think any of them have what it takes to be a good head coach...

- I don't see any position coaches or special team coaches worthy of consideration... On top of that, that is not what this team needs right now...

- I still need to do more research about Marc Trestman..

- There were some unconfirmed reports the Browns interviewed Air Force HC Troy Calhoun and one other candidate...

- I still think we're going to see Haslam and Banner take one last run at their dream trio (Saban, Cowher and Gruden) before they move on...

- So with Jackson, Del Rio and Sherman not likely getting any looks and the Browns not likely getting their dream trio, my top-5 realistically looks like Smith, Whisenhunt, Gruden, McCoy and Horton...

Last edited:
I would defiantly hire Lovie Smith if he could get Norv Turner as his offensive coordinator. If we want an offensive mind I guess you could argue Marc Trestman is the best based on what he has accomplished on that side of the ball.

I'd love to have Lovie, Norv would be an extreme bonus as well at OC. Any good players from Chicago that are free agents? They enjoyed Lovie there, they even pushed for him to keep his job.

My only issue with Lovie or Wisenhunt is that they're not exactly a "culture change" type. Yes, they're good coaches, but I do recall hearing Haslam saying that he wanted to change the culture. Chip Kelly would've done that. Now, they've got to find the hunger in a guy that is on the level of a Tomlin, Harbaugh, etc.

If we're are rumored to be throwing 10 years and 100 million at Saban we should also be throwing that at Cowher and Gruden. They're worth it

If we're are rumored to be throwing 10 years and 100 million at Saban we should also be throwing that at Cowher and Gruden. They're worth it

Any of those guys needs to commit for at least 5 years for me to want them. I'm not sold on 3 years of one of these guys yet.

P.S. Although the guy I want is on the list in my sig, I still haven't lost the bet!

OBR rumors involving some HC candidates

Not Jon, but Jay, the OC in Cincinnati is drawing quiet interest from the Browns.

If the Browns do not have a HC in place or in negotiations with a HC, the Browns may approach the Bengals with an interview request.

LA

The Colts had not received an interview request from the Browns for Bruce Arians as of Saturday evening.

It is likely the Browns will be making the request by Tuesday.

LA

The Browns intend on contacting Saban's agent one last time to gauge his interest, following the National Championship game on Monday.

LA

The Browns again are gauging Cowher's interest in returning to the sideline.

LA

TheOBR has learned former coach and ESPN analyst Jon Gruden could make a decision this week on whether he will interview and/or return to the NFL.

LA

According to a source close to theOBR, Marc Trestman will interview this week for the Browns HC job.

LA

TheOBR is receiving conflicting information whether the Browns have an interest in former Bears HC Lovie Smith.

LW

There is talk stemming from the interview process that the Browns will be inquiring, if they haven't already to bring In SF OC Greg Roman and player personnel Tom Gamble in together for interviews.

LA

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Browns">#Browns</a> in Chicago today to interview Marc Trestman for head coach. <a href="http://t.co/guAnukwg" title="http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&amp;post_id=10461">espncleveland.com/common/more.ph…</a></p>&mdash; Tony Grossi (@TonyGrossi) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/288288860344053760" data-datetime="2013-01-07T14:19:55+00:00">January 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No doubt in my mind that the Browns are trying to hire a progressive offensive mind who has a strong personality and clear direction. I believe that is why we're not hearing a ton about Horton or Lovie.

Trestman isnt a bad option, looked up his coaching history

I think we need to score big, if we got Trestman at HC and he develops are Offense could we not throw some great money at Lovie or Horton to be are DC...I mean i dont have a real problem with Jauron but i think if we could steal Lovie as a DC that'd be incredible...

Whichever one is generally the least desirable and most laugh-inducing...that's the guy the Browns will be able to get.

A CFL coach would seem to fit the bill for the second part.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Browns">#Browns</a> in Chicago today to interview Marc Trestman for head coach. <a href="http://t.co/guAnukwg" title="http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=10461">espncleveland.com/common/more.ph…</a></p>— Tony Grossi (@TonyGrossi) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/288288860344053760" data-datetime="2013-01-07T14:19:55+00:00">January 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is interesting to me. I had not even thought of Trestman before yesterday. But, the guy has succeeded pretty much everywhere he's been. His resume really is pretty impressive. I could care less the dude looks like he got the snot beat out of him his entire childhood life. Who cares? He has ties to Bernie Kosar both in college and with CLE. You look at the offenses of the team's he's coached and it's pretty damn impressive.

I know people hate Weeden, and I'm not exactly enthralled with the guy either, but Trestman has done wonders for many a QB throughout his years. He's done very, very well in the CFL. Yes, I know that, in and of itself, is not some huge feather in his cap. But, he was there as a HC and he wins...all the time. There's something to be said for consistant winning like that. There's a lot to be said for what he has accomplished his entire coaching career.

He may not be the big splash guy like Kelly would have been, but he's got a lot going for him. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be some ego maniac who wants all power, either. I'm curious to see what our brass thinks of him and how the interview goes.

The thing with Trestman is that he worked with Weeden leading up to the 2012 NFL draft and was a QB coach/ OC during the Bernie hay day. I respect their decision to interview a champion (albeit in the CFL) who has a knack for maximizing his QB's play at every stop in both the NFL and CFL. Also, he has been with MTL for his entire contract. Laugh all you want, but not looking his way isn't wise.

The thing with Trestman is that he worked with Weeden leading up to the 2012 NFL draft and was a QB coach/ OC during the Bernie hay day. I respect their decision to interview a champion (albeit in the CFL) who has a knack for maximizing his QB's play at every stop in both the NFL and CFL. Also, he has been with MTL for his entire contract. Laugh all you want, but not looking his way isn't wise.

I'm still trying to find an intelligent argument against the guy. You can't just rip on the dude because he was a CFL HC. I mean, ya, if he failed as a CFL guy then fine, pound salt dude. But, he didn't. He's been incredibly successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."