• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Non-Varejao Trade Ideas

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Cavs would be paying about an additional 15 million total in this trade, contract expires after next season.

Golden State would benefit a ton considering they look to be a playoff team in the West now. if they're truly feel confident about their roster it's a trade i could see them making.

Grape vines???:fingersx:

Three team deal. The Grizzlies get Thaddeus Young and Omri Casspi. The Sixers get Luke Walton and CJ Miles. The Cavs get Rudy Gay and Arnett Moultrie.

The Sixers are unlikely to make the playoffs and are over the cap. This gives them the chance to get under the cap and possibly retool somewhat around Holiday, Turner, this year's lottery pick, and possibly Bynum. The Cavs could throw in a lower first round pick as well.

The Grizzlies get a cheaper and arguably better player in Young and a floor spacer in Casspi.They save significant money.

The Cavs get a very good small forward in Gay and a cheap young big in Moultrie who could be in the rotation as the fourth big when Varejao returns.

Now that the probability of Anderson Varejao being traded has subsided (probably until the offseason), it's time to look at other potential trades the Cavaliers might make. Despite the loss of Varejao, the Cavaliers still have several potential trade assets that could be utilized before the trade deadline. The main assets are the expiring contracts of Luke Walton, Daniel Gibson, and Omri Casspi, the $10 million dollars in cap space the Cavs currently have, and the five (possibly six depending on how the Kings' pick shakes out) first round picks the team has over the next three years. While some of the assets can or will be available over the summer, some will not, and I'd like to focus on some things the Cavs could do before the upcoming trade deadline.

Asset #1: Luke Walton and his six million dollar expiring contract. While Walton has had some moments this season, most observers would agree that he is no longer a rotation-caliber NBA player. He also remains the most likely Cavalier to be moved by the trade deadline. Any Walton trade will probably involve taking on a longer contract another team wants to be rid of, as well as a promising young player or draft pick for the Cavaliers' troubles. Examples of potential trades might be Walton to the Milwaukee Bucks for Drew Gooden and a young player such as John Henson or Tobias Harris, or Walton to Denver for Wilson Chandler and a protected draft pick.

Assets #2 and #3: Daniel Gibson and Omri Casspi's contracts. While Gibson's contract is double that of Casspi's, they both offer similar value to contending teams; a solid three point shooter with an expiring contract. Either of these players have more value than Walton in that their play could actually help a contending team. Teams that need three point shooting such as Denver, Minnesota, and Utah might be interested. Trade examples would be either player to Denver for Chandler and Jordan Hamilton, to Utah along with a low first or second round pick for Alec Burks, and to Minnesota for JJ. Barea.

Asset #4: Cap Space. The Cavs are unlikely to use all of their cap space in any one deal, but they could absorb a bad contract as long as a solid young player or draft pick came back. Besides acquiring the players and assets previously listed, A trade for Tayshaun Prince or Charlie Villanueva and a first round pick is a possibility, as is a trade for John Salmons and either a lessening of the protections of the Kings' picked owed the Cavs, or the addition of a player such as Jason Thompson or even Thomas Robinson.
Asset #5: Draft picks. The will probably trade some of these picks in the future. The most likely scenario is to move up higher in the draft much like the way they acquired Tyler Zeller.

I'm beginning to think, as the possiblity of Lebron James becomes more and more likely for the 2014 season, and with Varejao's trade value being negatively impacted due to his string of bad injuries the past three seasons .. I mean, if the return for Varejao would be a mid to late 1st round pick that has in it's likelihood a Tyler Zeller level big man prospect ....It may actually be better for us, if we are anticipating hitting the ground running in 2014 trying to get a championship right out of the gate ...having Varejao onboard would not only make coming back to CLE all the more intrigueing and us more able to contend right away in Lebron's eyes ...but he would be a great chemistry fit for us as a team to be perfectly honest.

If you presume we lock down our young center of the future in this coming draft, then it would be a perfect role for Varejao, late in his career, to go back to the role that suits his style of play, and our needs perfectly at that point, as a super-sub big man off the bench. Say we also get our starting SG either via trade, draft, or free agency ...we could presumably have a rotation of Len, Thompson, James, SG, Irving .... and our bench rotation of Varejao, Waiters, Gee.

