• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Draft Battle: Chris Grant & Danny Ferry .vs. Conventional Board Wisdom

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Re: Draft Battle: Chris Grant & Danny Ferry .vs. Conventional Board Wisdon

Edit no more drinking and posting

Last edited:

We would have one of the worst records in the league.

We currently don't have one of the worst records in the league? :chuckles:

I jest as I've been a Waiters fan

It's a hell of a lot easier picking in the top 5 than drafting 19 and after. You better draft well with your high picks. Also one GM was in win now mode while the other is in rebuild and wins don't matter mode.

There were also a lot of members here who advocated Drummond at #4 before the draft.

Which makes this thread completely pointless.

It's a hell of a lot easier picking in the top 5 than drafting 19 and after. You better draft well with your high picks. Also one GM was in win now mode while the other is in rebuild and wins don't matter mode.

There were also a lot of members here who advocated Drummond at #4 before the draft.

I personally still am advocating for Drummond now even after the draft.

Did we not draft TT?

Are you really going to list Drummond as the only other guy we thought about taking in that draft?

Thanks, I added TT, and yes, there were plenty of other players talked about on the board, but my focus was on the names I was expecting to be called at the time our number came up in each of those drafts.

I'm trying to avoid hindsightitis by focusing on my own thoughts/assumptions.

We traded up to grab Zeller, so why's he even on the list? Sites didn't know we'd trade up. Also we should have taken Blair.

Which is why I listed guys we could have taken with the picks we had. I had no preconceptions about who we'd take if we traded up.

That's the thing. I never felt the Cavs should have drafted differently. We needed a young talent with huge upside to put around James like a Josh Smith, not a guy like Luke Jackson who was already close to as good as he was going to get, and up until we finally snagged Kyrie I've felt we needed to draft a PG - so I had a lot of interest in guys like Rondo, Nelson, Chalmers, even Mardy Collins.

(And yes, the Jackson pick was on Paxson, not on Ferry. My bad there.)

I just think it's ironic that the OSU guy many of us would have snagged once he started falling in the draft primarily because he was tall and played in Columbus (Koufos) is actually turning out pretty well. Maybe GMs would be better off throwing darts at a board.

Last edited:

I'm trying to avoid hindsightitis by focusing on my own thoughts/assumptions.

This thread is to hindsightitis what lubricants are to masturbation.

This thread is to hindsightitis ...

Don't you remember the guys you wanted in all those drafts while watching the draft playout and scratching the names off your mock draft sheet? Surely you had one, right? I do, and I listed them.

Don't you remember the guys you wanted in all those drafts while watching the draft playout and scratching the names off your mock draft sheet? Surely you had one, right? I do, and I listed them.

I wanted either MKG (if he was on the board) or Waiters this year, so I wasn't disappointed. The main guy I didn't want (unless we traded up for the Golden State pick as rumored) was Barnes.

Last year, I wanted Kyrie Irving and didn't really care who we picked after that. I was a bit surprised by the Thompson pick, but I was really just happy that we passed on Williams to draft Kyrie.

That's the thing. I never felt the Cavs should have drafted differently. We needed a young talent with huge upside to put around James like a Josh Smith, not a guy like Luke Jackson who was already close to as good as he was going to get, and up until we finally snagged Kyrie I've felt we needed to draft a PG - so I had a lot of interest in guys like Rondo, Nelson, Chalmers, even Mardy Collins.

(And yes, the Jackson pick was on Paxson, not on Ferry. My bad there.)

I just think it's ironic that the OSU guy many of us would have snagged once he started falling in the draft primarily because he was tall and played in Columbus (Koufos) is actually turning out pretty well. Maybe GMs would be better off throwing darts at a board.

The way we do things: the dart board would only have faces belonging to players listed high on Hollinger metrics

Jon was doomed from the time he started a thread. There's a dozen or more posters that just lie in wait for one of Jon's posts to have a mistake in it somewhere.

The way we do things: the dart board would only have faces belonging to players listed high on Hollinger metrics

The metrics seem to have served us well so far. Thompson is starting to look like the best player from his draft class and Waiters' play has picked up considerably in the past month. He's still inconsistent as all hell, but he's a rookie so I'm not going to kill him for it.

Not many people remember why we took Eyenga in 2009. We took him because we didn't want to pay a first round pick that year and that would allow us to use more of our MLE (Ariza, Artest, CV).

Dion vs. Dion/Drummond

I'm pretty sure nobody with actual knowledge thought the Cavs would take Barnes. Between these two, if we were to redo the draft today, I think we may have chosen Drummond. However, Waiters appears to be a better choice than Barnes/TRob so it's not a bad pick. Drummond was just an enormous gamble because of how terrible he looked at UConn.

Zeller vs. A pile of picks

I think we came out on the right end of this, especially when you factor in the Memphis trade (which we couldn't have made if we already had a bunch of young mediocre guys trying to find playing time).

Kyrie .vs. Kyrie/Williams

We made the right choice.

TT vs. Jonas

I was upset at this pick, and a lot of other people had an instant reaction of not liking this pick. However, I think it's clear we came out on top and Grant made the right decision.

Christian Eyenga vs. a lot of question marks

I wanted Danny Green at 30. Other options were Summers/Young/Blair/Budinger. We took a gamble on an overseas player we didn't have to pay that year, and still got our man at 46. It's not like picking up Blair or Budinger with #30 would have helped us that season anyways.

Hickson vs. Arthur/Jordan/Koufos

Jon, I don't think Koufos was a desired player by many on this board. I'm pretty sure draft night, the majority wanted Darrell Arthur, DeAndre Jordan, or Mareese Speights. Once Speights was off the board, the popular opinion was Arthur.

Still, Hickson had more talent than we all knew. He just didn't get his head around the game. Sure we could have taken Jordan, but he was a raw, unpolished gamble of a big at the time.

Overall, that's a track record of very good drafting, especially when selecting players who weren't mocked to us by national writers.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."