• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Farewell to Jarrett Jack

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Re: Quiet, but deadly offseason move by Cavs — Jarrett Jack

Jack has some warts on the defensive end, that is why he has played for so many teams and the Warriors let him walk in favor of Iggy for twice the price. That said, he is an asset on the offensive end and will speed up development of young players on that end. Its what he does, and always has. Bet he ends up a damn good assistant coach when he retires.

Jack has some warts on the defensive end, that is why he has played for so many teams and the Warriors let him walk in favor of Iggy for twice the price. That said, he is an asset on the offensive end and will speed up development of young players on that end. Its what he does, and always has. Bet he ends up a damn good assistant coach when he retires.

as long as he doesnt coach off the ball switches :werd:

With having mostly offensive players for our best players in Kyrie, Dion, Bennett, Bynum, Jack, Karasev, etc. combined with us picking up Igor for our offensive coach, we're going to be REALLY fun to watch because our offense will probably look pretty damn good. Also, Mike Brown is probably going to be so stressed with teaching a mostly 25-and-under team defense that he will be growing his hair out just so he can rip it out. :chuckles:

With having mostly offensive players for our best players in Kyrie, Dion, Bennett, Bynum, Jack, Karasev, etc. combined with us picking up Igor for our offensive coach, we're going to be REALLY fun to watch because our offense will probably look pretty damn good. Also, Mike Brown is probably going to be so stressed with teaching a mostly 25-and-under team defense that he will be growing his hair out just so he can rip it out. :chuckles:

I dont think Mike Brown will be stressed at all. In fact I think he will be coming in with a chip on his shoulder after the lakers hired him to coach the team with no freedom to incoporate any of the philosphies that got him hired.

Brown will be happy to get a chance to teach a full crew who will buy into his system and see it pay dividends.

Defnesively youll see Waiters and Irving attacking the ball as early as possible forcing a half court game thats a mixture man to man with a disguised zone. The defense itself has a natural feel to players once learned as evidenced with the struggle former brown plaeyers had adjusting to a more traditional style defense.

Jack is an excellent on the ball defender. He will work well within Browns System and I doubt you see him frequently lost off the ball as the rotations have a natural team read to it that creates less confusion.

Brown will for the first time have the full green light to implement his philosophies on the court.

Of course there will be some growing pains but a healthy Anderson Varejao, along with veterans like Jarret Jack,CJ Miles and to some extent Bynum will help smooth those out. Also Irving and Thompson will be entering their third years. typically the amount of time it takes for young players to come into their own in regard to team defense.

I think miles could actually perform well under mikes coaching, he will get a green light as long as he plays defense. I could see him spotting the 2/3 off the bench early in the season

I think miles could actually perform well under mikes coaching, he will get a green light as long as he plays defense. I could see him spotting the 2/3 off the bench early in the season

Miles will really benefit from getting more time at the two. Also with Brown wanting to get off the Irving/Waiters Iso more ball movement will se miles getting more open shots when he is on the floor.

I think the big loser on the roster with all these changes of the guys who stayed will be Alonzo Gee.

Miles will really benefit from getting more time at the two. Also with Brown wanting to get off the Irving/Waiters Iso more ball movement will se miles getting more open shots when he is on the floor.

I think the big loser on the roster with all these changes of the guys who stayed will be Alonzo Gee.

Alonzo is our defender though, so i think until we see others really improve on D (miles, karasev, jack) youll see Gee play a lot in the beginning of the season

Alonzo is our defender though, so i think until we see others really improve on D (miles, karasev, jack) youll see Gee play a lot in the beginning of the season

Alonzo Gee was Scotts tank defender. One who frequently left his man and borked rotations. He is a severe detrimment on the court and the defense was 6 points better when he was off the court. 6 POINTS. no other starter had that big of a on/off discrepancy except for Dion waiters at 4.6 who was a Rookie.

