• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Dark Souls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I'm looking for a new game, someone wanna give me a quick overview of what it's about? Do I need to have played the last one?

I'm looking for a new game, someone wanna give me a quick overview of what it's about? Do I need to have played the last one?

There is no last one. Demon's Souls is a separate IP (though this is considered a spiritual successor).

Well, it's an RPG, very heavy on combat, very difficult. Precise controls, unforgiving environments and enemies, and long --50+ hours. There are no real quests, but you do have an overall mission about which you learn as the game progresses. Incredible variety of character builds because there really aren't any "best" weapons or armor. It all depends on the style you want to play. Heavy armor protects you more but makes dodging much more difficult. Heavy weapons do more damage but weigh more, swing more slowly, and leave you more open to counters. Weapons all have different movesets as well, and that's not even mentioning magic if you choose to invest points in that. Endless variety, really.

And it really doesn't matter what class you start out as because you earn plenty of character points along the way to customize your guy. Co-op is limited to "summoning" other players who can temporarily join in your world to help with bosses, or "invading", where you can invade some other poor schlub and kill him.

Great game that looks great as well, but you have to be the type who returns to a game after rage quitting, because you will die a lot.

This game's difficulty is absolutely unforgiving, much like its predecessor. Every time you rest or save at a fire, every enemy respawns. Kill or be seen by one enemy in an area, and all of them will attack you.

Definitely not a game for the faint of heart or the casual gamer. Half of the time you spend on this game will be playing through areas you almost made it through, only to be killed right at the end.

From a visual and environmental standpoint, the game is top notch. The difficulty will turn a lot of people off, but if you can fight through it, it's a rewarding experience.

Also don't let the difficulty scare you off...once you learn the ins and outs of the game, honestly it's pretty easy, except for some boss fights. If you find the game getting too hard, upgrade weapons and try again. There's really only one boss fight that is HARD hard, in that it is tough to figure out patterns and you feel like you are running for your life the whole time and it might take you ten tries. But on all the boss fights you can always summon help so yeah.

Rarely are there cheap deaths, pretty much if you die it is your own fault, either by playing recklessly/not enough patience or going into an area that you aren't leveled enough for (or don't have good enough weapons for).

Especially if you follow a weapons guide and seek out the necessary tools to upgrade your weapons (and your stats correspond to your weapons of choice), it makes the game a lot easier.

You can beat the game with a broken sword that does 2HP of damage each hit, because the enemy patterns can be figured out, you just have to have the patience to not make mistakes.

Also don't let the difficulty scare you off...once you learn the ins and outs of the game, honestly it's pretty easy, except for some boss fights. If you find the game getting too hard, upgrade weapons and try again. There's really only one boss fight that is HARD hard, in that it is tough to figure out patterns and you feel like you are running for your life the whole time and it might take you ten tries. But on all the boss fights you can always summon help so yeah.

I agree about it getting easier once you improve at fighting and learn the game, but damn, "it might take you ten tries?" There were quite a few bosses it took me a lot more than that the first time through, especially without friendly summons. And I'm not even going to try guessing how many times it took me to beat Kalameet with a soul level 1 character....

Rarely are there cheap deaths, pretty much if you die it is your own fault, either by playing recklessly/not enough patience or going into an area that you aren't leveled enough for (or don't have good enough weapons for).

Yeah, no matter how good you are, if you get sloppy, even the weakest of enemies can kill you if you let them gang up on you. You learn how to bait and fight them one at a time, or leave yourself an out, etc..

Especially if you follow a weapons guide and seek out the necessary tools to upgrade your weapons (and your stats correspond to your weapons of choice), it makes the game a lot easier.

Definitiely do that.

I actually have yet to play the expansion, I should get on that.

I think the only boss that gave me trouble (like ten plus attempts) was O+S and the end game boss...O+S is kind of a clusterfuck and its really hard to stick to a strategy. End game boss was just a matter of getting your timing right, then getting your timing right enough times in a row to defeat him.

Even the first time I played through the game I was pretty anal about upgrading weapons, and I had played Demons Souls too, so that had something to do with it.

I actually have yet to play the expansion, I should get on that.

I think the only boss that gave me trouble (like ten plus attempts) was O+S and the end game boss...O+S is kind of a clusterfuck and its really hard to stick to a strategy. End game boss was just a matter of getting your timing right, then getting your timing right enough times in a row to defeat him.

Even the first time I played through the game I was pretty anal about upgrading weapons, and I had played Demons Souls too, so that had something to do with it.

The bosses in the expansion are tough. One is like fighting Gwyn himself, but with attacks you can't parry. One is just about impossible to beat without a shield, and then there's the stinkin' dragon. Even the first sub-boss is hard.

Honestly thought the game wasn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

Honestly thought the game wasn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

Hey, if you managed to beat it without co-opting, and thought the bosses weren't that tough, I tip my Snickering Top Hat in your direction. My ass got kicked more times than I can count.

Ran into a guy recently who was wearing Smough's armor, with the Xanthous helm, and dual wielding Smough's Hammers. Looked like a fat elephant out there waving those damn things. I'm not sure how effective it was, but it was hilarious.

Playing Demons Souls previously makes the game a lot easier, as well as following a weapons guide and knowing how to build characters/stats.

Someone please link to that hilarious trolling video on YouTube where the guy invades without armor except for a stupid hat and does hilarious things hilariously.

Last edited:
Totally thought the sequel was on next gen. Found out otherwise tonight. Big time fail. Have to set up the 360 again. ..

I picked it up but haven't played yet. It's next after Kingdoms of Amalur.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."