• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2013 NFL Free Agency: Browns

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frank Stallone

You guessed it...
Reaction score
Figured we could get something started.

Saw this on ESPN iN.

Alex Smith's next team

Even before the 2012 regular season was over, it was clear which teams would be in the market for a QB for 2013 and beyond, and as the offseason got rolling with all the head-coaching moves, the chatter on the QB market has only intensified. One of the names that continues to pop up as an option for QB-needy teams is Alex Smith, currently employed by the San Francisco 49ers as their backup QB.

We say currently, because it's expected that the Niners will attempt to market him in trade once the new league year begins. However, if it were up to Smith, he'd rather find a destination of his own choosing. Per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the Utah product is seeking his release prior to the start of the next league year in March.

Smith will lose his current contract (with $8.5 million for 2013) if that winds up being the case; on the other hand, the new one he signs could be more lucrative given the number of teams looking to find another starting option for the upcoming season. The Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles have all been mentioned as speculative possibilities thus far. We've heard that the idea of his landing in Cleveland has something more to it than just idle speculation. Stay tuned.

Fuck no.

Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

Alex Smith is pretty good at the back shoulder throw, I'm surprised he's not a bigger fan.

Alex Smith was on freaking fire when he was playing earlier this year. Not his fault the offense around him failed.

Alex Smith is pretty good at the back shoulder throw, I'm surprised he's not a bigger fan.

:chuckles:

You have to be such a miserable human being to be around in person.

Anyways, Alex Smith? Please no.. He isn't elite, nor is he ever going to be. All you guys have been hounding is getting a franchise QB. That's NOT Alex Smith, and quite frankly Brandon Weeden has a better chance to be than him.

Alex Smith was on freaking fire when he was playing earlier this year. Not his fault the offense around him failed.

That's kind of how it should be when you have Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Frank Gore, Delaney Walker, and the best o-line in football...

I want us to go after Jarius Byrd, Dennis Pitta and some linebackers

It doesn't seem like Smith would be a target for the Browns. I know Norv Turner coached Alex Smith early on so there is a connection there. However; Smith's talents don't seem to translate into what the Browns are looking for in a QB. From what they say, they want a QB who is accurate, Smith has that down in short yardage situations, and someone who can push the ball down the field. That's not Alex Smith's game. The scouting report on him coming out of college was he basically was a great game manager who was accurate short but almost never threw deep. That's pretty much what he's been in the pro's. The last 2 years, he didn't put up big pass yds but he completed 70% of his passes, threw a fair amount of touchdowns and very little picks. He'll never be among the league leaders in passing yds and passing TDs. I think that's what Norv and Chud want to do. Throw the ball in big chunks and use all parts of the field. I'm not sure Alex Smith is the guy to do that. Here is SI's draft scouting report on Alex Smith from 2005.

BIO: Two year starter voted MWC Player of the Year last season after passing numbers of 67.5 percent/2,952/32/4. All-Conference selection as a sophomore after posting 65 percent/2,247/15/3.

POSITIVES: Efficient and reliable passer that's done well in his college system. Accurate in the short field, leads receivers over the middle and places throws where only his target can make the reception. Solid timing on crossing patterns. Patient in the pocket, effectively reads the defense and does not make poor decisions. Goes through receiver progressions, waits for pass catchers to come free and throws to the safe underneath target if nothing's available downfield. Sets up with solid fundamentals and passes with an over-the-top delivery. Keeps his feet active and easily gets outside the pocket, making the throw on the move. Displays outstanding wherewithal and knows where receivers are on the field. Throws tight spiral with good zip. Stands strong and poised in the pocket as it collapses around him.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his corner patters in the end zone as passes tend to be flat. Rarely threw the ball down field in the Utah system.

ANALYSIS: A natural leader that does an excellent job running the offense, Smith has been very productive the past two years. Stays away from mistakes and has a tremendous touchdown-to-interception ratio. Does not have a deep passing arm just yet but would be initially effective in a timing or West Coast offense as he grows into a pro passing game.

PROJECTION: Early First Round
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/63700.html

Shurmur and Heckert should have gone after him, not Chud and Norv.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like Smith would be a target for the Browns. I know Norv Turner coached Alex Smith early on so there is a connection there. However; Smith's talents don't seem to translate into what the Browns are looking for in a QB. From what they say, they want a QB who is accurate, Smith has that down in short yardage situations, and someone who can push the ball down the field. That's not Alex Smith's game. The scouting report on him coming out of college was he basically was a great game manager who was accurate short but almost never threw deep. That's pretty much what he's been in the pro's. The last 2 years, he didn't put up big pass yds but he completed 70% of his passes, threw a fair amount of touchdowns and very little picks. He'll never be among the league leaders in passing yds and passing TDs. I think that's what Norv and Chud want to do. Throw the ball in big chunks and use all parts of the field. I'm not sure Alex Smith is the guy to do that. Here is SI's draft scouting report on Alex Smith from 2005.

BIO: Two year starter voted MWC Player of the Year last season after passing numbers of 67.5 percent/2,952/32/4. All-Conference selection as a sophomore after posting 65 percent/2,247/15/3.

POSITIVES: Efficient and reliable passer that's done well in his college system. Accurate in the short field, leads receivers over the middle and places throws where only his target can make the reception. Solid timing on crossing patterns. Patient in the pocket, effectively reads the defense and does not make poor decisions. Goes through receiver progressions, waits for pass catchers to come free and throws to the safe underneath target if nothing's available downfield. Sets up with solid fundamentals and passes with an over-the-top delivery. Keeps his feet active and easily gets outside the pocket, making the throw on the move. Displays outstanding wherewithal and knows where receivers are on the field. Throws tight spiral with good zip. Stands strong and poised in the pocket as it collapses around him.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his corner patters in the end zone as passes tend to be flat. Rarely threw the ball down field in the Utah system.

ANALYSIS: A natural leader that does an excellent job running the offense, Smith has been very productive the past two years. Stays away from mistakes and has a tremendous touchdown-to-interception ratio. Does not have a deep passing arm just yet but would be initially effective in a timing or West Coast offense as he grows into a pro passing game.

PROJECTION: Early First Round
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/63700.html

Shurmur and Heckert should have gone after him, not Chud and Norv.

This is the same thing I told my friend who wants him. That and that Harbaugh and the Niner's offense made Smith what he was. Which was really nothing more than average in his best years.

I don't know about average at best.

His past two years he has been a top 15 QB, and if he would have been given the chance to come back this year, he was top ten. The only truly bad game he had was against the Giants, and that was a terrible game for the 49ers period.

He's a good QB who will cost nothing more than money. For a team starving for competent QB play, Alex Smtih is a perfect fit.

I don't know about average at best.

His past two years he has been a top 15 QB, and if he would have been given the chance to come back this year, he was top ten. The only truly bad game he had was against the Giants, and that was a terrible game for the 49ers period.

He's a good QB who will cost nothing more than money. For a team starving for competent QB play, Alex Smtih is a perfect fit.

Best O-Line in the league, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, Kendall Hunter, Delaney Walker, Randy Moss, Frank Gore, the list just goes on. His team made him, jesus christ they have playmakers. Alex Smith is not a blue-chip player.

What exactly did Alex Smith not do with that myriad of talent?

He lost 6 games, thrown for 30 TDs and 10 INTs over the past two years, without getting a full year this year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-12: "Max Strus Juice"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."