• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Here's a fun question to be discussed about 2014. I'd love YOUR take

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

moohead

Sixth Man
Reaction score
How far away are we if we imagine one change in 2014? This is NOT a LeBron returning thread, but rather a look at the surrounding cast vs our 66 win season. I am assuming AV will be gone, and we will receive a 1st round pick that will be of reserve caliber in this years draft. That player will have a full year under his belt by 2014-2015, and Dion, Tristan, Tyler and Ky will have an extra year. Byron will be expired by then. We will also have a first round and a few 2nd round picks in 2014, I believe. What do you think?

2008-2009 Cavs: 66-16

LeBron
Mo Williams
Delonte West
Anderson Varejao
Big Z

Key reserves:

Gibson
Szczerbiak
Ben Wallace
Hickson
Joe Smith

2014-2015 ????

Kyrie
Miles
LeBron (free agent)
Tristan
Zeller

Reserves:

Dion Waiters
Speights
Gee
2013 1st round pick
Ellington

Re: Here's a fun question to be discussed. I'd love YOUR take

I think if Miles is still on this team in 2014/15 I will quit watching the Cavs.

Our 2014-2015 team is going to look a hell of a lot better than that. Miles & Zeller damn well better not be starting.

No way CJ Miles is there, he probably won't be picked up for next year unless he does a 180 team play wise. No way Zeller is the starter either even if he's finally bulked up by that time.

I like the look of

PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Dion Waiters
SF: LeBron James
PF: Tristan Thompson
C: Nerlens Noel

--------------
Wayne Ellington
Alonzo Gee
CJ McCollum
Josh Selby
Tyler Zeller
Marresse Speights
Patric Young
2014 Picks

i still think that at some point (might even be this offseason) they will trade some of their assets for an all-star caliber player. i have my eyes on Kevin Love, he seems unhappy and if Minnesota decides to make him available few teams could offer as much as the Cavs (Andy, TT, top 10 pick, Memphis' pick etc...)

in other words a lot of the players you mentioned Moo won't be on the team in 2 years imo... (Speights, Ellington, CJ, Zeller/TT just to name a few...)

Like others have said Zeller is n starting and CJ miles is probably jacking up shots for whoever is tanking for Okfar in 2015 :chuckles:

Here is mine since we get to play with the crystal ball.
Irving
Oladipo
James
TT
Len

Bench
Waiters
Ellington
Andy
Zeller
Trey BURKE
2014 Draft Pick A
2014 Draft Pick b via trade
Veteran Big
Verteran Wing

You can't take today's roster and carry it forward 2.5 years and have a contender. The NBA isn't about collecting the most slightly above average role players on short term contracts. It's about getting 4-5 really good players locked up on long contracts, nailing a free agent signing or trade, and then finding a handful of affordable role players that round out the team. It's really hard to get the role players before you know who the core is going to be.

First and foremost, the Cavs are going to try really hard to stay far enough under cap to be able to sign a 10 year vet free agent in 2014. Unless the Cavs trade Varejao for expiring contracts or waive Gee, they won't have enough cap room to sign a 10 year max free agent, sign their draft picks, and keep Miles, Ellington & Speights at their current pay rates. And I have a strong feeling that those guys are not content with their current salaries. Somethings going to happen there and I don't think it is waive Gee or trade Varejao for expiring contracts.

So let's see. Varejao? The Cavs will want a player and a pick for him. I don't think you can just erase him from the balance sheet. They'll be a contract coming back if he's traded. If they can find a good trade for him. They are not going to bundle picks with Varejao to get his contract off the books.

Speights? Think Sessions 2.0. I don't see any scenario where he is here next year. Most likely, he's most likely gone in February. If he's here in June for some reason, there are two things that can happen. He could opt out, and that's hasta la vista. The Cavs are not going to pay to keep him. If he opts in, he gets traded. He's not here next October either. He wants a payday and the Cavs can't afford to give him one even if they thought he deserved it.

Miles? He's the 2013 version of Tractor Traylor, only less likable. Traded if they can, but most likely waived. His contract isn't guaranteed. The Cavs want to win next year. They need someone who encourages Waiters to take good shots, not someone who challenges him to a game of HORSE. No way he's here in 2015.

Ellington? Maybe Gee 2.0. Might be here if he agrees to a really affordable, not fully guaranteed year deal to replace Miles. The trouble is that he's not a restricted free agent this summer (Memphis declined his option). Would Gee be here if he wasn't restricted last summer? Odds are that the Cavs draft that position or find someone else who meets their financial constraints.

And let's not stop there. Look at the recent draft picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of Thompson, Waiters, or Zeller traded in the next two years. If the Cavs think that one of these guys isn't going to be part of the future, trades will happen before the assets lose all value.

So let's look at this again next year in the spring of 2014. The team's going to be very different by then. And even, that's only going to be a fraction of the roster changes that we'll see before October 2014. Exciting stuff on the horizon.

This IS fun!

tumblr_m8il7pZWVx1ruji2v.gif

You people are treading dangerous waters with all this LBJ talk. You're subconsciously falling into the trap of expecting him to come back. It's only gonna hurt again.

I like the look of

PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Dion Waiters
SF: LeBron James
PF: Tristan Thompson
C: Nerlens Noel

--------------

This is a team about equal to the current Brooklyn Nets.

Pass.

tumblr_m8il7pZWVx1ruji2v.gif

You people are treading dangerous waters with all this LBJ talk. You're subconsciously falling into the trap of expecting him to come back. It's only gonna hurt again.

Optimism does not necessarily correlate with getting hurt. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be back; I'll be ecstatic if he does come back, and, if he doesn't come back, I'll be happy that we're still in great position for other free agents/trades.

The fact is that, even if we don't get LeBron, we're still sitting pretty. If LeBron or some bigtime free agent doesn't sign with us, then we'll pillage some team in a trade for a big-time player/assets. This makes me feel thankful for how well Grant has managed this team. Having enough cap space to sign a free agent in 2014 is only going to bring about good things.

To the OP...

just want to clear some things up.... are you saying that the 14-15 lineup you propose is better than the 08-09 roster, or are you asking for poster's predictions of what they think will happen? You don't mention who you think the 1st round picks will be for 2013 or 2014- which certainly is important, and you mention that Byron will be expiring... are you suggesting the Cavs will have a new HC?

This is a team about equal to the current Brooklyn Nets.

Pass.

Except for the fact that in 2014 Kyrie and Lebron will most likely be 2 of the top 5 players in the NBA. In my opinion the Nets don't even have a top 10 player.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."