• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs To Retire #11 on March 8th, 2014

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
say what you want about Lebron...yes he is a prick and screwed us over pretty good...but I still get chills when I see the video of Z and Lebron hugging each other after we the made the finals...that was an awesome moment

I don't think he deserves to have it retired. They should only retire the numbers of legends. He made the all-star game twice, and barely played in the one game because he didn't belong in it. I bet if he didn't have any foot surgeries, he wouldn't be getting his number retired. 13 ppg and 7 rpg average. I'm fully expecting Varejao to have his his number retired now.

Accolades aren't the only thing teams look for in retiring jerseys, sometimes it's what the individual meant to the organization/city.

He went above & beyond to keep coming back and doing whatever he could to repay the organization for putting so much faith & $ in him. He could've easily just taken the $ and ran after the first couple surgeries, but he battled and played through constant pain in order to give back.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want Mike Brown to be given any responsibilities whatsoever related to making things go right on this big night for Z.

:dunno:

Congrats to Z.
Can we now retire World B. Free and player/coach Lenny Wilkens?
Both had a big impact on the history of this franchise.

I'm fully expecting Varejao to have his his number retired now.

Varejao deserves to have his number retired. Not for any specific accolade of his, or our team..... but because he plays the game the way everybody ought to. He's THE epitome of intensity on the basketball court. Varejao is a warrior, I'm not telling my kids to play like LeBron.... I'm making them study tape of Varejao..... But hey that's just me.

They should retire Gibson's jersey...for one night and then take it down :chuckles:

I don't think he deserves to have it retired. They should only retire the numbers of legends. He made the all-star game twice, and barely played in the one game because he didn't belong in it. I bet if he didn't have any foot surgeries, he wouldn't be getting his number retired. 13 ppg and 7 rpg average. I'm fully expecting Varejao to have his his number retired now.

In cavs history, Z is #1 all time in games played, #1 all time in total rebounds, #1 all time in blocked shots, #2 all time in minutes played, #4 all time in points scored. Of course he deserves to have his number retired.

I don't think he deserves to have it retired. They should only retire the numbers of legends.

What if the franchise in question doesn't have any legends?

Well, they've had one but last I checked he's a bit "on the outs" with the organization.

What if the franchise in question doesn't have any legends?

Well, they've had one but last I checked he's a bit "on the outs" with the organization.

Is the relationship with Vince Carter and Toronto really that bad?

People outside of Cleveland have to be laughing at this. Just because he played the longest in the Cavs uniform, he is by default the leader in several categories. It's not like he was some transcendent player. Cavs couldn't crack 30 wins with him playing before Lebron got here. Take off the homer glasses. Standards to get in the Cavs rafters are incredibly low.

People outside of Cleveland have to be laughing at this. Just because he played the longest in the Cavs uniform, he is by default the leader in several categories. It's not like he was some transcendent player. Cavs couldn't crack 30 wins with him playing before Lebron got here. Take off the homer glasses. Standards to get in the Cavs rafters are incredibly low.

Who cares what outsiders think? This isn't their honor to give.

Honoring a player by retiring their number is about far more than the stats they put up.

Last edited:

He was an all-star before LeBron got here, and an all-star shortly after. Come on, he was a great player. If it were just about numbers anyway, I don't think we would care that much. Z battled through tough losing seasons and tough injuries. He loves Cleveland. He deserves this.

Why are you choosing to ignore that having your jersey retired isn't just about stats, it's not just about accolades?

You're choosing to completely avoid what a lot of people here are saying, that having your jersey retired is about what you've meant to the organization, what you've meant to the city, and what you've meant to the fans.

Like it or not, Z was a huge, integral part of this franchise. Through his playing career, and as a special assistant to Chris Grant, this is his 17th year with the organization, which is almost 40% of its existence.

Who cares how many points, rebounds, or blocks he averaged per season? Fact is he's near the top in every major category in franchise history. And this works both ways. He's near the top in a lot of categories partly because of how many seasons he played. However, he'd also be further up and/or further ahead in categories had he not suffered through injuries

Besides, doesn't longevity say something about the player's talent level?

Last edited:

Everyone I work with or hang out with where I currently live who follows NBA basketball knows that I'm from Cleveland and knows I'm a Cavs fan, and all they have said since this news broke and they found out about it is that he deserves it. Do they count as those people outside of Cleveland?

Zydrunas Ilgauskas' No. 11 to be retired on March 8 against New York Knicks: Cleveland Cavaliers Insider

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Cavaliers heaped praise on long-time center Zydrunas Ilgauskas after announcing that the team would retire his No. 11 jersey on March 8 at The Q.

Most of the details have yet to be worked out, and tickets won't go on sale for games in the second half of the season, including that one, until Dec. 7, but the Cavs were thrilled to talk about the big Lithuanian on Monday.

"You couldn’t ask for a better person for that to happen to,'' coach Mike Brown said before the exhibition game against Philadelphia at Value City Arena. "Talk about being a great person and great player, what he meant to the Cavs’ organization, Northeast Ohio, the city of Cleveland and the state of Ohio, what he meant to myself and my career.

"I could go on and on talking about him and his beautiful wife, Jennifer, and their two kids. I'm very, very excited for a a great, great person and family. He was a cornerstone of the organization for many years. I’m thrilled to death.''

Said owner Dan Gilbert, “Zydrunas Ilgauskas is not only one of the best basketball players to ever wear a Cleveland Cavaliers uniform, he is also one of the finest human beings that has ever been associated with the franchise.

"Z’s numbers and productivity are clear evidence of his basketball success. What is more impressive about this gentle giant is the authentic concern and interest he displayed for not only his teammates, but for everybody who worked at the Cavaliers and for the loyal fans who supported him throughout and after his playing days. Z carried himself in a manner that positively impacted the fans and community that serves as the gold standard for all professional athletes. I am proud that the big fella’s jersey is being retired and will hang forever in the rafters of The Q.''

Added GM Chris Grant, “Zydrunas represents the very best of how any sports franchise would hope to be represented. He was a hard-working competitor who persevered, was dedicated, inspiring, and was a great teammate. As good as he was on the court, he was just as good off the court and in our community. Everyone that knows Z also knows that he is a kind-hearted, fun-loving and honorable person. He has been a colleague, mentor and friend to many people in the Cavaliers family and we are extremely happy and grateful that he was, is, and always will be a Cleveland Cavalier.

"His jersey hanging in The Q will be a permanent reflection of all that he has meant to the entire organization and Cleveland."

Ilgauskas, currently a special assistant to Grant, was the No. 20 pick in the first round of the 1996 draft and overcame numerous foot injuries to become the all-time franchise leader in games played (771), offensive rebounds (2,336), total rebounds (5,904) and blocks (1,269) while ranking second in points scored (10,616).

"I am happy and humbled by this great honor," Ilgauskas said in a press release issued by the team. "Cleveland and the Cavaliers have been such a huge part of my life and it will be a very special and proud day for me and my family. I want to thank the Cavaliers and fans alike because I have been very fortunate to play here, work here and call Cleveland home."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2013/10/cleveland_cavaliers_to_retire.html

Love what Chris Grant said:

"Zydrunas represents the very best of how any sports franchise would hope to be represented."

Boom.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."