• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Snowmobiler Caleb Moore dies after accident at Winter X-Games

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
DENVER -- Caleb Moore, an innovative freestyle snowmobile rider who was hurt in a crash at the Winter X Games in Colorado, died Thursday morning. He was 25.

Moore was being treated at a hospital in Grand Junction since the Jan. 24 crash. Family spokeswoman Chelsea Lawson confirmed his death, the first in the 18 year history of the X Games, which are produced by ESPN.

"He lived his life to the fullest. He was an inspiration," Lawson said.

A former all-terrain vehicle racer, Moore switched over to snowmobiles as a teenager and quickly rose to the top of the sport. He won four Winter X Games medals, including a bronze last season when his younger brother, Colten, captured gold.

Caleb Moore was attempting a backflip in the freestyle event in Aspen when the skis on his 450-pound snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him flying over the handlebars. Moore landed face first into the snow with his snowmobile rolling over him.

Moore stayed down for quite some time, before walking off with help and going to a hospital to treat a concussion. Moore developed bleeding around his heart and was flown to a hospital in Grand Junction for surgery. The family later said that Moore, of Krum, Texas, also had a complication involving his brain.

Colten Moore was injured in a separate crash that same night. He suffered a separated pelvis in the spill.

The family said in a statement they were grateful for all the prayers and support they have received from people around the world.

X Games officials expressed their condolences and said Moore, a four-time X Games medalist, would be remembered "for his natural passion for life and his deep love for his family and friends."

B.C. Vaught, Caleb Moore's agent for almost a decade, said he first saw Moore when he was racing an ATV in Minnesota and signed him up to star in some action sports movies.

Later, Moore wanted to make the switch from ATVs to snowmobiles and Vaught helped him. A natural talent, it only took Moore two weeks to master a difficult backflip.

Moore's brother also got involved in snowmobiling, the close-knit duo pushing each other to become better.

Moore honed his skills in Krum, a town about 5,000 people 50 miles northwest of Dallas that rarely sees snow. Instead, he worked on tricks by launching his sled into a foam pit. After a brief training run on snow ramps in Michigan, he was ready for his sport's biggest stage -- the 2010 Winter X Games.

In that contest, Moore captured a bronze in freestyle and finished sixth in best trick. Two years later, his biography on ESPN said, "Caleb Moore has gone from `beginner's luck' to `serious threat."

That was hardly a surprise to Vaught, who said, "Whatever he wanted to do, he did it."

Vaught said Moore didn't believe his sport was too extreme, but rather "it was a lifestyle." He was good at it -- along with ATV racing -- as he accumulated a garage full of trophies.

Fellow snowmobile rider Levi LaVallee recently described Moore as a "fierce competitor."

"A very creative mind," LaVallee said. "I've watched him try some crazy, crazy tricks and some of them were successful, some of them not so much. But he was first guy to get back on a sled and go try it again. It shows a lot of heart."

X Games officials said in a statement that they would conduct a thorough review of freestyle snowmobiling events and adopt any appropriate changes.

"For 18 years, we have worked closely on safety issues with athletes, course designers and other experts. Still, when the world's best compete at the highest level in any sport, risks remain," they said, noting that Moore was hurt performing a move he had done several times before.

[video=youtube;D6mG_Asshvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6mG_Asshvo[/video]

These guys are nuts for flipping those machines. I wish people were smarter than to do it, but hey, this is America.

RIP to Caleb Moore, maybe the X Games will re-think having a snowmobile big-air competition.

As insensitive as this sounds, another "adrenaline junkie" bites thes dust. I feel sorry for his family. For him, not so much. He knew the risks. He thought he could beat the risks. He took the risks. He lost. The risks won. As Jigo would say, "The herd has been thinned".

As insensitive as this sounds, another "adrenaline junkie" bites thes dust. I feel sorry for his family. For him, not so much. He knew the risks. He thought he could beat the risks. He took the risks. He lost. The risks won. As Jigo would say, "The herd has been thinned".

Ya. Insensitive as it sounds, you're right. Jigo is probably rubbing his fu manchu, saying "excellent".

You guys are dicks...

These aren't the kind of people we need to be thinned of. At least these guys were working towards pursuing a dream and accomplishing things, albeit very dangerous things.

These deaths and severe injuries are going to come along with extreme sports and they're pretty much inevitable. But hey...these guys choose to partake and know the risks going on.

There's many, many people whom I'd have chosen to die before this guy.

The only problem I really have is that the names Caleb and Colten (spelled wrong!!!) are horribly lame. Colton seems to be a popular one lately and it's just stupid. And the kids parents actually spelled the damn name wrong.

