• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

D League stuff I found interesting...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
So if say Harangody is in the D league, and his rights are swapped to another D team... the pro contract he signed with Clev is still valid if he is called up by a different NBA team?

As I understand it:

If someone like Selby (under contract with the Cavs) is assigned to Canton, I doubt he can be "traded" or "reassigned" to another D-L affiliate. Must stick with Canton. If he is traded by the Cavs to another NBA team, that new NBA team can decide whether to send him to the D-League (an affiliate team if they have one).

Harangody was waived by the Cavs, but they still owe him the rest of the guaranteed money on his contract. He can play in the D-League after being waived, and I'm sure he can be shuffled around according to D-League rules. If he signs with a new NBA team, they don't assume the Cavs contract (they would have assumed the Cavs contract if they claimed him on waivers). Instead, the new NBA team negotiates a brand new contract with Harangody. Typically, it will be the minimum contract or something close for a player who passed through waivers. I believe Harangody then gets to 'double dip' (payments from Cavs and new team), although perhaps there are some restrictions to that. The new NBA team can assign Harangody to their D-league affiliate if they have one (or another D-league team).

Basically, I don't think some D-league transactions are possible for players under NBA contract, and any transactions involving a contracted NBA player are going to flow through the NBA teams down to the D-league, not the other way around.

Just to try to simplify.

a D league Contract means any NBA can call up a player. They sign a typical ten contract with the team that contracts with them. so getting "called" means a team signed them.

on the other End a player with a NBA contract is under the contract terms of that individiual NBA team and they can only send that player down to the affiliated D league team.

Harangody for instance was on "loan" to Canton as a NBA player. The d league didnt have any contract rights on harangody and could not send him to another d league team if they wanted to.

Harrangody after being waived by an NBA team then signed directly to d league and was claimed by Canton a month after the Cavs Waived him. He was then as a Canton Charge D league player traded to Ft Wayne for Jujuan Johnson. In order for that to happen Harangody had to sign a d League contract.

Also there was a rule change this year that replaced thelocal market roster rule and was replaced with allowing a d league franhise to have the rights of the last three players cut from their NBA affiliate. This means players will get to try out for an NBA team and if it doesnt work out they can play with that teams NBA affiliate. This allows the Cavs to cut a guy like Kevin Jones and see him in a locker room environment and on the court. although the Jones could of got called up with any team He was given guaranteed money by the Cavs which padded things in their favor to resign him once he showed the progress they were looking for.

hmm i was trying to simplify things I beleive i failed on that measure.

hmm i was trying to simplify things I beleive i failed on that measure.

It happens with every NBA-related contractual issue.

:chuckles:

This is fantastic stuff. Feels like a grainy ABA documentary or something.

I'm curious to hear if the big-league club (Cavs) has heavy input when it comes to the type of offense/defensive strategy the D-League club runs. In other words, when we send a player down, are they working in the same sets and using the same terminology and all that? Just wondering to what extent it is function as a "minor league" club in that sense.

I was familiar with the relative D-League salaries (though not the tiers). Most players would make more $ landing a 10-day contract in the NBA than playing for a full season riding buses in the D-league.
Last season the Charge GM was Wes Wilcox (if I remember) but he was also the Director of player development or something for the Cavs.. so I believe the Charge are ran like a farm system. But I believe that is the exception not the rule.

Wuck and Tornicade, thanks for your explanations. Some of what you wrote, was confirmed last night talking to my friend, but you covered other areas too and I appreciate that.

As regards the D league teams running the same Off and Def systems as "the parent club"... my friends team is affilated with 4 NBA teams... so that explains why they don't... which pro clubs system are they gonna run?? He also said the San Antonio D team (Austin Tx?) runs identical schemes as the Spurs including the same terminology... guess that should be no surprise... the Spurs organization just seems to be run ship-shape from top to bottom in a well thought-out fashion.

Last night my friend pointed out that one of the asst coaches of one of the pro teams has been with their team for the last week... working with one of the players they had sent down... monitoring his attitude, running specific drills with him, etc. Kinda cool that this pro asst coach has also been working with and helping out any and all of the players on the team, no matter which team they are affiliated with, helping out the staff, and he was in the game huddles too. I wonder if he has been checking out the coaching staff too...

I'll say this... the D league sure seems like a guard oriented league... not a lot of plays run for the bigs... they pretty much have to create their own opportunities through hustle down the floor or aggressive offensive rebounding.... certainly what would be expected of them to do anyway... but not a lot of plays run for them.

On a d-league side note.. did anyone notice Reggie Theus is coaching the LA D-Fenders?

The D League players who aren't under contract by a NBA team (not Selby) can be called up for 10-day contracts. I think it can only happen twice. This is big money compared to what they normally get.

The trade deadline is probably a fun time for most of the d-league as this is probably when they're most likely to be called up. Whenever a team trades 5 players for 2. I remember the Cavs called up two D league players when they traded for Delonte, Wally, Smith, & Wallace. This was because they hardly had enough guys to field a team.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."