• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Ray Lewis possibly took banned substance while injured

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JMcCurry08

All-Star
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...bstance-to-recover-from-torn-triceps/related/

Ray Lewis may have used banned substance to recover from torn triceps

Posted by Mike Florio on January 29, 2013, 12:08 PM EST

The good news is that linebacker Ray Lewis may not be facing many questions about a 13-year-old controversy during media day. The bad news is that there’s a fresh topic into which the assembled reporters will want to delve when Lewis and the Ravens gather at the Superdome for the annual exercise in journalistic hysteria.

According to Sports Illustrated, Lewis contacted a company owned by a former male stripper to obtain a deer-antler velvet extract after tearing his triceps in October.

Mitch Ross of S.W.A.T.S reportedly videotaped the phone call from Lewis.

“Spray on my elbow every two hours?” Lewis asked Ross regarding the extract.

“No,” Ross said. “Under your tongue.”

Later, Lewis asked Ross to “just pile me up and just send me everything you got, because I got to get back on this this week.”

The problem for Lewis is that the extract contains IGF-1, which is on the NFL’s list of banned substances. For the NFL, the problem is that Lewis will retire after Sunday. So there’s really nothing that can be done — unless Lewis admits to it on Tuesday and the league puts the investigative process into the highest gear possible.

Even then, it’s impossible that the matter would progress through all available appeals before Sunday night.

Shocking!!!!

I mean, don't all players come back from a torn tricep in 3 weeks?

He wouldnt comment on it when asked during Media Day....shocking

Shocking- an football player on an illegal performance enhancer. What's next, Lance Armstrong admitting to doping?

As for what Ray-Ray was doing, this is what you get when your testing program is a dog and pony show. Who cares if you test positive (if you even get tested at all late in the season like that) when it won't impact the remainder of your last season? Doubt Ray was the first, or will be the last, in that kind of situation. And guarantee you, even if Ray tested positive, if he retires at the end of the year, the NFL suppresses that test result. And in Ray's defense, while the antler spray is illegal, at least he didn't just go straight for synthetic hGH and the usual juice, this SWAT offers more than the antler spray. Also, why is this new? I thought he was one of the vigilant deer antler spray users prior to its' banning? And why did SWAT release this? Are they just trying to cover their ass and not get labeled as a BALCO? I wonder what their motivation is- not that I disagree with it, but I am curious. They seem to want to do things 'by the book', or at least what isn't illegal yet, so why still hock the deer antler spray if that is their angle?

So he's a murderer, and a cheater...

Can we please stop gassing up this Ray Lewis is a nice guy bullshit now ESPN? K thanks.

Can we please stop gassing up this Ray Lewis is a nice guy bullshit now ESPN? K thanks.

Yeah freaking right. He's already signed a contract with ESPN for after his retirement. The parade has just begun.

The fact this isn't huge news over every single sports news website is mind blowing. The NFL at this point should pretty either suspend Lewis now, or just announce to the world they only care if non star athletes cheat. If there is actually an audio of him trying to get this, he should face an immediate suspension for 4 games

The fact this isn't huge news over every single sports news website is mind blowing. The NFL at this point should pretty either suspend Lewis now, or just announce to the world they only care if non star athletes cheat. If there is actually an audio of him trying to get this, he should face an immediate suspension for 4 games

There's no way possible for them to do that. The league has rules about due process. They could suspend him and he'd appeal...then play in the SB...then retire.

And how is it not huge news? It's all i've listened to all day long on any radio/tv channel.

So if we don't care about the murder (allegedly) what makes you think anyone cares about some deer extract?

Funny progression on Around the Horn. The Ray Lewis topic comes up... and no one on the panel knows what Deer Antler spray is or what it's effects are.

Let me rephrase this. Four paid journalists don't know anything.... literally anything... about a substance that is the center of a complex situation. News flash ESPN... there is the fucking internet, and google. How fucking hard was that?

For fucks sake, RCF broke the Deer Antler epidemic two years ago!

Blackistone then goes talk about Ray Ray not commenting: "I don't think we should allow someone to work at ESPN as a journalist who is not willing to comment on a story. He should not work at this fine establishment" ... or something to that bullshit effect. It's embarassing that Blackistone calls himself a journalist.

again, youre out of your mind if you dont think these guys who are so big and athletic that 'unnatural' is a word that frankly doesn't do them justice take p.e.d.'s

Off topic I guess, and understand that cheating is cheating, but why is it a banned substance? These guys are literally kill themselves playing the game every week. Why not let them taking Deer Antler spray or half this other stuff, which allows them to heal quicker.

I can see why they ban straight roids, but what's the problem with using something that allows them to heal from injury fast.

Whelp, color me shocked. Can't wait for ESPN to start touting Lewis as the greatest defensive player of all time.

Last edited:
Also, it's time to stop thinking about ESPN as a source for serious journalism/reporting. They aren't interested in finding truth, but making money through business relationships. Anything else is secondary.

There's no way possible for them to do that. The league has rules about due process. They could suspend him and he'd appeal...then play in the SB...then retire.

And how is it not huge news? It's all i've listened to all day long on any radio/tv channel.

Yes he could do this and the reporters can blackball him out of the hall of fame for roiding.

Won't happen.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."