Then possibly use Zeller, our plethora of extra picks to go along with our own ...and our advantage of cap space etc ...to parlay those to find a top notch starting SG ... NOW,... ! That my friends is a young quality rotation that could be a championship level favorite for many years in succession ... dream away.... I am.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think, as the possiblity of Lebron James becomes more and more likely for the 2014 season, and with Varejao's trade value being negatively impacted due to his string of bad injuries the past three seasons .. I mean, if the return for Varejao would be a mid to late 1st round pick that has in it's likelihood a Tyler Zeller level big man prospect ....It may actually be better for us, if we are anticipating hitting the ground running in 2014 trying to get a championship right out of the gate ...having Varejao onboard would not only make coming back to CLE all the more intrigueing and us more able to contend right away in Lebron's eyes ...but he would be a great chemistry fit for us as a team to be perfectly honest.

If you presume we lock down our young center of the future in this coming draft, then it would be a perfect role for Varejao, late in his career, to go back to the role that suits his style of play, and our needs perfectly at that point, as a super-sub big man off the bench. Say we also get our starting SG either via trade, draft, or free agency ...we could presumably have a rotation of Len, Thompson, James, SG, Irving .... and our bench rotation of Varejao, Waiters, Gee.

Then possibly use Zeller, our plethora of extra picks to go along with our own ...and our advantage of cap space etc ...to parlay those to find a top notch starting SG ... NOW,... ! That my friends is a young quality rotation that could be a championship level favorite for many years in succession ... dream away.... I am.

You make sense, but this line of thinking walks a dangerous line...

I'm all for maintaining cap flexibility into 2014. That's not a LeBron-or-bust mentality, as cap flexibility can benefit the team in many more ways than just signing LeBron. Holding on to an aging asset with the hopes of LeBron coming back in 2014 and our immediate contention is a totally different story. However, if Varejao would only net us a late 1st, I guess I'm for keeping him...but not in the hope of a LeBron signing. I'd keep him because of his tremendous veteran leadership and work ethic. Having that stability in a young locker room is worth more than a late 1st.

I know you're just brainstorming though, W&G...IF we could be certain that LeBron was coming back in 2014, Varejao would be an absolutely invaluable piece to that team. I just don't trust that scumbag enough to ever let him dictate anything in the Cavaliers organization or rebuild strategy.

Luke Walton for Richard Jefferson + Right to swap Heat pick with Golden State's own 2013 1st round pick (protected 7-30) + 2015 1st round pick unprotected.

So we'd only get to flip picks with GS if their pick landed 1-6 in this draft, right? They're currently running 10.5 games ahead of the 6th slotted team (Orlando). Though I guess they could be a team to fall out of the playoff race and end up in the 12-14th slots, which would offer the chance of some lottery magic.

Not sure what to make out of their 2015 #1. They have about $35.3 million tied up in Lee, Curry, Barnes, Thompson, Ezeli, and Green .. so they'd have some cap room to bring someone in before the 2014-15 season, even if they brought Bogut back .. which could help put their 2015 #1 in the 20's.

Seems like kind of a risky deal for the Cavs. The Warriors would seem to make out pretty well in that they'd be getting out of the Luxury Tax for the next couple of years, giving them a good amount of flexibility.

So we'd only get to flip picks with GS if their pick landed 1-6 in this draft, right? They're currently running 10.5 games ahead of the 6th slotted team (Orlando). Though I guess they could be a team to fall out of the playoff race and end up in the 12-14th slots, which would offer the chance of some lottery magic.

Not sure what to make out of their 2015 #1. They have about $35.3 million tied up in Lee, Curry, Barnes, Thompson, Ezeli, and Green .. so they'd have some cap room to bring someone in before the 2014-15 season, even if they brought Bogut back .. which could help put their 2015 #1 in the 20's.

Seems like kind of a risky deal for the Cavs. The Warriors would seem to make out pretty well in that they'd be getting out of the Luxury Tax for the next couple of years, giving them a good amount of flexibility.

It's a Baron Davis type deal which is the only deal I see the Cavs making at the deadline.

Per Windhorst's tweet today (the Heat are playing the Warriors tonight), Steph Curry apparently re-aggravated his ankle injury during their shootaround today. Nothing is ever certain with the Warriors. It's also my understanding they will have a difficult time resigning Jack or Landry this offseason since they are over the lux tax. I can definitely see them trading a draft pick to move Jefferson at the deadline or this summer.

It's a Baron Davis type deal which is the only deal I see the Cavs making at the deadline.

Yeah, probably so. Maybe the Cavs could find a 3rd team to take a little salary off of and get another pick while sending that small salary to GSW while keeping the W's out of the luxury tax this year?

