• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Browns Adding to Game Day Experience

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
From ESPN Cleveland:

With Jimmy Haslam III busy cleaning up the mess at Pilot Flying J this offseason, C.E.O. Joe Banner has been the man front and center. While most of the focus has been on the moves he is making to repair a roster that won just five games last season, Banner and his team have also been busy repairing a game day experience that was antiquated, unexciting, and uninspiring.

"My primary goal is getting to know the people here", said Joe Banner the day he was introduced to the media. "I need to understand really quickly what it is about the game day experience that our fans like and don't like. That will then impact next year.”

Enter Kevin Griffin.

The Browns hired the nephew of two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin on May 8th as the new Vice President of Fan Experience and Marketing. The Columbus native has been very busy behind the scenes.

What fans have seen from Griffin so far is a twitter account (@KevinGriffin425) which has been open to dialogue and ideas about to how the team should improve its experience. What fans will see very soon is that Griffin has been listening.

A source inside the Browns’ organization has informed ESPN Cleveland of a laundry list of changes in store for Browns fans. Some are major, some are minor, some are slightly bizarre, but all seem to be an improvement over the status quo.

Here are some of the things that will be changing around First Energy stadium this season.

Fan Night at First Energy Stadium will he held on August 3rd this year and will allow fans to come and watch a Browns inter-squad scrimmage free of charge. This year, Family Night will include a laser show to accompany the fireworks fans are accustomed to seeing. This was previously announced with the training camp schedule.

The team has spent money to clear out BrownsTown, an area of the concourse which contained Heritage Hall, to make room for an inside pregame tailgate experience. The team has also scrapped the failed “Tailgate Terrance” outside the stadium.

Never heard of “Tailgate Terrance”? Don’t worry, not many people have. It was a small, unimaginative tailgate on the south side of the stadium for a few hours before games.

Instead, an improved tailgate will be moved into the former Brownstown area and expanded to include activities and events for all ages.

The move serves two purposes. First, it gets people into the stadium earlier so there will be larger crowds at the opening kickoff.

The second purpose is financial. As the source told me, “Every time a fan eats a hot dog or drinks a beer in the parking lot; it is a dollar the team doesn’t make.”

Griffin has openly said on twitter that the pre and in-game music will be upgraded and brought into the 21st century. He queried the fans for newer, upbeat tunes that will keep the stadium rocking and still be fan friendly. So don’t expect Rolling Stones and The Who quite as often on the lakefront this year.

The most noticeable change will be the player introductions. Last year, the Browns hired the company that conducts the Baltimore Ravens’ intros and added two flame shooting towers mid season.

This year, they will have flames, pyrotechnics, and smoke when the Browns players are introduced. The team also decided it needed a pre-introduction hype video similar to what the Cavs do at Quicken Loans Arena.

The Browns will also discontinue the use of their Backers Clubs to line the mouth of the tunnel.

Some people felt it was time for the Browns to get cheerleaders and those people will be disappointed. As both Jimmy Haslam and Joe Banner have said to the media, there will not be cheerleaders on the Browns’ sidelines.

What there will be, however, is a drum line. The goal of the organization is to make that drum line all female as somewhat of a compromise to those who wanted a skirt wearing spirit squad.

Fans should envision a newer, up-tempo drum line instead of the older, traditional marching band style from what I am told.

Perhaps the strangest of all changes coming to First Energy Stadium this season is also Kevin Griffin’s favorite: Wiener dog races. Griffin worked with the Seattle Seahawks and Sounders and these were a hit with the crowds in the great Northwest.

The source said that Griffin is, “all about this one”.

Here is how it works: One game a year the fastest wiener dogs in the Midwest will put their “speed” to the test. The dogs will line up at the 50 yard line and Chomps (the Browns mascot) will wave a green flag. The dogs will then awkwardly run towards the end zone. First dog to the Dawg pound wins.

It’s a pretty simple premise but the fans in Seattle certainly loved it. Here is a video of the races at a Seahawks game in 2011.

The Browns are also planning a large tribute to Jim Brown during one halftime this season. The details on what this tribute will contain are being kept secret, but since the legend works within the organization again I expect it to be extravagant.

Since Brown did not attend his Ring of Honor ceremony, this tribute will serve as a make good.

Finally, the Browns plan on bringing back the best damn band in the land, The Ohio State Marching Band to perform at a halftime again this season.

---------------------

I like the idea of the Browns adding to their game day experience, but I'm not sure this is the way. In my opnion, they just don't match up to what the Indians and Cavaliers offer fans who come to games.

The Indians have great food options, an extensive team shop, Batter's Eye Bar, Rally Alley, Kids Fun Zone, Heritage Park, the Bob Feller Statue, etc.

The Cavaliers have great food options, an extensive team shop, the Scream Team/Cavs Girls, Kids Fun Zone, the great intro every year, etc.

