• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Derrick Williams - worth a 1st rounder?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mott the Hoople

NBA Starter
Reaction score
There's no question Derrick Williams will be traded by the deadline. He has been a big disappointment for the 2nd pick in the draft.

He is a classic "tweener" that actually has shown promise as a backup C. The Wolves want him gone. They prefer a big man in return. But you can't always get what you want.

The question is this: The Cavs have to be a playoff contender next season. Forget the tank. If the Cavs don't make the playoffs next season - they will then officially become what the Clippers used to be.

To improve that much next season the roster must be greatly enhanced. They need a great lottery pick, a strong FA pickup, and a healthy Andy.

The 2nd 1st round pick will most likely be the late Heat pick. No valuable players will be found that low. But a trade at the deadline offers the "hope" of the Lakers pick.

Even with Williams limited talents, he would be a far greater acquisition for the Cavs than anybody picked that low.

Better question... How happy are all of us that we didn't draft a guy who a year and a half later pops up on message boards of other teams asking "Is he worth a first rounder?" :chuckles:

But my answer is maybe a late first rounder, like a Miami pick or even the Sac pick.

Def not our own.

Why can't Derrick just go away

Yes for the second 1st rd pick. But Minn would never do that

I don't see the point of making a move for this guy. We have a young PF who has shown a lot of growth over the last few weeks. Do we think Williams has the ability to play the 3 at this level? I don't think he has the ability to defend NBA 3s, this is the main reason I wanted nothing to do with him on draft day (that and my crush on Kyrie).

While I agree that things should and probably will start looking better next season, I certainly disagree with your assertion that we'll be the next Clippers if we suck again. The Clippers were what they were because of blown picks, horrible management, and bad coaching over several seasons.

The Cavs lost the best player in basketball to FA and had nobody on the team to build around. We had to endure one horrible season with no bright spots before we even got Kyrie. We lucked into what looks to be one of the best PGs in basketball, but him and Tristan were all we had again.

People have to realize that this is really year 2 of the rebuild. While we've had to endure 3 losing seasons, that first one doesn't count because we weren't building anything. We were in flux waiting for the draft and an opportunity to actually add some talent to the roster.

In the end I don't think it matters because I doubt we're going to be a bottom of the barrel team next year unless we have injuries. Kyrie will be Kyrie, Tristan will continue to grow (he's looked like a future stud as of late), and hopefully Dion continues to get acclimated and gains a measure of consistency. Throw in Noel/Len/Shabazz/McLemore and anyone we trade for or sign, and this team will be competitive. I don't know if they'll be a playoff team, but they'll watchable.

Anyway back to the main point. I don't think this team is in a situation where they have to blindly try to acquire talent. They need to look at skill sets and fit as well. Williams is a pretty talented player, but he doesn't fit this team unless he can learn to play the 3.

Last edited:
Alex Shved just rolled his ankle "2-4 weeks style". It's just not Minnesota's year obviously.

Yeah, I'd do the Sac pick and maybe cap filler for the guy. Why? Cuz that Sac pick might as well not exist with the protection and stipulations on it. It's an imaginary asset right now, and possibly permanently.

Plus, I could see him being one of those guys who finally figures it out a few years down the road and becomes a contributor during a playoff run. Way too early to give up on him considering the situation he's in.

There's no question Derrick Williams will be traded by the deadline. He has been a big disappointment for the 2nd pick in the draft.

He is a classic "tweener" that actually has shown promise as a backup C. The Wolves want him gone. They prefer a big man in return. But you can't always get what you want.

The question is this: The Cavs have to be a playoff contender next season. Forget the tank. If the Cavs don't make the playoffs next season - they will then officially become what the Clippers used to be.

To improve that much next season the roster must be greatly enhanced. They need a great lottery pick, a strong FA pickup, and a healthy Andy.

The 2nd 1st round pick will most likely be the late Heat pick. No valuable players will be found that low. But a trade at the deadline offers the "hope" of the Lakers pick.

Even with Williams limited talents, he would be a far greater acquisition for the Cavs than anybody picked that low.

As a backup Center i read? wtf?

I'd take a shot at him for super cheap.

Like for the team washing machine cheap.

After coming in for Shved he did the following:
  • turned the ball over trying to drive
  • got blocked trying to dunk the next possession
  • got an offensive foul after elbowing Griffin in the face trying to go back up after being blocked

It reminded me of Tristan last season and the beginning of this season. I don't think I'm ready for that again

[video=youtube;FONN-0uoTHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/video]

Why are people so enamored with this guy? I still don't get it......

The sad thing is that the most likely deal for Derrick Williams right now would be a multi-player deal for JJ Reddick.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."