Maybe something like sending Walton to the Bobcats for Diop (who makes about $1 million more than Walton) and something else, then sending Diop to the W's for what you outlined.

Or if the Bulls were willing to dump Hamilton and a pick, then send Walton and Hamilton to the W's for what you mentioned (and another salary if it helped keep GSW out of the Tax).

Dunno, something like that could help it look a little better for the Cavs

The Kings are looking to sell, and they have a number of bad contracts.

What about Chuck Hayes or Francisco Garcia with a sweeteners like the Kings removal of some protection on 2013 (or maybe the 2014 pick instead).

I would much rather get the Warriors 2014 1st in Ben's proposed deal than any of the other picks. It's sounds like the 2014 draft will be one of the best.

The Kings are looking to sell, and they have a number of bad contracts.

What about Chuck Hayes or Francisco Garcia with a sweeteners like the Kings removal of some protection on 2013 (or maybe the 2014 pick instead).

I would much rather get the Warriors 2014 1st in Ben's proposed deal than any of the other picks. It's sounds like the 2014 draft will be one of the best.

Considering deals like these, along with the seemingly popular belief that the 2014 draft will be better (maybe much better) than 2013, I've been wondering whether teams ever trade picks with varying levels of protection over the years, rather than strictly diminishing or static protection.

Specifically, I wonder if we could make a trade like these, let's just use the Kings one, in which the pick would be maybe top 3 protected for 2013, the INCREASE to top 10 protected for 2014, then become maybe unprotected for 2015, or something along those lines. I don't see why that wouldn't be doable, theoretically, and it seems to me that it might make trading a pick to shed salary more palatable for some of the perennial losers like the Kings or Bobcats or whoever.

This Cavs-Nuggets trade makes sense for both teams. The Nuggets get CJ Miles, Daniel Gibson, and Jon Leuer. The Cavs get Wilson Chandler, Jordan Hamilton, and Timofey Mozgov.

The Nuggets do this because they have no three point shooting whatsoever. Say what you want about the players the Cavs are giving up, but they all can provide spacing. I understand that Leuer is not a three point shooter, but he showed last year in Milwaukee that he is a big who can provide space. He has been terrible for the Cavs, but I think some of that is on sporadic playing time and that he could return to his rookie levels in the right situation. Besides, the Nuggets play Gallo some at the four, so Leuer would at most take up Mozgov's minutes. I would be willing to switch out Casspi (also a good three point shooter) for one of these players and throw in a second round pick. They also free up cap space as non of the Cavs' players have guaranteed contracts next year.

The Cavs get a solid backup big in Mozgov who can help them defensively. He can probably be resigned at a reasonable cost. Chandler is similar to Gee in that he is a solid defender who is slightly below average from three, but he has more scoring upside. Hamilton has shown good scoring ability in limited opportunities. This gives the Cavs three players with playoff experience who fit into their ideal age range and keep them from being forced into the free agent market to meet the cap floor. It also gives them enough depth at their big and wing positions that they can be a bit more picky come draft time and pick the best player, not the biggest need.

Ben's trade idea with the Warriors makes the most sense. I searched around for possible similar deals where the Cavs take back a big contract that expires in 2014 along with a #1 and the Warriors are the team that matches up the best.
I'd be willing to take back either Jefferson or Biedrins. I'd also be willing to accept a future lottery protected pick.
I'm not sure but I thought the Warriors pick goes to Utah this year from a past trade.

Ben's trade idea with the Warriors makes the most sense. I searched around for possible similar deals where the Cavs take back a big contract that expires in 2014 along with a #1 and the Warriors are the team that matches up the best.
I'd be willing to take back either Jefferson or Biedrins. I'd also be willing to accept a future lottery protected pick.
I'm not sure but I thought the Warriors pick goes to Utah this year from a past trade.

Correct. It is top 6 protected, which is why Ben showed we would get THIS years pick if it somehow fell into that top 6.

With the Bobcats rumored to want Rudy Gay but wanting to keep salary cap flexibility to sign another max player and Memphis wanting a young player + salary relief here's my 2nd fantasy trade.

Bobcats get Rudy Gay // Grizzlies get MKG, Walton and Gibson + Pistons 1st round pick // Cavs get Ben Gordon, Tony Wroten + Right to swap 2013 heat pick with Bobcats Protected 13-30 this year if swap not executed Cavs would get Portland's 2013 pick protected top 12.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."