• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Indie / Downloadable Game Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jack Brickman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Figured this would be a good thread since there are tons of great indie and downloadable games out there. So what are you guys playing?

The Cave
The Cave came out earlier this week and is the new game from Double Fine, the studio behind Brutal Legend, Psychonauts, and a few others. It's also the brainchild of Ron Gilbert, who worked on some of the great adventure titles of all time back at LucasArts, including the immortal Monkey Island. I preordered it and have played through it once already (it's not very long...about 3-4 hours). It's a lot of fun. It's a side-scrolling puzzle/platformer where you take three characters (out of seven total) through a strange cave (the game is narrated by the cave itself) and have them face their dark pasts.

The stories for the three characters I used were all pretty interesting. Each character has a unique area of the cave that is only accessible with that particular character in your group, so essentially you'll have to play through the game three times to see everything, although the third playthrough would only include one new area. My first playthrough was with the Knight, the Time Traveler, and the Adventurer. The Time Traveler had the best area, which required you to solve puzzles in three different periods of time (present, stone age, and the future) simultaneously. The game has a good dose of comedy, although unfortunately it's not quite as funny as some of Gilbert's previous works.

All in all, definitely worth playing. It's 15 bucks and will probably take 8-10 hours to finish completely. Not a bad value and the puzzles are tough at times without being nonsensical (anyone who has played old-school adventure games knows what I mean by this). I only got stuck two or three times, and never for more than five to ten minutes. The platforming is a bit stiff and you climb ladders and ropes way too slow, but overall the first playthrough was a lot of fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221810/

The game is also on the PS3, WiiU, and 360. I played it on the PC using a Windows controller.

Dont Starve. My friend bought it on Steam and gifted me a copy. It's different. It's basically a twisted version of Minecraft where monsters come out at night but instead of shelter you set up a campfire and hope it stays lit throughout the night. I havent played much of it to really give a full description but it is a fun game.

Dont Starve. My friend bought it on Steam and gifted me a copy. It's different. It's basically a twisted version of Minecraft where monsters come out at night but instead of shelter you set up a campfire and hope it stays lit throughout the night. I havent played much of it to really give a full description but it is a fun game.

Yeah I picked that one up as well. Played it for an hour and a half or so. What really sucks is the monsters start leveling up as the game goes on, which makes it harder to stay alive and more dangerous to wander around even during the day. I'm on day nine or ten. I found a big field with a bunch of beefalos on it and set up some crops there and planted some trees. I made that my main base that I try to return to every night if possible. The beefalo dung lets you fertilize your crops and you need it just to make the farms to begin with.

Just don't let your fire go out at night!

The good thing is that I think your research from your science machine carries over from game to game. I haven't died yet but that will be nice. I'm trying to research as much as possible. I'm just curious if the game actually ends at some point or if you just always die eventually. I haven't really read much about the game online (aside from watching a video on IGN that led me to buy it), so I'm not sure.

I would love to add to the Indie/Downloadable game thread. I have three games here anyone must play even If I mentioned the game before. Also for PS3 owners I will name my favorite and or recommended game. This all said I shall now Inform the WORLD... or the people In this thread what Is up. So here we go...

Best new PSN.
1. Jetpack Joyride, Why you ask? It Is free and addicting and and.... well AMAZING! Okay really It Is a addictive game where you mix SMB with Sonic with... A Jetpack! You can buy coin packs or just grind your way through the game for coins. A slot machine, Gravity suit, Motorcycle, Robo Dragon and A ton of options get you In the mood? Well It should.
2. Toejam and Earl, Need I say more about this classic?

Best Indie game ever made? (For PC, and PSN)
1. Journey... (from the makers of... (Flow)(Flower)&(cloud"their first game made") They are a special team.
2. Super Meat Boy... You have to include this classic.
3. Bastion... This game Wins In my mind as It was the first game I finished as I felt such a need to do so.
4. Top Darts PS3... Just one of those games that no one cares about yet then when you play It... You understand this Is a game and not a gimmick of the great game of darts.
5. Vidiot Game... Everyone who Is anyone should play this free game and ask yourself... Is this a great game or am I a screwed up person?

So the top two games are...

The PSN hit Journey, There should be no reason why this game should not be as It mixes everything you love about a game with out the violence.
The Free PC hit Vidiot Game. This Is A game you must play In order to understand a possible new type of game for the future gamers.

Underrated Hit, The PSN move game Top Darts.

So that Is my round up of IG/DG As of late. While not Indie lets not forget about the dark horse Downloadable games, The ones we might forget but should not are?... Megaman 9 and 10, If you are old school you must buy these gems as I did again on my PSN.

Happy Gaming fellow players!

Man, they updated Don't Starve and now I have to relearn how to play. :(

Apparently the next update will introduce sanity and the one after that will introduce winter. I feel like this game hates me and very much wants me to die.

Gunpoint - Bought this game on a whim the other night (I think it's currently 8.99 on Steam) and it was worth every penny. Played it for about an hour and a half last night and can't wait to keep playing.

Essentially, you play a freelance hacker/espionage expert who is framed for murder at the beginning of the game. You then go on to do missions for various different people (starting by erasing the footage that frames you) and uncover some sort of vast police conspiracy (I assume...I'm not all that far in yet). The game is a 2D sidescroller. You've got various abilities, including jumping very high and far (which you can upgrade as the game goes on) and being able to hang on to walls and ceilings.

The game also gives you a hacking device that lets you rewire circuits inside of buildings. It's a pretty cool gimmick that allows you to manipulate guard behavior, lock them in rooms, set traps for them, and more. Some buildings have various closed circuits, which complicate matters since you have to find the circuit board for each closed circuit and hack it before you can manipulate objects on that particular grid. The game is essentially a puzzler in nature, and I had a ton of fun trying to crack the levels that I played last night (which, naturally, get progressively more difficult).

The writing in the game is great as well. It's very tongue-in-cheek, and a lot of the replies you can give to your clients are pretty funny.

All in all, buy this game.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."