• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Diet and Workout Routines

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I've had umbilical hernia surgery the same time I had my breast surgery. I was back to working out in a week I just wasn't supposed to left anything very heavy, but that was more so about my breasts and not the hernia.

Was yours that big?

Holy crap! 1 week? I'm almost 3 and still having discomfort. If I lift anything above about 25 pounds, it bothers me. It was actually a very small tear, so small that they couldn't insert the mesh without making it bigger. They told me 2 weeks of 15 pounds, 2 more weeks no more than 25 pounds then somewhere between 4-6, I should be good to get back in the gym. They didn't even touch my man breasts!

Dave and DC, how strong is the appetite suppression you guys get from EC stacking? I felt hungry so i threw some chicken breast on my plate and took like 4 bites and was completely turned off by it, now to replace the calories im trying to force down some lettuce and lunch meat wraps..strugglin. I like it a lot since im not hungry, but gotta stay aware of how many calories im taking in, can't be too low.

just ask for it. its 6 bucks a box, which is like 30 pills i think.

id stay away from adderall. awful for keeping muscle and elastic band effect on appetite. it will snap back
lol it was somewhat of a joke. it's great for other purposes but definitely shouldn't be used to drop weight. it's not really "awful" for keeping muscle; just need to put in a bit more effort to eat due to the appetite suppression.

also, probably a longshot but does anyone have experience with old school iron gym in brookpark? my current membership just expired and while it is convenient and open 24hrs, it's also ~$60 more per year and has fairly limited free weights. osi seems to be better, but with fewer hours i'm curious how bad wait times are...

edit: also does anyone know if it's possible to get the post time back up at the top of the post? it's hideous at the bottom

lol it was somewhat of a joke. it's great for other purposes but definitely shouldn't be used to drop weight. it's not really "awful" for keeping muscle; just need to put in a bit more effort to eat due to the appetite suppression.

also, probably a longshot but does anyone have experience with old school iron gym in brookpark? my current membership just expired and while it is convenient and open 24hrs, it's also ~$60 more per year and has fairly limited free weights. osi seems to be better, but with fewer hours i'm curious how bad wait times are...

edit: also does anyone know if it's possible to get the post time back up at the top of the post? it's hideous at the bottom

maybe they'll let you do like a week trial? $60 over a year isnt too much, but if your gym lacks free weights then i wouldnt go there at all

I haven't done it in a while, but on my off days it wouldn' be unusual for me to hardly eat at all the entire day.

Shit is really strong, effective, but not something you want to subject yourself to for a long time.

That said, Dave is definitely more of an authority than me on this stuff....

oh yeah this is gonna be a short term thing for me, its too powerful to be used that much. it can't be that good for you lol

what are your guys' top 3 pump up songs that get you through a work out? Preferably post the youtube links (with decent quality) for easy checking-out

Mine:

New best on my snatch: 85 lbs!!! Three sets of 4 with that, so I have a little bit more before I throw out my back.

I am looking for a 3x5 routine where I would lift 3x/ week. Must be full body, so I am looking at including:

Squats
Push press
Snatch (prob not 3x5, maybe 3x3?)
Pull Ups
Deadlift
Bench press
Rows
Abs

Nicky! Design it! DC - hook it up!

Bonus pts for pull up sets being first bc I will cop out and not do them if they aren't. Other than that, I am open to any suggestions, even not going 3x5, but I like the flavor of what I outlined above.

you dont wanna do pull ups first..that would just make your heavy compound lifts harder

you could do something like

M: Squat, Push Press, Pull ups
W: Deadlift, Bench Press, Abs (real, weighted crunches on the decline ab bench, not a bunch of silly unweighted movements)
F: Squat, Snatch, Rows

then maybe throw in some shameless vanity lifts like curls on friday

you dont wanna do pull ups first..that would just make your heavy compound lifts harder

you could do something like

M: Squat, Push Press, Pull ups
W: Deadlift, Bench Press, Abs (real, weighted crunches on the decline ab bench, not a bunch of silly unweighted movements)
F: Squat, Snatch, Rows

then maybe throw in some shameless vanity lifts like curls on friday
This is beautiful, you beautiful creature.

