• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Building a Gaming PC

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I know I'm late, but monitors seem to be pretty even. I looked at over a dozen. If it's IPS, you can't go wrong. I really recommend that.

Bumping this thread to post that I'm now typing from a mechanical keyboard. I'll never go back.

Logitech G710+ with Cherry mx brown switches. I'm in love.

I just bought a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and a Death Adder...what a fantastic investment. <3 mech keyboards

I just bought a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and a Death Adder...what a fantastic investment. <3 mech keyboards

Never heard of them before today. Just looked stuff up but it seems like something you have to try to really feel the difference. Does it actually feel different when you are typing/gaming?

Never heard of them before today. Just looked stuff up but it seems like something you have to try to really feel the difference. Does it actually feel different when you are typing/gaming?

If you're my age or older you've used them before. Almost all keyboards made in the 80s were mechanical. All of them.. Remember that "click" and that springy action on the key press? Welp, those are mechanical keyboards... All of them..

The most famous is the IBM Model M (IIRC). I have 2 of them back home in Ohio, and they are original.. Yellow stained like an old SNES... They are great keyboards, but not everyone likes the feel.

Personally, I find them to be a bit too loud for my taste. I like a nice quiet keyboard. The positives are 1) gaming, without question; 2) typing speed; you will certainly type faster once you get used to a mechanical keyboard again.

And there's no reason to get a super expensive keyboard, remember this technology is 60 years old.

Computer desk, battle station, whatever you call it: where did you guys get your desks? Handmade, Amazon, IKEA, Officemax? My cheap Wal-Mart L-desk has seen its last days and the keyboard drawer collapses at the mere sight of me, so I'm in the market for something new. Planning to check Michigan's IKEA out in a few weekends, but if I can find something worthwhile beforehand, I'll jump at it.

Computer desk, battle station, whatever you call it: where did you guys get your desks? Handmade, Amazon, IKEA, Officemax? My cheap Wal-Mart L-desk has seen its last days and the keyboard drawer collapses at the mere sight of me, so I'm in the market for something new. Planning to check Michigan's IKEA out in a few weekends, but if I can find something worthwhile beforehand, I'll jump at it.

I got mine from IKEA. It's quite nice, actually. It's an L-shaped corner desk where one side of the L is a giant cubicle bookshelf and the other side is a huge flat surface for the desk.

I got mine from IKEA. It's quite nice, actually. It's an L-shaped corner desk where one side of the L is a giant cubicle bookshelf and the other side is a huge flat surface for the desk.

Once I get my car out of the shop, that's the plan. I've also read the Galant as a viable option, and with a dual monitor mount to clear up space, I don't think I'd mind a simpler setup.

Once I get my car out of the shop, that's the plan. I've also read the Galant as a viable option, and with a dual monitor mount to clear up space, I don't think I'd mind a simpler setup.

I used to have dual monitors set up and had plenty of room on this desk, and I'm talking two 32" TVs as my monitors. This desk is a fucking monster. It's probably about four feet long by two feet wide for the desk portion. I just like it because it's a huge work space and never feels crowded like a lot of my previous desks have. I have an enormous mouse pad too, like a foot by a foot and a half. I love it.

I used to have dual monitors set up and had plenty of room on this desk, and I'm talking two 32" TVs as my monitors. This desk is a fucking monster. It's probably about four feet long by two feet wide for the desk portion. I just like it because it's a huge work space and never feels crowded like a lot of my previous desks have. I have an enormous mouse pad too, like a foot by a foot and a half. I love it.

The best part, you're 5'2, 115 lbs.

hey guys, building a web browsing, bill paying, microsoft office machine for family. Goal is to be under 300, how does it look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A4-6300 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($22.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $252.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-02 20:31 EDT-0400

the 1TB HDD was like $3 more than a 500GB and the 350GB ones were shit brands, i can spend a couple bucks more if need be, but judging from product reviews thisll be perfect

edit- went ahead and ordered these parts, hopefully they get here before the week is over cuz im itchin for a build

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."