To this point, the Browns have had...well, I don't know. There's not much unique about First Energy Field or the game day experience. Hopefully, this will begin to change with these moves. I've always wondered why Jim Brown - arguably the greatest football player of all-time - doesn't have a statue in or around the stadium. Maybe that's the way they honor Brown.

The company that does the intros for the Ravens? Pyrotechnico. Same company that does the fireworks for the Indians. Should be fantastic.

Three words...

Weiner

Dog

Races

Three more...

Can't. Effing. Wait.

No more "If you start me up"?

I imagine whoever was in charge of the music before was some burnt out ex hippie that calls into Browns radio talk shows and complains about players today making too much money.

This stuff doesn't matter though. The only reason people still go to games is for the tailgating experience.

Last edited:
Us fans crave winning Browns football. We spend our hard earned money to watch a mediocre team. Many of us have had season to tickets since the 60s. Families come and go, new generations of browns fans are going to their first Browns game this season. It will be a magical experience for them. They have seen the pain of red right 88, the fumble, and the selling of the team. We all have felt the cold win come off the lake. We will have the biggest build up to a Super Bowl ever!

And they give us fucking wiener dog races.

Us fans crave winning Browns football. We spend our hard earned money to watch a mediocre team. Many of us have had season to tickets since the 60s. Families come and go, new generations of browns fans are going to their first Browns game this season. It will be a magical experience for them. They have seen the pain of red right 88, the fumble, and the selling of the team. We all have felt the cold win come off the lake. We will have the biggest build up to a Super Bowl ever!

And they give us fucking wiener dog races.

I think the dog races are silly myself, but at least they're trying. At least they've moved beyond "Come to the games because you love us unconditionally" and are trying to make the overall game day experience better.

A few years back I was at a game against the Ravens sometime in December. It was freezing, the Browns were terrible, and Ray Rice ran a train all day. Sometime in the third quarter a squirrel got on the field around the 20 yard line. He started running towards the Browns endzone on 15 to 20 yard runs at a time. Every time he would start running the crowd would go crazy and every time he would stop the crowd would boo. When he finally finished his 80 yard run and crossed into the endzone the crowd was the loudest it had been all day. That was literally the best thing about that game that day. Im pretty sure we didnt score any touchdowns, and only kicked a few field goals. There couldnt have been more than 15 to 20,000 people in that stadium total.

So damn sad that the squirrel got the biggest cheer. I guess they are trying to duplicate that excitement.

Adding a youtube video:

[video=youtube;NvXPEIbZH8M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvXPEIbZH8M[/video]

We are cheering for a freaking squirrel. This is what this franchise has come too....

And you wonder why we need wiener dog races.

How bout you put a real damn football team on the field and maybe Ill go back to that place.

The game day experience does need a revamp I've been there long before kickoff and let's just say Phil Collins doesn't exactly get you ready to go on the field of battle. We need to catchup to 2013 we're stuck somewhere between 93-95. Wifi because yes there are 42358934 timeouts, it's fun to send pictures or videos, or text friends and family. I went to the Redskins game and it would have been nice to check my fantasy playoffs but you couldn't. They did update the stats leaders on the scoreboard that had 35% of the lights burned out...

We need to improve what we can actually improve with effort as far as stadium atmosphere. I doubt the on field product will look any different than what we've seen since 99 though. I'll believe it when I see it.

The one thing they absolutely need, as I could care less about wifi or hot dog races, is a new scoreboard.

It would be nice to see replays without looking at a screen that you can barely see who the home team is. A bigger HD screen would be extremely welcomed.

For people that play fantasy football and want stats for wifi, what is it going to change? People, can you put your damn phone down for ten minutes? We are glued to that damn thing. Dont you want to escape for the three hours you are at a game? You can't upload pics after the game or check your fantasy stats when you get home?

I dont understand why we are so attached to our phones and social media...

Was definitely going in on the bigger screen. Does not have to be Dallas Cowboy big, but a bit bigger wouldn't be bad. When I want to watch a replay, I hate having to turn around to view the screen behind me.

I think the drumline idea is stupid. Just going to be another reason someone will get kicked out because wasted fans will yell at em, "Why don't you let me drum your vag like that after the game?" with a dad and his 7 year old kid next to him.

Wiener dog races, alright, comical.

The inside tailgate idea is alright for families. The true fans will still go to Muni all day every day. But I get it for the parents who want to get their kid in there and have something for them to do, rather than sit in a chair for 4 hours with thousands of drunk people.

Will be nice for newer music and the pre-game video/pyro. Just anotehr reason to get more pumped.

Go Brownies.

The Browns are just holding out for a 3D scoreboard.

all of these things I didn't read sound awesome, but as long as there is no cell phone signal/wifi available at the games, I'm not really into going. it's a painful 3 hours of not being able to casually browse your fantasy team. I don't even like the Browns, but end up going to a game a year or so since tickets are readily available.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QgMfcvQpKYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fpF2tZsj6lM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SCxA3Z_G4OQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XKzkIlOe8mw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here's a video of a cute fox making noises:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7mtjiOwertA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."