• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Derrick Williams - worth a 1st rounder?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Wouldn't mind him off the bench behind Thompson. A Michael Beasley type deal would be nice

Is he even worth a round of drinks at this stage?

I think everyone is forgetting what Mr Williams having been picked 2nd in an NBA draft entails. That little tidbit about being paid like he was the second best player in that draft. He might well not be worth the risk just because he is going to be paid too much for a player that hasn't really shown much. That late first round pick for him might not be such a slam dunk as some of you suggest. His salary for the next 3 years is 5,016,960, 6,331,404, and 8,262,482. Perhaps, that is also one of the reasons for Minnesota shopping him.

So, when you are talking about getting Derrick cheap, that just might not be possible. :chuckles:

I think everyone is forgetting what Mr Williams having been picked 2nd in an NBA draft entails. That little tidbit about being paid like he was the second best player in that draft. He might well not be worth the risk just because he is going to be paid too much for a player that hasn't really shown much. That late first round pick for him might not be such a slam dunk as some of you suggest. His salary for the next 3 years is 5,016,960, 6,331,404, and 8,262,482. Perhaps, that is also one of the reasons for Minnesota shopping him.

So, when you are talking about getting Derrick cheap, that just might not be possible. :chuckles:

Boobie for Derrick Williams and a 1st.

Boobie for Derrick Williams and a 1st.

And when he you say Boobie, you mean Grant takes Kahn out to the strip clubs, I would imagine we would even have to pick up the bar tab and not just the cover charge and lap dances.

With Tristan really coming on, even before maybe, I just don't see the need. I'm not sure what Williams position really is and were looking at a couple more young guys this next draft. If anything we will need to start looking for young guys who have been in a league a handful of years with potential and capable veterans to fill in the gaps (which seem to be many right now).

"I definitely believe the Cavs should draft me at #1. I could be the LeBron they need" -Derrick Williams

I'd rather take a shot at Tony Mitchell, Dario Saric or James Michael McAdoo (three guys considered "tweeners") with a later 1st round pick than take Derrick Williams.

Jawad Williams was able to find a temporary home here, so anything is possible.

The Cavs backup PF is Luke Walton. Luke Walton. If all this took was a late first round pick then I'd make the move.

They'd definitely want more white players for him, so Casspi and Leuer/Harangody can get it done. You'd only have to pay D-Will $5 million next year and then you could let him walk if you wanted. The Cavs only have $28 million tied up in cap space for next season so they can afford to take him back. But really, I don't see anything worth giving up for him besides a few of our white players. I definitely would not give up the 2nd 1st round pick for him, since it could still be used as an asset similar to how they moved up to get Zeller this past draft.

Loving the white player hate around here lately. Outside of PG's, they're the worst.

:chuckles:

I'd take a gamble on him if we had an out option to oust him and his huge salary.

I look at him as a more talented Jordan Hill that just hasn't pieced it together yet. More explosive, better moves, can somewhat shoot it. Add in a little Antawn Jamison, Derrick just hasn't found his place yet, and Minnesota's quite a fucked up franchise all around.

He's in a thick Tristan Thompson like funk right now and he hasn't been able to bust out yet. There's still talent inside, he's just still taking his lumps and finding his niche.

His tweener status is still no good, but for a bench player he's a solid talent to have.

The price is the biggest concern. If you compromise flexibly going forward, No Go, no good, nope don't want em.

If you could get the #2 pick from last year for a hypothetical late round 1st you make that deal. Is his salary structure a major concern?

I know Kyrie would sign off on that move.

I'd throw em a pick in the 20's or later for him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."