• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Marreese Speights Has a Player Option

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Re: Cavs Trade w/ Memphis (Speights, Selby, Ellington, and #1 pick for Leuer)

Speights is legit. I've liked him since I first saw him play for Philadelphia. Strong, athletic, and has a decent jumper. I wonder if he will start at Center over Zeller.

All we really need to fill now is that starting SF spot and this roster will be pretty complete.

Unless Speights produces at a much higher level than he ever has, he is not a long-term starter. He might not even be a short-term starter, to be honest. He needs to show me something before I pencil him in ahead of Zeller.

What happened in Memphis that caused Speights to get inconsistent minutes? People in Memphis were high on him earlier in the season and now it looks like he hasn't really carved out a defined role. Inconsistent minutes for a guy like this can be a career killer. I haven't followed Memphis much in the last few months.

Re: Welcome Marreese Speights

We got Speights, Smooth..... Now all we need is Ibaka !!!! :chuckles:

I just hope that the light goes off for this guy third team... much like what we see from JJ now.

What happened in Memphis that caused Speights to get inconsistent minutes? People in Memphis were high on him earlier in the season and now it looks like he hasn't really carved out a defined role. Inconsistent minutes for a guy like this can be a career killer. I haven't followed Memphis much in the last few months.

He is stuck behind Z-bo and Gasol for minutes. Arthur pushes him for minutes too. I am hoping Z can work with him and to teach him shot selection. He will never be a good defender, just hope less bad. He will never be a starter for a good team, but he can be instant offense big off the bench. He isnt DIon bad at selection, but he is pretty bad on top of which he isnt nearly as talented as Dion.

Per 36 minute numbers for Speights: 16.3 points, 11.8 rebounds, PER of 16.2
Per 36 minute numbers for Leuer: 8.7 points, 5.1 rebounds, PER of 3.5

For taking on a bit more salary, we got a clear talent upgrade and a first round pick

He was actually a guy I hoped we would get from a team looking to luxury tax dump a player or two. Hopefully he can contribute.

He can catch the ball better, shoot from mid range better, and can dunk one handed better than JJ. He also seems much stronger and tougher than JJ. The headaches will be very similar though.

Excited to see him produce in bigger minutes.

I think the big reason why Speights was chosen to be the sacrifical salary in Memphis is that he had atrocious +/- on that team.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12MEM11.HTM#onoff

<center>[SIZE=-1]Stat[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]ON Court[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]OFF Court[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]Net[/SIZE]</center>
<center>[SIZE=-1]Minutes[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]518[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]1224[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]29%[/SIZE]</center>
<center>[SIZE=-1]Offense: Pts per 100 Poss.[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]101.8[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]106.9[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]-5.0[/SIZE]</center>
<center>[SIZE=-1]Defense: Pts per 100 Poss.[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]104.0[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]99.9[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]+4.1[/SIZE]</center>
<center>[SIZE=-1]Net Points per 100 Possessions[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]-2.2[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]+7.0[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]-9.2[/SIZE]</center>
<center>[SIZE=-1]Points Scored[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]978[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]2406[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]-1428[/SIZE]</center>
<center>[SIZE=-1]Points Allowed[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]1021[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]2219[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]-1198[/SIZE]</center>
<center>[SIZE=-1]Net Points[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]-43[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]+187[/SIZE]</center><center>[SIZE=-1]-230[/SIZE]</center>

<tbody>
</tbody>

I can almost see Hollinger handing the spreadsheet the GM and telling him that a 1/2 the min salary guys out there would add more to the team.

Last edited:

Speights is exactly the type of player the Cavs should be going after.

High talent, little risk. If we get lightening in a bottle, we've got a very talented big man. If not, no harm, he's gone in 2014 anyway.

I dont have high expectations of Mo Speights, but he will be more productive for us than Leuer.. He is a big body moose in the paint, even if he has a limited IQ. I think it is not reasonable to expect TZ to play this many minutes as a rookie. It has been good for him, as parts of his game have improved significantly since Andy went down. ( shot blocking and passing) . But Zeller is getting thrown around inside and I think mo can be the guy you cant throw around.

I like Ellington. He has a little CJ in him, having great nights followed by crappy nights. But he can shoot the lights out and I think he is a decent defender. Selby I know nothing about. But in any case, we could flush every one of these guys and the trade would still be Jon Leuer for a future 1st. That alone would ive Grant the right to a cigar. But the haul he has with this one puts it in the great trade catagory.

I think people may under estimate the role MS is going to play the rest of the season

I think Zeller ends up coming off the bench after about a week

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/grizzl...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANuYmEEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Cleveland coach Byron Scott thinks the trade will benefit Cleveland in several ways.

''The biggest thing out of the whole deal is getting Mo (Speights) in there and getting that first round pick as well,'' Scott said. ''Very valuable assets. It was a good day for us.''

The 6-foot-10 Speights will help ease the loss of Varejao, who was leading the NBA in rebounding. Speights averaged 6.6 points and 4.7 rebounds as one of the Grizzlies' top reserves but had been averaging only 14.5 minutes this season coming off the bench in Memphis. His contract expires after next season.

''We needed another big with Andy being lost for the season,'' Scott said. ''Maurice is a guy who has been in the league for a while. He's definitely proven he can play. He's a good mid-range shooter, is a tough kid and rebounds the ball. Wayne Ellington can stretch the floor. He's gotten better each year he's been in the league. Josh is a little bit of a combo (guard).''

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."