• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Farewell to Jarrett Jack

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Jackson

Editor
Reaction score
Andrew Bynum and Anthony Bennett stole all the headlines when it came to off season acquisitions by the Cavs. However, Jarret Jack was easily my favorite move this summer for the wine and gold. A common theme with last years squad was the lack of consistent guard play off the bench. Byron Scott somehow gave Donald Sloan 20 games last year before cutting him. Shaun Livingston was impressive in his time in Cleveland, but the Cavs couldn’t hold onto him. Boobie Gibson has not been productive since game 6 against Detroit in the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals. By the way, I can’t believe I bought one of those “Shoot Boobie, Shoot! “shirts.

Jack gives the Cavs a reliable, veteran presence at both guard positions off the bench. Although he should see the majority of his minutes at point guard backing up Kyrie, I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays some shooting guard in the 4th quarter. He is a career 45% shooter and 36% from behind the arc, but his performance in the playoffs last year got me really excited.

Read the full story here and you follow our newest writer @RCFJLockwood

Re: Quiet, but deadly offseason move by Cavs — Jarrett Jack

I really dig your articles, pretty good reads for the slowest part of the basketball year. Thanks!

Edit- i vote for 2 J's as a nickname.. id love yelling it after he drains a big shot

I really dig your articles, pretty good reads for the slowest part of the basketball year. Thanks!

Edit- i vote for 2 J's as a nickname.. id love yelling it after he drains a big shot
You gotta say it like 2 chainz though

TWO JAYYYYSSS

OK, I can't help myself. I thought the expression was "Silent but deadly".

31ucx3.png

I'm just gonna keep calling him "Jack off"

regardless of if it's a good play or not.

Thank you sir! This post actually came from Josh, one of our newest writers. This was his first post! I've written the other articles you've seen come up this week.

My vision for the site is that I contribute more of a "Cavs Grantland" type stories where Josh posts actual breakdowns. Hopefully others like the content as well!

OK, I can't help myself. I thought the expression was "Silent but deadly".

31ucx3.png

Hahahahaha. I think Josh intentionally went with "Quiet, but deadly" to avoid the connection

Jack seems to have everyone's consensus as a great move.

When I talk to all my friends, they scrutinize Bennett, Bynum, and Clark, but one thing we all agree on, is that Jack was a great signing.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

How is Jack as a defender? When he played with Curry, who guarded the 2s?

How is Jack as a defender? When he played with Curry, who guarded the 2s?

Jack is physical on defense, but makes mental errors. In Golden State, Thompson would defend the best offensive opponent while Curry defended the weakest in the back court to stay out of foul trouble. Jack would draw the assignment in the middle, often defending guys much bigger and stronger. I did see him blow some assignments regularly, follow the wrong man off the pick and roll. He is so good on the offensive side and so good at working with young players that its easy to look past the mental errors on defense.

i tweeted to him a few times last night saying "#2Jz" but he never responded :(

its gonna happen regardless

[video=youtube_share;XFkzRNyygfk]http://youtu.be/XFkzRNyygfk[/video]

On Media Day, Jarrett Jack first mentioned that a suitable nickname for him might be "2 Jz" (a reference to rapper "2 Chainz" and, of course, Jack's initials). Not too long ago, he confirmed the endorsement of the nickname. This morning after shootaround at the Warriors practice facility, Jack told me whether it had anything to do with his uniform number 2. He also reacted to a nickname Twitter came up with for his lean-back jumper, and his thoughts on his chances for the Sixth Man Award.
PMC: Is there any correlation between your nickname "2 Jz" and the number 2 on the back of your jersey?
2 Jz: Not really. No. 2 is my little brother Justin's. He wore number two all his life. When I got traded to New Orleans, #1 and #3 had already been taken, so I said, Hey why not wear number two, represent my little brother?
PMC: Favorite 2 Chainz song?
2 Jz: Ooh, that's a tough one. That's my guy. I live in Atlanta. I've been knowing Tauheed (Epps) -- that's his real name -- super, super long. Favorite 2 Chainz song? Hmmm... The one with him and Lil Wayne. He performed it at the VMAs. I forget what it's called, it's a dope, dope record. [Note: The song is "Yuck".]
PMC: Your twitter handle has the number 3 (@JarrettJack03). "3" is from your previous number?
2 Jz: Yeah, I wore 3 pretty much all my life, wore it in college at Georgia Tech. Stephon Marbury is (sic) my favorite player, so that's the inspiration behind that.
PMC: There are some nicknames out there for your jumpshot. There's The Yawn and then there's the Barca Lounger.
2 Jz: The what?!!!
PMC: THE YAWN! And the barcalounger, because you lean back.
2 Jz: (laughs)
PMC: What are your thoughts on those?
2 Jz: I mean, I guess I gotta go with them. The thing with nicknames is you don't really pick them, they kinda pick you, so if that's what it is, then I'm rolling with it.
PMC: Alright, and then sort of a serious question is do you prefer starting or coming off the bench? [Note: I hate asking these vanilla media questions but at this point the elapsed time had only been one minute thirty seconds; will try to avoid in future minis!]
2 Jz: It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, I just try to contribute in a positive way to my team. That's not a politically correct answer or whatever, it's just the honest truth.
PMC: Thoughts on Sixth Man Award?
2 Jz: It's great to be mentioned, but you know I'm always about trying to get to the playoffs. That's one of the most incredible feelings I've felt as a professional and I just wanna feel it again. [Note: In 2011 the New Orleans Hornets, with Jack on the team, made the playoffs.]

http://www.chatsports.com/golden-st...z-2-Chainz-Stephon-Marbury-and-more-2-7335229

Last edited:

Huh. Cool interview!

...suck it, Biw /s

Jack is physical on defense, but makes mental errors. In Golden State, Thompson would defend the best offensive opponent while Curry defended the weakest in the back court to stay out of foul trouble. Jack would draw the assignment in the middle, often defending guys much bigger and stronger. I did see him blow some assignments regularly, follow the wrong man off the pick and roll. He is so good on the offensive side and so good at working with young players that its easy to look past the mental errors on defense.

Pretty much. I would compare his off the ball defense to Waiters'.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."