• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Hafner or Thome?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TheRealKTRAIN

Roll Tribe!
Reaction score
Should the Tribe take the old Hafner or Thome or should they just look away and use someone in our minor league system like Matt Laporta?

I'm okay with either, as long as the contracts are incentive-based.

For instance, an extra $1,000 for each HR over 400 ft.

The corpse of Babe Ruth. All options would be about the same level of production, but the Babe Ruth corpse would be far more entertaining.

I want Hafner. I don't care if it's unpopular and you all are sick of him. Because if a guy like Chris McGuiness or LaPorta or Ben Francisco ends up getting ABs there instead, it creates a hole in an otherwise average-looking lineup, and I will be angry. At least Hafner/Thome are still somewhat respected hitters in their declining years because of the power potential.

I would love to see Thome signed for sentimental reasons, but Hafner makes the more sense based on the shear numbers. Thome's production is clearly sliding, and his usage and production in Baltimore in the 2nd half is pretty indicative of how he would be used here.

The issue I have with Hafner is that each of the last few seasons, he starts out well but then the production- specifically the power- evaporates. I just see the same thing happening, he would start out hot in April then burn out/whatever come May, yet he would still get run out there because of his potential. Im just sick of seeing it happen.

This much I know, though- both offer more than Carlos Lee.

Can not believe no one has brought up Manny Rameriz up yet! Hmmmmm

Hafner. I am unreasonably unwilling to give up on him. If he stays healthy for even 100 games with normal production, it's worth it.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."