• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Victor Oladipo Crush-a-lot

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best players available when we draft except PG Best players available when we draft except PG Best players available when we draft except PG

Just in case your are confused Best players available when we draft exceptPG

I want to have to have OKC's problem in 4 years do we keep our Hardin or trade for a solid veteran guy and 3 draft picks and a young talent.

Last edited:
^ Lotta fail bro. All good, except you have to accept the punishment. ;)

Disagree with Ron. I refuse to accept the Cavs drafting another PG when they already have Kyrie...

Disagree with Ron. I refuse to accept the Cavs drafting another PG when they already have Kyrie...

I take acception to you not excepting that.

Am I the only one that sees a slightly smaller Shawn Marion when it comes to Oladipo? Both have crazy athleticism, rebound better than expected for their height, and the ability to guard multiply positions, but can't shoot the lights out or go off the dribble with assured success. I don't think I would take him top 5, but if we some how slid down a bit, I think he would be worth taking a shot on. He's the kind of winning "glue-guy" we need.

That's not a bad comparison at all, although describing Marion's jump shot as just "not being able to shoot the lights out" is a bit charitable.

The big question on Oladipo right now is his shooting -- fluke, or real improvement? I imagine folks are going to watch that closely the rest of this year, look at film to see if his form has improved, and evaluate that in workouts.

Shawm Marion with a plus jump shot would have been a hell of a player.

Byron is probably already in love with oladipo. He can cross match the back court all day adding him with gee. He seems like a very good fit. I also think stein is a very good fit here depending on health later on in the draft.

I'd probably go Noel, Len, zeller, bennett, oladipo. Think charlotte and orlando are going to take shabazz, and mclemore off the board. We really could end up with cody zeller. funny.

Bennett could be a big success story for us given how well speights fits in. Cavs need a stretch big man. Kyrie and waiters thrive with a spread floor.

So he' going to come in and put in 15 PPG or better his rookie year? i doubt it
Well if 15 ppg is your criteria for success than I guess not..

But I'll take his defense, quickness, athleticism, and motor over Waiters... I like Waiters' defense, but this Indiana dude has Gary Payton potential ob that end of the floor...

But I'll take his defense, quickness, athleticism, and motor over Waiters... I like Waiters' defense, but this Indiana dude has Gary Payton potential ob that end of the floor...

Who scores the ball then? Kyrie and Kyrie?

Who scores the ball then? Kyrie and Kyrie?
Dion can be a fine 3rd scorer on a contending team... I can't see this team really be under the impression that Dion is our primary 2nd option and 2nd best player moving forward..

I mean for the type of team we have now thats fine-- but insert Dion on any contender and he's bench help or a 4th option, 3rd scorer at best... He doesn't do anything that great to warrant otherwise..

Dion can be a fine 3rd scorer on a contending team... I can't see this team really be under the impression that Dion is our primary 2nd option and 2nd best player moving forward..

I mean for the type of team we have now thats fine-- but insert Dion on any contender and he's bench help or a 4th option, 3rd scorer at best... He doesn't do anything that great to warrant otherwise..

This year, sure. Insert last year's Tristan Thompson into a contender's rotation and he doesn't see the floor. You still didn't answer the question, however. If Oladipo gets drafted as the starter, who scores other than Kyrie?

yeah 15 is my criteria for success at minimum when you're wasting a top 5 pick on a guy to replace a player who was just a top 4 pick and getting 14 PPG halway through his rookie year

i would expect more then 15 PPG though, something significant like 20 PPG or he would forever be labeled a mistake pick and ill take Waiters quickness over Oladipo all day long, every day of the week and twice on everyday of the week

Still didn't answer the question....

What happens when Dion continues his upward swing in development and Oladipo inevitably levels off because he doesn't have a single NBA offensive skill? Who breaks down a defense once teams double Kyrie? Oladipo can't dribble with his left hand; watch some video. His full arsenal of offensive skills is to run really fast past a defender and pray there isn't anyone in the lane. The San Antonio Spurs are a little better than the Illinois Fighting Illini and Oladipo couldn't even get to the rack against them.....

Still didn't answer the question....

What happens when Dion continues his upward swing in development and Oladipo inevitably levels off because he doesn't have a single NBA offensive skill?

Generally, atheleticism is considered the limiting factor in potential, because while skills can be improved, athleticism can't be. Oladipo is generally considered one of the best athletes in college, yet you point to his lacking some skills as proof that he can never develop them. It's odd, especially given that the overwhelming weight of opinion is that Oladipo has improved his offensive skills significantly this year. But you're not only positive that Oladipo's skills won't continue to develop, but positive that Dion's will. That's just horrible bias.

They are different players. Oladipo is longer and more athletic than DW, a better rebounder, a much better defender, better finisher, and seems to be a better shooter as well. DW is better at creating his own shot off the dribble. But you take DW's one advantage -- creating off the dribble -- and turn it into the only offensive skill that matters by claiming Oladipo lacks skills. You can't have the highest TS% in college basketball while simultaneously lacking a single NBA offensive skills. I'm not sure whether that's hyperbole or whether you actually believe that, but either way, it's simply wrong.

Who breaks down a defense once teams double Kyrie?

One way to beat the double team is to pass it to a teammate who is a reliable jump shooter. Or, perhaps a teammate who excels at off ball movement cuts to the basket.

Oladipo can't dribble with his left hand; watch some video.

So "can't dribble left" now becomes "has no NBA offensive skills,"? You think Oladipo would be the first successful NBA backcourt play who was limited dribbling with his left hand when he came into the league? The point of drafting Oladipo -- if the good big man options are off the board --isn't to replace Waiters. It's to add defense and flexibility to the backcourt by adding a guy who rounds out the required skill set for a 3 guard rotation with great defensive and off-ball skills. I have a lot of doubts as to an Irving/Waiters backcourt being good enough defensively, or being able to work well together if we acquire a ball-dominant 3 at some point.

Generally, atheleticism is considered the limiting factor in potential, because while skills can be improved, athleticism can't be. Oladipo is generally considered one of the best athletes in college, yet you point to his lacking some skills as proof that he can never develop them. It's odd, especially given that the overwhelming weight of opinion is that Oladipo has improved his offensive skills significantly this year. But you're not only positive that Oladipo's skills won't continue to develop, but positive that Dion's will. That's just horrible bias.

They are different players. Oladipo is longer and more athletic than DW, a better rebounder, a much better defender, better finisher, and seems to be a better shooter as well. DW is better at creating his own shot off the dribble. But you take DW's one advantage -- creating off the dribble -- and turn it into the only offensive skill that matters by claiming Oladipo lacks skills. You can't have the highest TS% in college basketball while simultaneously lacking a single NBA offensive skills. I'm not sure whether that's hyperbole or whether you actually believe that, but either way, it's simply wrong.

One way to beat the double team is to pass it to a teammate who is a reliable jump shooter. Or, perhaps a teammate who excels at off ball movement cuts to the basket.

So "can't dribble left" now becomes "has no NBA offensive skills,"? You think Oladipo would be the first successful NBA backcourt play who was limited dribbling with his left hand when he came into the league? The point of drafting Oladipo -- if the good big man options are off the board --isn't to replace Waiters. It's to add defense and flexibility to the backcourt by adding a guy who rounds out the required skill set for a 3 guard rotation with great defensive and off-ball skills. I have a lot of doubts as to an Irving/Waiters backcourt being good enough defensively, or being able to work well together if we acquire a ball-dominant 3 at some point.

While Oladipo has great defensive potencial, his offense is a mess. He doesn't do one thing at elite level(offensively) in college, and that means that his offensive game won't translate to the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."