• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mo Speights to OKC trade idea

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
People wanna trade a productive big man entering his prime in the hopes that the Cavs can draft a teenager that may not even turn out as good as he is

People wanna trade a productive big man entering his prime in the hopes that the Cavs can draft a teenager that may not even turn out as good as he is

I would agree with you if he weren't going to become a FA this summer. What the crap are we going to do if some offers him 8 million a year for 3 years? It's such a risk...

The voice of Reason and King of Optimism.....................
or i just like to use a little thing called logic. but i guess since i must state the obvious (to you, at least):

okc traded arguably their second best player this past off-season solely because of the cap implications of holding onto him. the player they received for him is a free agent at the end of the year and there are questions as to whether they can even afford to keep him. speights is also going to be a free agent this off-season and as a halfway decent big man, will surely be getting offers higher than he deserves.

so please, feel free to explain how a cost-conscious team like okc can afford to make this trade. also, please explain why they would prefer martin and speights instead of just keeping harden in the first place. thx.

I would agree with you if he weren't going to become a FA this summer. What the crap are we going to do if some offers him 8 million a year for 3 years? It's such a risk...

Am I missing something? From what I see Speights is set to be under contract and make 4,515,000 in 2013/2014. Since he was traded, is his contract null and void unless it's with Memphis?

Am I missing something? From what I see Speights is set to be under contract and make 4,515,000 in 2013/2014. Since he was traded, is his contract null and void unless it's with Memphis?

It's a player's option. So, Speights can choose to opt out of his contract. Since is underpaid, it is very very likely to happen. At the worst, he should be able to get just as much as he is now receiving. Can't see his agent not testing the water.

It's a player's option. So, Speights can choose to opt out of his contract. Since is underpaid, it is very very likely to happen. At the worst, he should be able to get just as much as he is now receiving. Can't see his agent not testing the water.

Hoopshype doesn't have it as a player option. Guess they are wrong?

Hoopshype doesn't have it as a player option. Guess they are wrong?

I can find more if you'd like. He definitely has a player's option.

Rumors say the Cavs may be willing to move Speights at the trade deadline, and while they really like him, it wouldn’t be a major surprise. He can opt out of his contract at season’s end and will be looking to get paid.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2013/01/post_65.html

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/marreese-speights/

In order to get anything of value from the Thunder, I think we'd have to take back Perkins and his hefty contract. If we sent Speights and Boobie and got back Perkins, Lamb, and the Toronto pick, that would be like paying $17 million for Lamb and Toronto's lottery pick. Not sure if Grant would even consider some form of this deal due to Perks' $9 million salary in 14/15, but we showed with the Baron Davis trade that we're willing to pay serious dollars for a lottery pick.

I still somehow think Speights,Walton & maybe Casspi are headed to GSW with Jefferson being involved. Problem is their pick is headed to Utah this year.

Actually call it crazy, I could see Grant pulling the trigger by sending that same package to Orlando for their 2014 1st in some capacity (some protection). Maybe a right to swap, or give them back their 2nds, or even the Kings pick. They need out of mediocrity, and need to unload an option that Turkey Glue is sure to pick up.

Those are the only teams that A) could use a big, B) use some cap relief, or C) would want to acquire some assets.

Too many teams blowing it up, traded their picks away, or are not worth trading with.

In order to get anything of value from the Thunder, I think we'd have to take back Perkins and his hefty contract. If we sent Speights and Boobie and got back Perkins, Lamb, and the Toronto pick, that would be like paying $17 million for Lamb and Toronto's lottery pick. Not sure if Grant would even consider some form of this deal due to Perks' $9 million salary in 14/15, but we showed with the Baron Davis trade that we're willing to pay serious dollars for a lottery pick.

OKC is keeping that pick. Theyll use it to draft a high prospect that will have a rookie contract while the top dawgs are getting paid. Lamb & Jones fit that role as well. Next year they, along with the raps pick, will be much more in the rotation.

Len, Oladipo, & Muhammad all could fill a need for them and compliment the players in place.

I still somehow think Speights,Walton & maybe Casspi are headed to GSW with Jefferson being involved. Problem is their pick is headed to Utah this year.

Actually call it crazy, I could see Grant pulling the trigger by sending that same package to Orlando for their 2014 1st in some capacity (some protection). Maybe a right to swap, or give them back their 2nds, or even the Kings pick. They need out of mediocrity, and need to unload an option that Turkey Glue is sure to pick up.

Those are the only teams that A) could use a big, B) use some cap relief, or C) would want to acquire some assets.

Too many teams blowing it up, traded their picks away, or are not worth trading with.

You do know that Orlando's record is worse than our's correct? And that they're under the cap next season? And that their owner is significantly wealthier than our's? Why in hell are they going to give up an almost assured top 5 pick in a great draft next year to save around $10 million? Plus, they can just trade Turkoglu as an expiring next year and add assets that way.

You do know that Orlando's record is worse than our's correct? And that they're under the cap next season? And that their owner is significantly wealthier than our's? Why in hell are they going to give up an almost assured top 5 pick in a great draft next year to save around $10 million? Plus, they can just trade Turkoglu as an expiring next year and add assets that way.

ahh the Cavalier inferiority complex rearing its ugly head again.

Cavs brought in around 128 million in revenue last year. Orlando 126. Orlando had Dwight and the Cavs had a 20% loss in attendance. Cavs also had 18 million in operating income to the magic s 12. Cavs are also spending more money on their organization. workout facilities. arena upgrades etc. Despite a 46% debt value they are turning a profit.

Of course Orlandos owner has a net woth of 5 billion and Gilbert chimes in at a paltry billion.

ahh the Cavalier inferiority complex rearing its ugly head again.

Cavs brought in around 128 million in revenue last year. Orlando 126. Orlando had Dwight and the Cavs had a 20% loss in attendance. Cavs also had 18 million in operating income to the magic s 12. Cavs are also spending more money on their organization. workout facilities. arena upgrades etc. Despite a 46% debt value they are turning a profit.

Of course Orlandos owner has a net woth of 5 billion and Gilbert chimes in at a paltry billion.

Orlando just built a brand spanking new arena that's freaking gorgeous, what the hell are you talking about?

Orlando just built a brand spanking new arena that's freaking gorgeous, what the hell are you talking about?

Yes, Orlando built a brand new arena, which the Magic do not own.......

Yes, Orlando built a brand new arena, which the Magic do not own.......

And that's different than the Cavs how? The idea was that the reason they didn't spend any money on "arena upgrades" was that they don't need to change a brand new arena. My whole point was that Orlando's not in a position where they need to dump salary, especially if doing so means putting their rebuild on hold by giving away lottery picks.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-12: "Max Strus Juice"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."