• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Woj Analyzes the New NBA Landscape

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It would be nice if the whole NBA would agree to stop overpaying bigs. Maybe there wouldn't be such a struggle to keep it under the cap then...like Roy Hibbert gets a max contract...how many big guys are better than Hibbert? I would say a whole lot so how many more max contracts are we going to be seeing? I mean if Hibbert gets a max contract, then if I was Varejao, Boozer, Noah, Lopez, Horford, or Monroe, I'd think I'd be max contract worthy too.

How can anyone take this guy seriously when he actually suggested that LeBron might have changed his mind if not for Gilberts letter. That is something some lunatic fan would write.

How can anyone take this guy seriously when he actually suggested that LeBron might have changed his mind if not for Gilberts letter. That is something some lunatic fan would write.

Woj uses strong and colorful language, but he's not a guy to make stuff up. I assume there is at least a little something to it.

Woj uses strong and colorful language, but he's not a guy to make stuff up. I assume there is at least a little something to it.

It's weird how he's super accurate with his news reporting, but is the ultimate soap box guy in his articles.

I don't really get the point of this article. All it is really doing is bashing Memphis for slashing salary and then saying Lebron could return to Cleveland.

What is the new NBA landscape?...The Lakers and Nets "super teams" were created after the lockout. The Grizz just have an owner like the Indians who wants to turn in a profit. Forget about winning.

Maybe he's overly critical of the Memphis deal, but its an undeniable fact that these super teams are going to have to start shedding salary.

The major effects of the CBA don't take effect until 2014 when the repeater tax hits. For some teams, the luxury tax becomes 5x more than it was under the old system, which means some of these teams will be looking at Yankees type payrolls.

And yes, the Lakers and Nets were built after the CBA, but they were built in the short term based on very specific circumstances:

The Lakers are built for this year, but by the time the tax would hit them, guys like Kobe, Gasol and after how crazy they have been this year, maybe even Howard will be off the books.

The Nets are gonna be in a real bind because they HAD to put together a semi winning product for their big Brooklyn launch, and they are gonna have some tough decisions in a few years too, although maybe less so because Prokhorov is a baller.

This is a terribly written article.

What I got out of it is Woj is jealous of Hollinger.

And Dan should have never written the comic sans letter---Just watching Lebron in the Decision, you could see he was not comfortable. I think he would have changed his mind....oh well.

And Dan should have never written the comic sans letter---Just watching Lebron in the Decision, you could see he was not comfortable. I think he would have changed his mind....oh well.

No he wouldn't have. He went on national t.v. and broke the hearts and ruined the goodwill of all the people in Cleveland and Ohio in general. There is no going back after that.

The fun part of the article is to figure out which agent or team exec is feeding him most of the talking points in this article. My guess is more that its from an agents/players point of view, because it reeks of an anger that they can't have everything they want, which was one of the main points of the Miami super team. Agents and players determining the make up of a team/player union rather than owners and gm's being in control.

What's funny is the article makes it sound like its all about cheap owners, when zero contracts were voided. The same amount of player contract money is still in the league as it was yesterday before the trade. And while some guys might not get the max deal they want if owners decide the best structure to a team is 2 superstars and actual good depth, then the nba 'middle class' should see healthier deals as a result

Definately it seems like the owners ie gilbert won. While we may not have seen a hard cap and we were dissappointed by the 2 year phase in allowing the cHeat to get their rings it is all happening as was predicted. Given the CAVS at the time of the lockout were starting from scratch and had just gotten incredibly lucky winning the lottery in a year when it was thought there was no franchise player but which became a year with one superstart kyrie we should be uniquely positioned for a possible run.

I disagree with literally every point you made in this post. Woj and Windy are the two best writers in the biz, and Woj did a great job showing how the new NBA landscape affects team construction. What the hell about it is poorly written?

Woj is just fine being a journalist. I don't think he wants to follow Hollinger to a front office.

Regarding The Letter, it was exactly what Cavs fans needed to hear that night. Gilbert's priority was letting Cavs fans know that he would move heaven and earth to bring Cleveland a championship. Appeasing LeBron (especially considering how poorly he conducted himself at the time) was the last thing in the world he cared about.

Him saying that he had doubts and would have considered changing his mind is an attempt to shift responsibility to someone else. BS. Gilberts letter expressed my feelings that night and still expresses my feelings at this very moment. When I heard some of the things that were being hidden by the media I was disgusted that I had bragged to everyone I knew what an OK guy he was. I was lied to and he is not the type of human being that I can ever again be a fan of. We can never again trust the local media to portray in an honest manner. We were used.
I don't think we realized all the ramifications of the new CBA at the time, but I am happy that this is going to slow down or halt some of the slime ball owners or GM's that will sell their honor for a championship.

Alternate title: I hate John Hollinger and ESPN Sucks!

Dear God, is this for real? You must be trolling.

LOL........

well these guys have to resign with these teams for the superteam thing to die, so dont get happy yet. League is at its best when everyteam has a star and talent is even distributed. Hopefully guys start seeing that just teaming with another star wont win it. Heat won because they were the best all around team, but year before that Mavs were. I also think the league needs to become rededicated to drafting

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."