Ball movement improved as well as effective fg allowed when he was off the court. I dont even want to go into his efficiency matchups 9-54 with 11 draws or the countless plays showing gee messing up. I used to be rather high on Gee but i was extremely disappointed in his play last season

Alonzo Gee was Scotts tank defender. One who frequently left his man and borked rotations. He is a severe detrimment on the court and the defense was 6 points better when he was off the court. 6 POINTS

It a lot of ways, Gee was to Scott what Ira Newble was to Silas. Gee was used as an old school, man to man defensive wing "stopper" who couldn't pass, shoot, or handle well enough to avoid seriously damaging the offense. It didn't work for Silas in 2004 and it certainly didn't work for Scott in 2012. I'm not sure I'd blame Gee for messing up rotations though. The team defense was completely lacking last season, and it looked like Gee's role frequently was to move to defend the point of attack. Hard to say what was going on other than it just didn't work.

The additions of Jack, Clark, Bennet, and Karasev along with the coaching change should take Gee completely out of the rotation this year. I don't think Mike Brown is going to make a defense that uses a player in the way that Scott used Gee and there's too many half fitting parts out there with more talent this season for us to see Gee get more than 800 minutes. After all, after Mike Brown joined the team, he even played Sasha Pavlovic over Ira Newble.

I thought this was an interesting observation. It's probably not Cavs party line, but it might very well be the truth.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland...raining-camp-1.432757?localLinksEnabled=false

[Jack] allows Brown to play Waiters exclusively at the 2.

And perhaps most importantly, Jack’s presence will keep Irving from pouting as much as he did last season. Jack has the attitude and pedigree to grab Irving by the throat (figuratively, of course) if he starts sulking again as he did last season. There was no one in that locker room last year capable of standing up to Irving. Now there is.

Jack played an instrumental role in the Golden State Warriors’ turnaround and march to the Western Conference semifinals. While the second round of the playoffs is a longshot, he is expected to fill the same role here.

I thought this was an interesting observation. It's probably not Cavs party line, but it might very well be the truth.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland...raining-camp-1.432757?localLinksEnabled=false

Ill agree this was Browns initial intent but at some point Brown realized what a skilled unselfish distributor that Waiters is.

Brown will want just like Scott did for Waiters to learn his role as the off guard. I dont think that will take Waiters much longer. By January or February if not sooner we will see Irving and Waiters feeding each other the ball.

I also think we will see a few turnovers since brown intends to have waiters pass the ball up from the opposite court.

ultimately this will pay off in the transition game

I somewhat disagree, torn.

While both Irving and Waiters have diverse talent with the ball in their hands, neither played well off the ball. What I saw as a result was two guards playing one on one ball, never maximizing what they could do collectively. The second line with Livingston and Walton occasionally found a much better offensive rhythm because they learned how to run an offense. Too bad Walton couldn't defend and neither could shoot.

With Jack, his whole game is setting up whomever moves without the ball. When he is in, both guards are going to figure out off the ball offense, or someone else will get great position to score.

I somewhat disagree, torn.

While both Irving and Waiters have diverse talent with the ball in their hands, neither played well off the ball. What I saw as a result was two guards playing one on one ball, never maximizing what they could do collectively. The second line with Livingston and Walton occasionally found a much better offensive rhythm because they learned how to run an offense. Too bad Walton couldn't defend and neither could shoot.

With Jack, his whole game is setting up whomever moves without the ball. When he is in, both guards are going to figure out off the ball offense, or someone else will get great position to score.

The advantage of having Jack on the roster is you can match him up and let Irving play off the ball. I dont think it will take long for Irving to adapt to the role. at the same time you can allow waiters to also focus playing off the ball instead of playing point when irving sits.

Once both Irving and waiters get use to playing without the ball then that will pay off when they share the court together. both Irving and Waiters will know what to do when the other has the ball.

The advantage of having Jack on the roster is you can match him up and let Irving play off the ball. I dont think it will take long for Irving to adapt to the role. at the same time you can allow waiters to also focus playing off the ball instead of playing point when irving sits.

Once both Irving and waiters get use to playing without the ball then that will pay off when they share the court together. both Irving and Waiters will know what to do when the other has the ball.

I don't think it will take long for Irving to learn how to play off the ball either. He's already a good off-the-ball player if he puts his mind to it. Whatever off-the-ball learning Irving still has to do, his basketball IQ is too high to not pick it up quickly. Waiters, on the other hand, MIGHT have trouble, but I don't see it either. I have confidence in Brown's ability to guide Dion to being a good off-the-ball player. Jarrett Jack will also be able to help with that as well since Jack will be playing off the ball a lot more when Irving is on the floor. That will allow Dion to see how he needs to play the 2.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."