• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Buyout, Buyout, Who Gets the Buyout?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which players get a buyout?

• Luke Walton

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Daniel Gibson

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Omri Casspi

Votes: 61 53.5%
  • Grant don't do buyouts. Get with the program.

Votes: 37 32.5%

• Total voters

Douglar

Intentionally Grounded
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the time of year when teams offer some players buyouts, either to open a roster spot, save some money, or do right by the player who fell out of rotation.

Maybe one or more of those reasons appeal to the Cavs right now.

I see three buyout candidates:

Luke Walton:
Pro: Cavs could save some money.
Con: Walton only does it if he knows some other team will pick him up. Who would do that?​

Daniel Gibson:
Pro: Cavs put Daniel in a position to compete for a new contract next year instead of hiding him on the bench
Con: He might go to the Heat​

Omri Casspi:
Pro: He's not worth his qualifying offer, so it's not like he'd be restricted next summer
Con: Don't really see a downside here

Last edited:
I'd keep Walton, buyout Gibson and Casspi. I'd like to see Gibson go get a ring somewhere

I'd like to give Gibson the opportunity to find a team where he can play and help a contender. I think that would be a good thing to do for him rather than let him sit on a bench and rot this season.

Walton, I see him as a good influence in the locker room. I could be wrong there but he seems like a been there done that type of guy who can help teach the younger guys. Plus if you buy him out, I don't think he catches on somewhere else so essentially his career is over 30 games too early.

Casspi, if he wants to be bought out, sure go ahead. I don't care either way actually on him.

I'd ship Gibson and Casspi out, for they do nothing beneficial to the team anymore. I would keep Luke Walton because he is the only one on the team that knows how to play team basketball.

It's not just that Gibson could sign with the Heat. He could also sign with the Rockets. Neither outcome would be ideal for the Cavs. Always seems to have the right attitude even if he's not playing. I think the Cavs will keep him around unless he starts wearing Lakers gear to practice.

Letting go of Casspi seems like a good idea for all concerned. I don't think he's going to put any team over the top, and his future is not here. Plus he wouldn't be sacrificing nearly as much money with a buyout as a player like Gibson would be (getting paid nearly double). No reason for the Cavs not to save the money.

I don't think the Heat have any room for Gibson. They need a big, and have plenty of guards/shooters. I guarantee the Heat wouldn't sign him.

They could waive someone and then sign Gibson.

I bet Casspi goes to San Antonio and gets Danny Green syndrome and suddenly becomes a quality rotational player.

Gibson could go to the Heat or wherever but he could also go to the Lakers.

I think Casspi is the most likely. Cavs probably want to keep some vets around with so many young players on the roster and Gibson and Walton are solid citizens who don't cause problems or have issues.
Casspi doesn't have a future here and isn't getting minutes so probably best for all involved to let him move on and get a chance elsewhere.

Casspi only.

And damn Cratylus, I feel I have to scroll through your posts so quick at work otherwise people will think I'm insulating the bottom of my desk.

I bet Casspi goes to San Antonio and gets Danny Green syndrome and suddenly becomes a quality rotational player.

You don't need to dribble to be effective on their team. You do on ours. Big reason Casspi and Boobie are out of the rotation. I think he would look better there.

He could also sign with the Rockets.

Rockets, Jazz, Blazers are all teams I have no interest in any of our potential buyouts helping. Not that it is the same thing... but basketball karma always lets guys like Fisher last season with OKC, come back to haunt their old team once they are discarded.

I could see Boobs going to Houston and playing pretty well (better than Toney Douglas ever did) off either Harden or Lin, and keeping the Lakers out. Also, he would be dangerous in Utah where none of their guards outside of Hayward can shoot and hit the broad side of the barn until Mo Williams comes back. Portland has no need for him.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."