• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Implosion of the Los Angeles Lakers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MGMT

All-Star
Reaction score
Dwight seems so sad all the time nowadays.

The lakers need to trade Howard for Lopez if the Nets will still do it (plus whatever they need to get the salaries to work). That's increasingly looking like the only way for them to salvage this season. Howard quite clearly doesn't have the heart and the lakers are running out of time. His last two seasons have been a complete disgrace to the game. Can the commissioner kick him off of the all star team for "basketball reasons?"

After tonight's game

Serena Winters @SerenaWinters

Mike D'Antoni also informed us on @TWCSportsNet that Dwight's been cleared to play for awhile...tonight he just decided to play...

and

Dwight Howard: "This is my first game back. It sucks that we got blew (sic) out, but the first game back is always tough."

He only missed 3 games.

Last edited:
Re: Tracking the 2013 Draft Picks

It really sucked not being able to enjoy that blitzkrieg on the Lakers.

I still enjoyed it. Fuck the Lakers.

Maybe we don't get their pick, but if we don't, that means the Lakers didn't make the playoffs for the first time in over two decades, so I look at it as win-win.

Maybe we don't get their pick, but if we don't, that means the Lakers didn't make the playoffs for the first time in over two decades, so I look at it as win-win.

They didnt make it in 05'. They were also put out in the first orund in 06 & 07'

Although the Cavs & Dan responded to me on twitter, I am still holding out that they did not protect the pick from us.

The lakers need to trade Howard for Lopez if the Nets will still do it (plus whatever they need to get the salaries to work). That's increasingly looking like the only way for them to salvage this season. Howard quite clearly doesn't have the heart and the lakers are running out of time. His last two seasons have been a complete disgrace to the game. Can the commissioner kick him off of the all star team for "basketball reasons?"

After tonight's game

and

He only missed 3 games.

I brought this up the other day with a friend. They need to get something out of him because he is going to bolt

You guys need to just let this go. We aren't getting the pick from the Lakers. It's just not in the cards this year.

Oh and Dwights a huge bitch

Wanted to make this a separate thread to the Mike D'Antoni thread. Feel free to move if needed.

I don't know that I have ever seen such a public implosion of a sports team than what we have witnessed this past year with the Los Angeles Lakers. To recap:

July 4th, 2012 - Steve Nash agrees to a sign-and-trade deal with the Phoenix Suns that sends him to the Lakers.

August 10th, 2012 - Dwight Howard is moved to the Lakers in a four-team trade that also sees Andre Iguodala move to Denver and Andrew Bynum to Philadelphia.

November 9th, 2012 -
Just five games into the season, former Cavaliers head coach Mike Brown is fired after a 1-4 start, to much criticism from around the league.

November 12th, 2012 - Mike D'Antoni, NOT Phil Jackson as was first widely believed, is hired to become the next head coach of the Lakers.

The Lakers currently sit at 23-27, 10th in the Western Conference and 3.5 games out of the 8th seed. Per a D'Antoni-coached team, they are 6th in PPG but 25th in opponent PPG. They average more turnovers per game than they force. Dwight Howard is hurt (or so he says) and he is publicly pouting. Kobe, per usual, is calling his teammates out in the media. Pau Gasol has publicly expressed his displeasure in coming off the bench and was experiencing one of the worst seasons of his career until he tore his right plantar fascia at Brooklyn the other night. Now he is going to miss 6-8 weeks if he rehabs the injury, or 10-12 if he opts for surgery. This team needs to swallow their pride, admit that the Dwight Howard experiment didn't work, and deal him away before the deadline, because unless things magically change overnight, I don't see him staying in LA next season.

What a mess. I guess it goes to show that just because something looks good on paper, doesn't necessarily mean it will translate into wins. At any rate, I would very much like for the Lakers to sneak into the playoffs so that the Cavs will be able to get that draft pick. If they do, it seems very likely that it could end up as high as the mid to late teens.

Although the Cavs & Dan responded to me on twitter, I am still holding out that they did not protect the pick from us.

Being delusional even though you were directly told otherwise isn't going to help things. Of course the swap is protected, otherwise the Lakers deal with Phoenix couldn't have happened.

They actually have missed the postseason in the last few years (I think someone said it was '05), but even if we don't get that pick I still look at it as a "super team" that failed to live up to any of the hype they generated, and that right there makes me happy.

Dwight Howard and Mike D'Antoni are sinking this team. They need to swallow their pride and cut both of them loose -- Howard before the deadline, and D'Antoni after they miss the playoffs for the first time in 8 years and only the second time in the last 20 or so.

They actually have missed the postseason in the last few years (I think someone said it was '05), but even if we don't get that pick I still look at it as a "super team" that failed to live up to any of the hype they generated, and that right there makes me happy.

Dwight Howard and Mike D'Antoni are sinking this team. They need to swallow their pride and cut both of them loose -- Howard before the deadline, and D'Antoni after they miss the playoffs for the first time in 8 years and only the second time in the last 20 or so.

Yeah I missed that year when I was scanning their recent playoff berths. All those dates kind of blend together. Still, once in 20 years? That's nothing. Prior to the 04-05 season, the last time the Lakers missed the playoffs was 93-94, twenty years ago, and before that it was 75-76. Think about that. Since 1976, the Lakers have missed the playoffs twice. In their entire history, they've missed the playoffs five damn times.

Sure, we may not get a pick, but enjoy this. It's fantastic.

I really can't take much enjoyment out of the Lakers missing the playoffs. They'll reload and be back in title contention soon regardless, because they're the Lakers.

Not getting the #15-16 pick in the draft sucks. That could end up being a stud, or could be an asset that could facilitate a trade up for our guy. I wanted that damn pick.

I really can't take much enjoyment out of the Lakers missing the playoffs. They'll reload and be back in title contention soon regardless, because they're the Lakers.

Not getting the #15-16 pick in the draft sucks. That could end up being a stud, or could be an asset that could facilitate a trade up for our guy. I wanted that damn pick.

I think the times are changing for the Lakers. The son is not the father. The Lakers are about to go the way of the Knicks in my opinion. They already made a very "Knicks" decision when they passed over Phil Jackson in favor of Mike D'Antoni.

I thought the Cavs get the pick if the Lakers miss the playoffs.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."