• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs Working On Roster, Albeit Quietly

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The Celtics are, in fact, close to being done. They signed a street free agent and Eddie House today for near the minimum. I actually liked House for quite some time because he shoots so well, but that knee injury robbed him of his quickness last year. The other four spots are likely going to be minimum guys as well, since they have no more cap space.

The Celts HOPE to ink Mutombo. They haven't contacted him yet, because Deke is in Africa. I'd love for the Cavs to talk to him as well... I'd take Mutombo in the Pollard/Dwayne Jones slot. Of course, then we don't have the MLE money next year... which many posters will complain about to no end.

LBJAlltheWay said:
Think about this:
1. How many teams haven't made a move this offseason?
2. We have the MLE and BAE just sitting there.
3. Was there a FA out there that could have done:
a.) Provided off the bench scoring
b.) Provided clutch shots/veteran experience in the playoffs
4. What did he do last offseason?

1. Since you obviously don't pay attention around the league, let's start the list. The nets have done nothing, the bulls signed Joe Smith and drafted Noah, both redundant players who don't add anything they need. Clippers have done nothing. You're projecting that 3/4 of the rookies drafted will be immediate impact players around the league. That couldn't be further from the truth.

2. And who exactly is worth spending money on?

3. Since you said clutch shots/veteran experience, I'm guessing the only guy you wanted is Posey, and he serves no purpose on this team. Much the same way Pietrus wouldn't. They are better suited for running teams, we aren't.

4. Last offseason's FA class wasn't any better. Do you want to be saddled with Marcus Banks' contract?

You have to be one of the most pessimistic posters on here. I just have one question, if Ferry does manage to pull off some big move, how quickly will you be jumping all over his bandwagon?

Randolphkeys said:
The Celtics are, in fact, close to being done. They signed a street free agent and Eddie House today for near the minimum. I actually liked House for quite some time because he shoots so well, but that knee injury robbed him of his quickness last year. The other four spots are likely going to be minimum guys as well, since they have no more cap space.

The Celts HOPE to ink Mutombo. They haven't contacted him yet, because Deke is in Africa. I'd love for the Cavs to talk to him as well... I'd take Mutombo in the Pollard/Dwayne Jones slot. Of course, then we don't have the MLE money next year... which many posters will complain about to no end.

You have the MLE every year. It's the BAE you can only use every other year.

Not really, xsabre. If you have your back against the cap, you really can't be spending the MLE on 3-4 year contracts every season. Ask Philly or Minnesota. They used the MLE so often on bad contracts, they had to move the contracts of the franchise centerpieces and rebuild.

I actually like what Ferry HAS been doing and using it on one year contracts. The players he has signed haven't really worked out, but the philosophy of taking fliers on veterans for a year, letting them mentor the rookies, and then parting after they officially look sucky is a sound strategy. Imagine if we get lucky with a veteran who has a little left in the tank?

MYoung23 said:
Any players in a Pietrus sign and trade is just speculation. That is this case with article.

Gibson was very good in the summer league. He could do what he wanted when he wanted. He wasnt there to score 25ppg.
Wow. Gibson did well in summer league. Exciting news.

I'm pumped for Gib to step up play a more significant role, which he will, but if we're pinning our hopes and dreams on Gibson's summer league success, that's not good enough.

xsabre420 said:
1. Since you obviously don't pay attention around the league, let's start the list. The nets have done nothing, the bulls signed Joe Smith and drafted Noah, both redundant players who don't add anything they need. Clippers have done nothing. You're projecting that 3/4 of the rookies drafted will be immediate impact players around the league. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Where did I ever say that those drafted will be immediate impact players? I never did...

Bulls: Were almost the second seed and they will only improve. Either way, they add depth. Joe Smith: Can make free throws, scores about 10 ppg.

I don't know if you are asleep or not, but Nets:

East Rutherford, NJ – The New Jersey Nets have signed free agent forward/center Jamaal Magloire, Nets President Rod Thorn announced today. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released.

LBJAlltheWay said:
Where did I ever say that those drafted will be immediate impact players? I never did...

I don't know if you are asleep or not, but Nets:

Magliore is a joke, and has been for quite some time.

Randolphkeys said:
Not really, xsabre. If you have your back against the cap, you really can't be spending the MLE on 3-4 year contracts every season. Ask Philly or Minnesota. They used the MLE so often on bad contracts, they had to move the contracts of the franchise centerpieces and rebuild.

I actually like what Ferry HAS been doing and using it on one year contracts. The players he has signed haven't really worked out, but the philosophy of taking fliers on veterans for a year, letting them mentor the rookies, and then parting after they officially look sucky is a sound strategy. Imagine if we get lucky with a veteran who has a little left in the tank?

As far as the cap situation, I agree completely, but it doesn't mean that option doesn't exist.

you wanted is Posey, and he serves no purpose on this team.

He's better then Donyell Marshall and he can actually play Defense. This would be playing small though. I can see your point, but he exceeds Ira Newble by tenfold. I wasn't refering about Posey though in the original post.

LBJAlltheWay said:
He's better then Donyell Marshall and he can actually play Defense. This would be playing small though. I can see your point, but he exceeds Ira Newble by tenfold. I wasn't refering about Posey though in the original post.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like Posey here, but I can't really see any other FAs that would've helped. We didn't have a chance at Hill, Mo Pete wasn't coming here. Other than those 2, I didn't see much out there that would help us in the backcourt.

Stackhouse would have helped, but I don't even think we expressed interest in him or Hill. Neither probably wanted to come here though.

PS: Yankees Vs. White Sox 4th inning 10-8...

Smooth32 said:
Couple things that I found interesting from the article:
Now if the Warriors are looking for some cap relief, we could do something like Ira Newble, David Wesley and a 2nd round pick for Pietrus...

Pietrus is a free agent. If they wanted to not pay him, all they would have to do is tell other teams that they will not match offers. Trading Pietrus for Newble means they have to pay Newble.

However anyone wants to try to explain it, it's kind of bizarre that the Cavs are the only team in the NBA that hasn't made one single move or one single addition to their roster since the end of the season. Not even one small low cost move involving a low level player. It's also strange how the Cavs still haven't filled a hole in the coaching staff by hiring a new assistant coach. It's not like any new candidates are going to become available at this point.

It's sure seems that Ferry is an ultra conservative GM who either only wants to make the perfect move where he gets everything he wants without giving up much (which is impossible to make happen) or is afraid to make any move that might have even the slightest bit of risk to it.

It also is obvious that despite an impression to the contrary that the luxury tax will play a major role in every possible roster move that would add outside talent to the roster.

There has to come a time when all the supposed phone calls lead to an actual move. Ferry has yet to make any type of significant trade as GM. Only small low level moves involving bench or bottom of the roster players. I don't think he's done a bad job as GM but this is a crucial moment for the Cavs franchise and a little more boldness will be needed at times.

I'm not sure if this is the case... But, technically since the season has ended, the Cavs are the only team that has not done anything.. Via draft, FA, Trade.. Regardless of the move, I believe every single team in the NBA has at least made one move of some sorts if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't really call it "working on their roster"

I'd say...Cavs contemplating working on roster, albeit quietly is a lot more accurate.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."