• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Oden

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

drewvr91

Buster Cherry
Reaction score
Greg Oden, who last played in 2009, is hoping he can return to the floor in 2013-14 after numerous microfracture surgeries have limited the 2007 No. 1 pick to just 82 games. If Oden's knees are healthy, the plan is to sign with either the Cleveland Cavaliers or Miami Heat, according to a report from CBSSports.com on Tuesday.

"Right now, I'm not worrying about where," Oden said. "I'm only worried about my knee."

Both teams will have interest in Oden, if healthy, and The Miami Herald reports the center plans to meet with the Heat in the next two weeks.

"It will involve talking to [Heat president] Pat [Riley] and the medical staff to see where Greg is," said Oden's agent, Mike Conley.

"Greg can run, shoot, dunk, but we're not allowing him to do certain things," Conley added. "He's taking it slower than in the past. The biggest challenge is not doing too much too soon. In past rehabs, it was a little sore. Now he feels he can do anything. We're telling him not to [do too much]."

There is a chance one or both teams could sign Oden to a minimum deal late this season that would also include 2013-14, which might give him a small amount of salary protection.

The chance to acquire Oden would be a blessing. IMO getting Oden would be like getting Andrew Bynum without having to offer that 15plus mill a year contract

Re: Oden eyes Cavs, Heat

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x206919337/AP-source-Cavs-interested-in-Greg-Oden

CLEVELAND —

Greg Oden’s next comeback could be with the Cavaliers.

A person with knowledge of Cleveland’s interest said the team is exploring the possibility of signing Oden, the former No. 1 overall pick whose NBA career has been sabotaged by injuries.

The Cavs are doing their due diligence while looking at Oden, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the team’s interest is contingent upon the center’s health.

CBSSports.com first reported the Cavs and Miami Heat were leading the pursuit of Oden, who hasn’t played since 2009 and has undergone three microfracture knee surgeries — two on his left knee.

Before watching No. 11 Ohio State’s 58-49 win over Wisconsin on Tuesday night in Columbus, Ohio, Oden said he hopes to be healthy enough to take another shot at pro ball.

“I don’t know when, but I’m taking this year off. I’ll play next year,” said Oden, who led the Buckeyes to the Final Four as a freshman in 2007.

Oden’s agent, Mike Conley Sr., could not be reached for comment.

A defensive force during his one college season, the 7-foot Oden was the first player taken in the 2007 draft by Portland, who chose the soft-spoken big man over All-Star Kevin Durant. Oden was limited to just 82 games with the Trail Blazers, averaging 9.2 points and 7.3 rebounds. Oden has not played since 2009, and he had his last operation on Feb. 20 last year.

Portland waived Oden last March, ending a troubled five-year run with a player who entered the league with superstar potential.

Any team that signs the 25-year-old Oden would be taking a risk. But for a rebuilding team like the Cavs, who are looking to add pieces around All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, the possibility Oden could develop into a productive player is enticing.

Oden said he has no preference on which team he plays for.

“Right now I’m not worrying about where,” he said. “I’m only worried about my knee.”

Here's the ESPN take on the situation. If he comes back, he'd be the first guy to come back to the NBA after 3 micro-fracture surgeries. He's already the only basketball player I know to need micro-fracture surgery from an injury he received getting out of a chair in the off-season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/mia...aliers-top-suitors-greg-oden-according-report

The Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers have emerged as the top teams to sign 2007 No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden, according to a CBSSports.com report. CBSSports.com, citing a source, reports Oden hopes to meet with Heat officials within the next week.

The Cavaliers are doing their due diligence while evaluating Oden, said a person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team's interest is contingent upon the center's health.

Before watching No. 11 Ohio State's 58-49 win over Wisconsin on Tuesday night in Columbus, Ohio, Oden said he hopes to be healthy enough to take another shot at pro ball. "I don't know when, but I'm taking this year off. I'll play next year," said Oden, who led the Buckeyes to the Final Four as a freshman in 2007. Oden's agent, Mike Conley Sr., could not be reached for comment.

Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge confirmed on Jan. 17 the team was "monitoring" Oden, but said it hasn't made an attempt to sign the 7-footer. CBSSports.com reported the Celtics have expressed interest in Oden, but that the former Ohio State star prefers either Miami or Cleveland.

