• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Non-Varejao Trade Ideas

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

runningfan2

Rookie
Reaction score
Now that the probability of Anderson Varejao being traded has subsided (probably until the offseason), it's time to look at other potential trades the Cavaliers might make. Despite the loss of Varejao, the Cavaliers still have several potential trade assets that could be utilized before the trade deadline. The main assets are the expiring contracts of Luke Walton, Daniel Gibson, and Omri Casspi, the $10 million dollars in cap space the Cavs currently have, and the five (possibly six depending on how the Kings' pick shakes out) first round picks the team has over the next three years. While some of the assets can or will be available over the summer, some will not, and I'd like to focus on some things the Cavs could do before the upcoming trade deadline.

Asset #1: Luke Walton and his six million dollar expiring contract. While Walton has had some moments this season, most observers would agree that he is no longer a rotation-caliber NBA player. He also remains the most likely Cavalier to be moved by the trade deadline. Any Walton trade will probably involve taking on a longer contract another team wants to be rid of, as well as a promising young player or draft pick for the Cavaliers' troubles. Examples of potential trades might be Walton to the Milwaukee Bucks for Drew Gooden and a young player such as John Henson or Tobias Harris, or Walton to Denver for Wilson Chandler and a protected draft pick.

Assets #2 and #3: Daniel Gibson and Omri Casspi's contracts. While Gibson's contract is double that of Casspi's, they both offer similar value to contending teams; a solid three point shooter with an expiring contract. Either of these players have more value than Walton in that their play could actually help a contending team. Teams that need three point shooting such as Denver, Minnesota, and Utah might be interested. Trade examples would be either player to Denver for Chandler and Jordan Hamilton, to Utah along with a low first or second round pick for Alec Burks, and to Minnesota for JJ. Barea.

Asset #4: Cap Space. The Cavs are unlikely to use all of their cap space in any one deal, but they could absorb a bad contract as long as a solid young player or draft pick came back. Besides acquiring the players and assets previously listed, A trade for Tayshaun Prince or Charlie Villanueva and a first round pick is a possibility, as is a trade for John Salmons and either a lessening of the protections of the Kings' picked owed the Cavs, or the addition of a player such as Jason Thompson or even Thomas Robinson.
Asset #5: Draft picks. The will probably trade some of these picks in the future. The most likely scenario is to move up higher in the draft much like the way they acquired Tyler Zeller. That being said, they could also be packaged to trade for a fairly young star level player they really like. Rudy Gay’s relative inefficiency combined with his contract don't scream a typical Cavaliers deal, but a trade for Thaddeus Young may make more sense.

What are some things you see the Cavs doing going forward? As frustrating as this season has been, Chris Grant is typically a very active General Manager, and the Cavs are as likely as any team to make a move before the deadline.

Cavs trade:
Paragraph Organization Skills

runningfan2 trade:
Cash

Just playing man :chuckles:

Last edited:
I really don't see any trade to be really made outside of Andy, but that's just me.
Yeah we have expiring contacts, but who's really left out there that is tradeable and not on a "super" team?
I see the deadline coming and going this year for us.

I would think that the new CBA really kicking in next year may make expiring contracts more valuable then they were before. It will be interesting to see what Grant does.

I think the Cavaliers are more likely to make a trade in the offseason - either to jump in the draft or to deal Andy.

The reason I could still be a trade before the deadline is teams can still avoid paying the tax for this season if they cut salary soon.

Sup.

I'm running the cavs in an offseason forum mock on another website and I put varejao on the block and stated that I have an expiring contract in Luke Walton.

The dude running the magic offered Al Harrington for Walton.

Yay or nay? If nay, what do you take from the magic for him?

Nay. Harrington's still owed lots of $$$ after this year (only 1/2 of each of the next 2 seasons is guaranteed, tho).

They have a couple of #1's in future years that might be nice

Nay. Harrington's still owed lots of $$$ after this year (only 1/2 of each of the next 2 seasons is guaranteed, tho).

They have a couple of #1's in future years that might be nice

So what's your counter offer? (If you feel like thinking of one)

He doesn't want to give up first founders. As far as I'm concerned that kills it for me.

Luke Walton for Richard Jefferson + Right to swap Heat pick with Golden State's own 2013 1st round pick (protected 7-30) + 2015 1st round pick unprotected.

Luke Walton for Richard Jefferson + Right to swap Heat pick with Golden State's own 2013 1st round pick (protected 7-30) + 2015 1st round pick unprotected.

How nasty is his contract? This seems like it's a rather steep price for the Warriors.

Cavs would be paying about an additional 15 million total in this trade, contract expires after next season.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."