• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

IGN: PS4 Prototype Controller Leak

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Right now it looks like one of those second hand madcatz controllers. I can't see the the L2 or R2 and I hope they turned those into triggers.

Aside from the fact that it was vastly inferior to the 360 controller, I guess.

I disagree 100%. To me, the DualShock controller is the best controller ever made. It's absolutely a dream to work with on almost all genres of games - except one. First Person Shooters.

As someone who played FPSes very seriously for several years, I will be the first to say that outside of a mouse/keyboard combo, nothing that I've ever used comes close to the 360 controller.

However, for racing games, fighting games, platformers, or jRPGs, there's simply no contest. The wireless by default PS3 controller (sixaxis for long stints) is a dream to play with.

At present, I don't game much, but when I do, I prefer a PS3 controller. (using motioninjoy via bluetooth).

This new one doesn't really look like it addresses the main problems with previous iterations, though.

I think the biggest 'problem' with the PS3 controller is found with 360 users who, like me, prefer the staggered thumbpads for FPSes. But most PS3-centric users that I know simply don't share that view and actually prefer the PS3 controller. I don't think it honestly has many flaws.

Requiring a cable to sync is a flaw IMO, however. Data should move through the cable when cabled as well. Other than that it works, and works very well..

Personally, I think the only genre that the PS3 controller is better for is fighting games, and that's obviously because the 360 controller's d-pad is a total piece of shit. For every other genre I'd rather use the 360 controller because it has the left stick in the right place and the button layout is generally better.

The 360 controller has a better feel to it. The DS3 is too light and flimsy and the controller itself is a bit too small.

Personally, I think the only genre that the PS3 controller is better for is fighting games, and that's obviously because the 360 controller's d-pad is a total piece of shit. For every other genre I'd rather use the 360 controller because it has the left stick in the right place and the button layout is generally better.

Here's a test, have you ever tried to play Super Mario World with a 360 controller? How about Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, or Mega-Man? The D-Pad is useless, the buttons are way too fat and heavy giving too much feedback once depressed and generally have slow action. So to me, difficult platformers are much better on the PS3 controller.

Fighting games are a given in all respects.

jRPGs are games that are usually played hours on end. The lightweight SixAxis controller can be used and the analog stick has fairly little resistance allowing for extended game play. Games that have reconfigurable controls, or when playing on the PC, can be easily played single-handedly. I used to play Suikoden and Final Fantasy with one hand. Hell I can beat most people in Street Fighter single-handed on a PS3 controller.

For racing games, I much prefer the leveled and smooth analog sticks to the 360's staggered sticks. I've played Gran Turismo and Forza at length on both platforms, and without comparing the games themselves, I feel far more comfortable with the PS3 controller. Now, I'm sure much of that has to do with the fact that I've played every Gran Turismo to completion and I'm comfortable with the controls, but perhaps all this is really pretty subjective.

Suffice it to say, I think the 360 controller is really best for games where the primary mode of action is the dual analog layout with the triggers. Games requiring fast button presses would benefit from the SixAxis/DShock layout and style. Games requiring a D-Pad shouldn't be played on the 360 controller, which is a big issue for 2D games, platformers, menu driven games, and fighters.

The 360 controller has a better feel to it.

Depends on what feel you're going for. I'd agree if I'm playing Halo. I'd be upset if playing Tekken.

The DS3 is too light and flimsy and the controller itself is a bit too small.

DS3, to me, isn't light at all. The SixAxis is light, even somewhat flimsy. But they serve different purposes. I'd rather play with a SixAxis for all genres save racing, and for that I'd prefer the DS3. For a FPS I just the the PS3 controller isn't well suited, and since that's the primary genre today, I can understand why people don't care for the PS3 controller. If most of what you play is FPS, then you'd probably be better off with a 360 controller..

My problem with the D pad they are showing in the prototype is there is no space in the middle like the DS3. I don't know about you guys but I sort of use that space with my thumb as a "home base". Without that space I might be more liable to smash two buttons at once in tense moments causing me to go into a direction i don't necessarily want to go.

Here's a test, have you ever tried to play Super Mario World with a 360 controller? How about Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, or Mega-Man? The D-Pad is useless, the buttons are way too fat and heavy giving too much feedback once depressed and generally have slow action. So to me, difficult platformers are much better on the PS3 controller.

Fighting games are a given in all respects.

jRPGs are games that are usually played hours on end. The lightweight SixAxis controller can be used and the analog stick has fairly little resistance allowing for extended game play. Games that have reconfigurable controls, or when playing on the PC, can be easily played single-handedly. I used to play Suikoden and Final Fantasy with one hand. Hell I can beat most people in Street Fighter single-handed on a PS3 controller.

For racing games, I much prefer the leveled and smooth analog sticks to the 360's staggered sticks. I've played Gran Turismo and Forza at length on both platforms, and without comparing the games themselves, I feel far more comfortable with the PS3 controller. Now, I'm sure much of that has to do with the fact that I've played every Gran Turismo to completion and I'm comfortable with the controls, but perhaps all this is really pretty subjective.

Suffice it to say, I think the 360 controller is really best for games where the primary mode of action is the dual analog layout with the triggers. Games requiring fast button presses would benefit from the SixAxis/DShock layout and style. Games requiring a D-Pad shouldn't be played on the 360 controller, which is a big issue for 2D games, platformers, menu driven games, and fighters.