Oden was limited to just 82 games with the Trail Blazers, averaging 9.2 points and 7.3 rebounds. Oden has not played since 2009, and he had his last operation on Feb. 20 last year. Portland waived Oden last March, ending a troubled five-year run with a player who entered the league with superstar potential.

Any team that signs the 25-year-old Oden would be taking a risk. But for a rebuilding team like the Cavs, who are looking to add pieces around All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, the possibility Oden could develop into a productive player is enticing.

Oden said he has no preference on which team he plays for. "Right now, I'm not worrying about where," he said. "I'm only worried about my knee."

Last edited:

He's already the only basketball player I know to need micro-fracture surgery from an injury he received getting out of a chair in the off-season.

:chuckles: That's great. If CLE, keep him away from The Corner Alley.

When every NBA team has a bench with dead space and the Cavs are not up against the cap, not sure why you wouldn't push very hard to add Oden and hope that the doctors can repair the knee injury. He is at the point where if he doesn't get back in 2013-14 he is probably going to call it a career anyway. And if, like Z, they do finally get the injury fixed, you may get an 8-10 year impact center.

Noel/Andy/Zeller/Oden
Thompson/Speights
rejoice.png

Last edited:

Best case scenario is we get a guy who can play limited minutes for a couple of years and we get to worry about whether or not his knee is going to turn into dust every game.

Sounds like a hoot.

3 micro-fracture surgeries?
Call me skeptical that he can come back.

Noel/Andy/Zeller/Oden
Thompson/Speights
rejoice.png

Lol I said the same thing to a buddy yesterday, minus Speights. It makes you all giddy inside, even though the odds are against Oden making a successful comeback.

Even if he could only play an effective 10 minutes a night; adding him to Noel, Varejao, and Thompson would be filth. At least we would have insurance for the oft-injured Varejao and Oden :chuckles:

That said, probably won't be getting Noel and possibly not even Oden. Wishful thinking, though.

I'm a big Buckeye fan, live in Ohio, obvious Cavs fan.... someone tell me why the Cavs are on his list? He wants to get back to the league, I understand and support that, and the Cavs have cap space, I know that... but there are plenty of other teams that have or can make cap space if they wanted to take a chance on him.

I get a team like the Heat, or another contending team that can use a big man (even for 15 minutes a game)... but why isn't Indiana or Memphis being talked about as a spot for him too?
-He lived most of his life in Indiana (not sure if his family is still there or not), was a big name there in HS play.
-There is no big important connection between Ohio State Buckeyes and the Cavs... except they are in the same state- which I just don't see as being that important for this situation.
-His agent is Mike Conley Sr., he wouldn't want to be reunited with Mike Conley Jr. on a contending Griz team? Yes, I know that cap space/luxury tax is the problem there... but if they really wanted him (and maybe they don't?) and he really wanted to play with Conley again, they'd find a way to make it happen.

Again, I'd be all for the Cavs taking a shot with him... I just don't see why the only two teams being mentioned are Heat and Cavs... why aren't the Jazz being mentioned or the Wizards, or other teams that have or will have cap space....?

I'm a big Buckeye fan, live in Ohio, obvious Cavs fan.... someone tell me why the Cavs are on his list? He wants to get back to the league, I understand and support that, and the Cavs have cap space, I know that... but there are plenty of other teams that have or can make cap space if they wanted to take a chance on him.

I get a team like the Heat, or another contending team that can use a big man (even for 15 minutes a game)... but why isn't Indiana or Memphis being talked about as a spot for him too?
-He lived most of his life in Indiana (not sure if his family is still there or not), was a big name there in HS play.
-There is no big important connection between Ohio State Buckeyes and the Cavs... except they are in the same state- which I just don't see as being that important for this situation.
-His agent is Mike Conley Sr., he wouldn't want to be reunited with Mike Conley Jr. on a contending Griz team? Yes, I know that cap space/luxury tax is the problem there... but if they really wanted him (and maybe they don't?) and he really wanted to play with Conley again, they'd find a way to make it happen.

Again, I'd be all for the Cavs taking a shot with him... I just don't see why the only two teams being mentioned are Heat and Cavs... why aren't the Jazz being mentioned or the Wizards, or other teams that have or will have cap space....?

Having one of the best point guards in the league who happens to be only 20 years old is a hell of a lot of enticement.

Oden isn't a glitz and glam guy who needs a big market, he spent maybe the best year of his life in Ohio, and he would have the biggest dick in the state.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."