• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2013 Mike Miller Thriller - Amnestied, No Bids, Cleared Waivers

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do you want Mike Miller on the Cavs?

• Yes

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 41 47.7%
  • Do not care one way or the other

Votes: 26 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stark

The Winds of Winter
Reaction score
There goes their postseason savior. :chuckles:

The Miami Heat waived veteran guard Mike Miller via the amnesty provision ahead of Tuesday's deadline.

Miller's agents already have begun reaching out to other teams who may have interest in Miller, according to sources.

The move will save the Heat nearly $17 million in luxury taxes this season and reduce their expected tax bill, projected to be $33 million, by half. The Heat still owe Miller $12.8 million over the next two seasons as part of a contract he signed in 2010.

"I understand the business side of basketball," Miller told The Associated Press. "It's a combination of being very, very thankful for the opportunity that I've had, but it hurts that we had a chance to do something very, very special and I'd love to have been a part of it."

The decision reveals a bit of a split in the Heat front office. Team president Pat Riley said several times since the end of the Finals that he didn't want to use the amnesty on Miller and he wanted to bring the back-to-back champions back intact for another run next season.

"After many discussions internally and a sincere effort to explore the trade market, we made a very difficult decision to use our Amnesty provision on Mike Miller," Riley said. "Mike had an incredible impact on the Miami Heat; helping us to three finals appearances and winning back-to-back World Championships. This was a very difficult decision for me personally, the Arison family, Erik and the entire Miami Heat organization. Mike was one of the best we have ever had here, and will be sorely missed. We wish Mike, his wife Jennifer and their family nothing but the best."

Riley went so far as to say "we're not using the amnesty" in a conference call with reporters last week.

"I want to try to keep this team intact as long as we can because we have a championship basketball team here," Riley said. "I would hate to break any part of it up, that is productive and leads to winning."

Riley said the choice on Miller, though, ultimately would be an ownership decision. It appears principal owner Micky Arison and his son, team CEO and part owner Nick Arison, decided to overrule Riley with the huge tax bill the facing the Heat. For the 2012-13 season, the Heat paid $13.3 million in luxury tax, the most Arison ever has paid and more than twice what he paid when the Heat won the title in 2012.

It is possible the Heat released Miller to set up another deal. They still have their $3.2 million mid-level exception and are one of the teams interested in free agent center Greg Oden.

Miller, who has been a playoff hero for the Heat during their past two championship runs, has battled numerous injuries. He had four surgeries after signing with the Heat to his thumbs, shoulder and to repair a sports hernia. Miller also has had back problems. He averaged 46 games played over the past three regular seasons.

But 2012-13 was his healthiest year. He played in 59 games but averaged career lows in points (4.8) and minutes (15.3). He played in all seven games in the Finals, starting the last four games, averaging 5.3 points and shooting a remarkable 61 percent on 3-pointers.

Re: Heat Waive Mike Miller

Miami just really shot themselves in the foot on this. I thought they were being smart by giving themselves a way to get out of Wade's contract next year. If they needed to sweeten the offer to get Lebron back, They still had their amnesty as an option.

I really think this could come back to bite them cause Wade isn't going to opt out and give anyone a look at what's left of his knees

Mike Miller would actually be a solid signing here. This team as constructed is in definite need of a sniper. I wonder would he even consider us

I have to be honest here. Getting amnestied would be pretty sweet. You still get paid by the team that owes you and you get to seek out employment from a new suitor and get paid even more. Or you can simply retire and get paid for doing nothing.

I have to be honest here. Getting amnestied would be pretty sweet. You still get paid by the team that owes you and you get to seek out employment from a new suitor and get paid even more. Or you can simply retire and get paid for doing nothing.

Well if you get claimed trhough the amnesty wire, the two teams agree to a split. So you will still get your contract.

if you go unclaimed, you will get a new contract, but odds are if you were worth a damn someone would place a bid.

Just think Gilbert Arenas got paid $22 million to sit at home the last two seasons, and this upcoming season.....must be nice.

Miami just really shot themselves in the foot on this. I thought they were being smart by giving themselves a way to get out of Wade's contract next year. If they needed to sweeten the offer to get Lebron back, They still had their amnesty as an option.

I really think this could come back to bite them cause Wade isn't going to opt out and give anyone a look at what's left of his knees

Yes because Miami is really going to amnesty their best player in team history (who is still an elite sg) to try to keep Lebron
comeon.png

He was awesome for those few clutch three pointers, but i think it would be crazy to spend 17 million on someone as fragile as MM. Heat still have JJ who is just as clutch as MM

This leaves the Heat with five players under player options/ETO in 2014 (big three, Udonis Haslem and Joel Anthony). If all those guys opt in, that leaves them with just under $70M in salary, which will presumably put them right at the tax level. It's going to be very tough for them to keep this core going for much longer.

I was in Miami at a cafe a few weeks ago on vacation. Looked over and realized Mike Miller was sitting a few tables over. He was with several older guys who looked like they were pitching him to be the spokesman for some energy drink. Just thought I'd share the story. I took a creeper pic if anyone is really that interested.

Yes because Miami is really going to amnesty their best player in team history (who is still an elite sg) to try to keep Lebron
comeon.png

LeBron is their best player in team history.

if you are claimed on amnesty waiver, the bid is subtracted from what your old team owes you and you lose both if you don't report to that team.

With the new CBA, you are only allowed to have 3 punchable faces per team.

Wade
Battier
And they re-signed Birdophile...

So Miller had to go.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."