Depends on what feel you're going for. I'd agree if I'm playing Halo. I'd be upset if playing Tekken.

DS3, to me, isn't light at all. The SixAxis is light, even somewhat flimsy. But they serve different purposes. I'd rather play with a SixAxis for all genres save racing, and for that I'd prefer the DS3. For a FPS I just the the PS3 controller isn't well suited, and since that's the primary genre today, I can understand why people don't care for the PS3 controller. If most of what you play is FPS, then you'd probably be better off with a 360 controller..

My biggest issue. I have adult sized hands. Not hands the size of a 12 year old girl, or the typical asian hand size. It's obvious the DS3/SixAxis was geared for smaller hands. Sony's biggest mistake was not increasing the size of the controller based on the age group of their core gamers. Instead of the system growing with users that made the playstation 1 and 2 such huge successes, they decided to stick with a design that has been relatively unchanged for going on 13 years. Again, what fit my hand perfectly at 13 is too damn small and flimsy feeling at 30.

Don't get me wrong, I still use a ps2 controller for all emulators on my PC, but that has more to do with the lack of drivers outside of Games for Windows using the xbox controller.

My biggest issue. I have adult sized hands. Not hands the size of a 12 year old girl, or the typical asian hand size. It's obvious the DS3/SixAxis was geared for smaller hands. Sony's biggest mistake was not increasing the size of the controller based on the age group of their core gamers. Instead of the system growing with users that made the playstation 1 and 2 such huge successes, they decided to stick with a design that has been relatively unchanged for going on 13 years. Again, what fit my hand perfectly at 13 is too damn small and flimsy feeling at 30.

Don't get me wrong, I still use a ps2 controller for all emulators on my PC, but that has more to do with the lack of drivers outside of Games for Windows using the xbox controller.

In Windows 7, just about every application can use the 360 controller natively. There aren't any drivers to install anymore, as the drivers are bundled with Windows. Previous iterations of Windows required driver installs and weren't always usable; Windows 7's support of the 360 controller is better than any other gaming device available.

With that said, I still rather use the PS3 controller. However, you bring up an interesting point.. If any non-FPS shooter, I'd rather use the PS2 controller over a usb converter! That way, I get actual buttons for L2/R2 rather than triggers..

BTW, my hands are pretty big.. I just have a great deal of coordination. :chuckles:

But the two controllers take on the look and feel of the controllers/systems they're designed after. The Playstation, IIRC, was originally a Nintendo product, the not so ill-fated disc-based successor to the Super Nintendo. That's why the PS1 controller has an identical layout to the SNES controller. The Xbox is a continuation of the Dreamcast and a partnership between Sega and Microsoft in both hardware and software. The original Xbox controller was basically the Saturn Knights controller, and the S controller was basically the Dreamcast controller that was slightly modified to span outward into the hand due to Westerner's complaining of how narrow the Dreamcast controller was (it was too narrow).

In essence, this still boils down to the age-old argument: Sega or Nintendo?!?

I've always felt that the PS3 controller was far superior to the Xbox counterpart, and I have relatively large hands. To me, the Xbox controller feels like a weighted slab of plastic with a horrendous dpad while the PS3 controller has the perfect form. During the Halo and Halo2 days I used to play Xbox constantly and got used to it but never felt as comfortable.

I really hope this putting a screen on the controller stuff does not become a trend with all the next gen consoles. Controllers are already expensive enough without a gimmick that provides absolutely nothing to the game that couldn't be provided by a simple on-screen menu. Both Playstation and Xbox already have awesome controllers and there is no reason to change that this time around.

That looks no bueno. The controller is nearly perfect as is. If they were to move the sticks a bit so the thumbs don't hit eachother 1/1000 times it'd literally be perfect. God don't get me started on the xbox controllers. Just garbage.

They really need to change the analog sticks. I'm telling you, I've broke probably 5 or so controllers playing 2k. Most games don't require that much use from the sticks like that like 2k does, but its still a problem. If the surface it hit wasnt so weak and didn't chip, it would be fine.

They really need to change the analog sticks. I'm telling you, I've broke probably 5 or so controllers playing 2k. Most games don't require that much use from the sticks like that like 2k does, but its still a problem. If the surface it hit wasnt so weak and didn't chip, it would be fine.

Their sticks are pretty weak sauce. My freind, who is not very careful with his controllers has three that the stick are broken. I call the one crazy sticks. You can't snipe with it, and if you're playing a racing game, well your cars hitting any wall.

Like you said, it'd be a pretty easy fix. Make the plastic harder. Other than the analog placement, and the breaking (which i've never had a problem with personally) it's a great controller. Nothing beats the good ole mouse and keyboard, but it's a close second.

[video=youtube;uQXN3Azvq9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXN3Azvq9E[/video]

Agreed with whomever complains about the analog sticks. Games like COD that basically force you to hold them in are a good way to kill a controller. I hear there are some gaming joysticks where you can remap the analog stick to a button on the back, but with it so close to the end of the generation there is no way I can justify buying anything else for the 360/PS3. I'm praying my 360 lasts out the summer.

they can fuck off on that proprietary headphone jack port on the new controller, but other than that it looks cool.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."