Last edited:
You guys are dicks...

These aren't the kind of people we need to be thinned of. At least these guys were working towards pursuing a dream and accomplishing things, albeit very dangerous things.

These deaths and severe injuries are going to come along with extreme sports and they're pretty much inevitable. But hey...these guys choose to partake and know the risks going on.

There's many, many people whom I'd have chosen to die before this guy.

Make the welfare line a conveyor of sorts:

kzgar.jpg

Also, you can plan to attack Wal-Marts on the 1st-4th of any given month.

I know a weed dealer who bought a new car and iPhone from his "work" and collects stamps, which he buys Red Bull with. Not my guy, so he can go.

Society would be better off dropping a pit right after the cash registers at Wal-Mart. That's where they roost.

If they surpass a certain weight, down they go. If they surpass a certain amount of sugar in their groceries, down they go. If they complain about the price of an item, ask questions or otherwise hold up the line to a selfish extent...a separate pit actually opens up at the cash register and whomever is behind them and avoids the pit gets to keep them.

If those lazy fucks leave a cart anywhere other than the cart corral, they will be snatched up and burnt together inside of a large wicker man that stands menacingly behind the Wal Mart.

There's enough good people in the welfare lines that it's probably not fair to target them. Plus, the ones that suck will end up at Wal-Mart at some point anyways.

I happen to have a grandson who is very big into the X Games and events ...he knows the Moore family pretty well. Just a devastating set of circumstances that lead to his death. But, me not really being too knowledgeable or up on all the events, but just speculating from afar at what I see of the events my grandson had ties to, with kids he trains with etc, and have been around at family gatherings and picnics ...I can't believe the severe danger levels that exist in many of these events, and how they go on ..without having more of these type tragedies. It's inevitable, but I would think some serious looks need to be made into regulating some of these events scope,..

I happen to have a grandson who is very big into the X Games and events ...he knows the Moore family pretty well. Just a devastating set of circumstances that lead to his death. But, me not really being too knowledgeable or up on all the events, but just speculating from afar at what I see of the events my grandson had ties to, with kids he trains with etc, and have been around at family gatherings and picnics ...I can't believe the severe danger levels that exist in many of these events, and how they go on ..without having more of these type tragedies. It's inevitable, but I would think some serious looks need to be made into regulating some of these events scope,..

ESPN had said that they were going to seriously look into and review their current safety policies and procedures that they have in place for these types of events. It's just too bad that it took someone with their entire life still ahead of them dying to implement such review and possible change. A tragic story all around, but at least he went out doing what he loved to do.

He died of a blood clot, something that could have existed prior to the crash.

Society would be better off dropping a pit right after the cash registers at Wal-Mart. That's where they roost.

If they surpass a certain weight, down they go. If they surpass a certain amount of sugar in their groceries, down they go. If they complain about the price of an item, ask questions or otherwise hold up the line to a selfish extent...a separate pit actually opens up at the cash register and whomever is behind them and avoids the pit gets to keep them.

If those lazy fucks leave a cart anywhere other than the cart corral, they will be snatched up and burnt together inside of a large wicker man that stands menacingly behind the Wal Mart.

There's enough good people in the welfare lines that it's probably not fair to target them. Plus, the ones that suck will end up at Wal-Mart at some point anyways.

Lets put together a "political party". I'll be your veep. On the side, we can get a head start and eliminate those that would certainly vote against us. :chuckles:

Only half joking.

They interviewed another x-gamer and they said there's no more places to discover on the Earth, so now they push limits with their bodies. It makes sense. Just tragic. And of course they put themselves at risk, and so does every driver but would you say that it thins the herd of drivers? Just an ignorant comment to make.

They interviewed another x-gamer and they said there's no more places to discover on the Earth, so now they push limits with their bodies. It makes sense.
No, it doesn't make sense. Not only are there places on earth still left to explore, but that doesn't excuse a person to think that flipping a snowmobile over their heads is a good idea.

Guy who does "tricks" with snowmobiles dies. No shit.

Why do we always have to protect everybody from themselves? Kid died doing what he loved. Don't we all wish the same for our lives when it's our time?

I can only imagine all the protectors in the modern day in the past. No you can't get in a flying machine. You could hurt yourself. No you can't cross the country on wagons. There's no laws in the west. No you can't sail your boat in the ocean do you know how big the waves can get. You could be killed.

Why is everything a tragedy like this? Why do we have to make sure it never happens again? Why can't we accept the risks and respect this man doing what he loves?

Is it more honorable if he dies in a bed at 70 and never lived his life? Or is full of regret for not accomplishing what he thought he could?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."