• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Nets are about to have a really long decade...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
What sucks for them is if they don't get in the top 3, their pick goes to Portland anyway. :chuckles:

I shouldn't be so happy, but I really am. It would be sweet justice if they got nothing. However I bet it is traded for Dwight.

I did it again... The Nets are screwed man. They have no cap space, no draft pick, no coach and no wins...

Nice to have a franchise like Nets in this league. When your own team isn't doing well, just remember the Nets and take comfort in the fact it could be worse.

I did it again... The Nets are screwed man. They have no cap space, no draft pick, no coach and no wins...

How can they mess a team up this bad?

2014: no picks at all
2015: altanta has the right to swap first round picks with no lottery protection, they have no second round pick
2016: no picks at all
2017: Boston has the right to swap first round picks with no lottery protection, they have no second round pick
2018: no picks at all

Even if they are in the lottery for 5 straight years they could not get a single lottery pick out of it and only have two non lottery first round picks to build for their future.

If Lopez doesn't opt out in 2015, they won't be able to sign a single player for more than the mini-MLE until 2016 unless they can move one of Joe Johnson, Deron Williams or Brook Lopez. two of them have untradable contracts.

They only have 3 players on their roster younger then 25.
One is a second year 54th overall pick who has a PER of 1.6, so no trade value at all.
One is a second year 41st overall pick who has a PER of 6.5, so no trade value at all.

One is a 23 year old first year 22nd overall pick who has a PER of 15.6. What do they do with him? Trade him to help dump some other contract or build around him with league minimum players. I know boston and atlanta are thrilled with the situation.

Wonder if Brook can be had for simple cap relief and a bit of draft consideration? Could be a nice situation to poach.

Wonder if Brook can be had for simple cap relief and a bit of draft consideration? Could be a nice situation to poach.

I don't think the Cavs are going to be the team that takes a chance on a massive 7-footer coming off a season-ending injury so that he can be in position next year to break the same foot for the 3rd time. They already passed on Noel because of his knee injury and Len because of his ankle stress fracture (that ended up being two stress fractures).

I am not saying it wouldn't be worth the risk for a low price. But the price would have to be quite low.

I dunno if I would say they are "screwed." I think they'll compete right around the same time we do, maybe a year later..

This is Paul Pierce's last year. He will likely retire. Expiring either way..
Kevin Garnett will certainly be traded by next year's deadline.
The rest of their contracts except Johnson and Williams, they're "superstar" core, comes off the books in 2015-2016.

The worst, and it is bad, aspect of the Nets is Joe Johnson's fucking absurd $24M/yr contract.. It's monstrous. I don't think any team in the league would consider touching it, remotely....

But they do have market, and they will have cap-space in 2017.

But it's one of the primary reasons I've been saying for months that the next CBA will be under a hard cap. You could argue that such a cap works against Prokorhov's best asset - his wealth, but these next few years will serve as a lesson that it's very difficult to predict success in the NBA. Money isn't enough to get you a great team, as the Nets and Lakers found out the hard way.

I think both teams will rebuild around the same time - 2016-2017... I don't see the Lakers going into full rebuild mode, btw. I think they let Gasol expire try to re-sign him for peanuts or let him walk in free agency. I think they ultimately sign Carmelo Anthony in the offseason, and try to make something work around him (D'Antoni will be out, surely).

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."