EDIT: I figure this is a good place to track my stuff before I forget what weights I am at...
Squat: 185? 3 x 5 (9/3). Going to stick at this light weight and really focus on getting a lower bend.
Push Press: just set PR (9/3) with 115. Think I did 8, 8, 6 or something, so there's more to go.
Pull Ups: last time I did these was 6, 6, 5. Form was good, but I am disappointed... (9/5) 3 Sets of 6.
Deadlift: haven't done yet.
Bench: 165 3 x 5 (on 9/3). Focused on keeping the shoulder blades pinched together and the grip strong. I am so damn weak on the bench, but it's a start.
Incline Bench: (9/5): 115lbs 3 x 5. Might have been 135, I don't remember now:(
Abs: (9/5): did them, but nothing worth noting.
Snatch: I think I last did 85 and did 8,8,7... (9/5) Snatched 115 twice. Too heavy, almost broke my back in two. Going to slow my roll, but PR set.
Rows: (9/5) 3 sets of 8 w/ 60 lb dumbells. Too easy.

Last edited:
the problem with going to a university gym is the flood of people that dont know what the hell they are doing once the school year starts.. dudes come in groups of 5, take up every DB bench and start fucking curling. Dudes doing overhead tricep extensions at half their body weight, almost falling backwards. Kids that cant squat 95 pounds doing heavy shrugs. gahhh!!

/rant

first time doing Rippetoe's form suggestions with bench, squat, deadlift

Low bar squatting with eye gaze down is legit as hell, no pressure on your back and all and i could feel all of my leg muscles firing on the hip drive. They key is to stay bent forward so gravity pulls the bar straight into your back on not using your wrists to hold up the weight. That'll take some time to get used to.

Shins are bruised from deadlifting, was hard to keep my gaze down (not as down as the squat but still low), but i like it more having the bar closer to my legs. Was able to rep 315 after skipping 14 days of lifting and being in a deficit, that was nice.

Flat bench is SO much more enjoyable with Rip's form suggestion. Shins perpendicular to the floor, deep breath held in, shoulder blades held back, lower back slightly arched to facilitate the inflated chest and shoulder blades, neck actively balancing out the back arch. It was also useful reading from the book saying "on the negative, just feel for the muscles stretching and get ready to drive off that rebound" that helped me a lot.

Last edited:
My gym is flooded with out if shape freshman.please make it stop

I'm a bit tired to get too deep into programming right now, but I'll hit a couple things:
-Alternate between 5x5 work sets, then the following week increase the weight and do 5x3; following week keep the same weight for 5x5, then increase again for 3x5, then take a de-load week.
-I like to do olympic lifts (snatch, clean & jerk) first, before squatting especially; it really loosens up my hips.
-you should do pullups every time you are in the gym, if you are planning to go 3x week
-wendler 531 might be something to look at. 531 apps are free; you input your maxes and it gives you every weight for every set for the next four weeks
-you have squats on mon and fri; are they both back squats? If so, it might be good to front squat on friday
EDIT-back to snatches....keep the rep schemes LOW, like sets of 1/2-3; doing reps>3 is a quick way to get hurt. You'll realize this when your grip starts to go first, when you start jumping up in weight....

Re: AuxPie and Ripp.....I prefer high-bar back squats; mainly for the carryover for Oly lifting, but also because my shoulders hurt when the bar lays that low. Ripp isn't a huge proponent of oly lifting, thus his preference for LBBS (low bar back squats). Because of the recruitment of more quad/ham/glute muscles, most people can typically LBBS more for a 1RM than HBBS. Plenty of ways to skin a cat tho

Last edited:
ive been high bar squatting forever but it also gives me a lot of difficulty with lower back pain from the weight wanting to creep forward, even at low weights. Im gonna give low bars their fair shot to see what i really prefer

almost any lift feels good after 14 days of no lifting haha also gonna add some sets of pull ups/chin ups on my training days

10470818_352756584880702_6191369779866075847_o.jpg

Plan curtailed by my pregnant wife's schedule. Ran my 5.5 miles and went sans carbs all day. Will try to get squats, push press, and pull ups tomorrow, despite my wife's best efforts to sabotage me.

Anyone else dig the morning exercise session like me? Schedule permitting, I go right from the gym to work. Not coming back home saves me so much time from distracting myself. Then I get to work and am high on life and am exhausted by 10pm.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."