• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Johnny Manziel: Swan Won't Return His Calls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Ok.... was at the game last night... thought Johnny looked pretty bad. He is tiny, doesn't avoid the NFL rush well, can't play in the pocket without sailing throws, and overall made some pretty awful throws. I won't bury him until I see some more action, but last night worried me.

Ok.... was at the game last night... thought Johnny looked pretty bad. He is tiny, doesn't avoid the NFL rush well, can't play in the pocket without sailing throws, and overall made some pretty awful throws. I won't bury him until I see some more action, but last night worried me.

Welcome to the dark side.

Is it safe to say that Johnny is the worst rookie qb so far?

As a Bears fan, I'm gonna say David Fales looked as bad or worse for large chunks of the game last night, So I think he's gonna beat out Johnny for that. I'd need to check the tape again, but I thought he had good moments in between quite large gaps of clearly rookie play.

Edit: nevermind I take it all back. Fales played more like a 3rd-4th rounder the more I watch it. That's a plus considering his actual draft position.

Last edited:
I really like Wilson, but to me, he looks more like a game manager/leader than a great player who can actually win you some games on his own. That works very well if you've got a great team otherwise, but I'm not sure if that approach should be the ultimate goal set for other players. Manziel could certainly learn something about maturity and leadership from Wilson, who is basically a freak in that sense. But I'm not sure if you really want to weed out the desire for greatness.

BTW- I agree with you on Wilson. Put him on a bad team and he will be just another guy. That Seattle situation is so special and perfect for him he can excel. The coaching staff gets the most out of him possible.

I also agree that manziel has learned a bit. I liked him rolling to his right and throwing for the first down instead of putting his head down and charging ahead. That was a good decision and one he didn't make even last week. He also made a point to slide when he ran which is also improvement.

Last edited:
No I don't believe so but of the first 4 QBs selected he's 4th behind Bortles/Carr/Bridgewater in terms of his play during preseason. You can tell he's further away and needs more time than the others. We'll see what happens in the regular season.

Even if he totally maximizes his potential, I don't think you're going to be seeing Johnny throwing darts with perfect footwork all game. He's going to run around more than 95% of other starters in the league. Maybe the most. This is what we signed up for, and it's never going to be or look conventional.

Agree that he's never going to be a conventional QB but he's going to need to do SOME things conventionally if he wants to succeed in the NFL.

Look at Reggie Bush for example. People said he was going to be a weapon that turned the league on its head because of his physical ability and special agility... but in reality, he made his living in college running to the outside around inferior athletes. In the NFL with much better athletes, he washed out in New Orleans as a runner because he couldn't run between the tackles. If you can't do the basic stuff, it doesn't matter if you can do the extraordinary... they can plan for you and shut you down.

Johnny is always going to be a guy who is better outside of the pocket and who is capable of doing special things when he gets to the outside but if he can't make throws inside the pocket (which is something ALL quarterbacks need to do to be successful), he's going to wash out. At least unlike Weeden, he has time to learn.

What I've learned today:

If Hoyer plays about as well as he possibly can, nobody will want to talk about it.

If Johnny looks shaky 2/3rds of the time, some posters will discuss the other 1/3rd of the plays.

We all agree that if Johnny were playing against a defense that doesn't lift weights and smokes half a pack a day, he would be pretty impressive.

Did you notice how sharp Grossman looked? He looked that way because knows this offense so well. Now imagine JFF in about 3 years with his athletic ability. If he stays healthy this kid will be alot of fun to watch.

Did you notice how sharp Grossman looked? He looked that way because knows this offense so well. Now imagine JFF in about 3 years with his athletic ability. If he stays healthy this kid will be alot of fun to watch.

You think it's just about time, which could be true.

But Rex Grossman has stuck around this long because of his football IQ, simply assuming Manziel is going to get to that point is a bit disingenuous.

Reactions: KB
Really? Johnny MAnziels football IQ is a strength. Something he has been prassed for and shown a natural knack for.
Along with an excellent work ethic.

its not disengenuos at all. it was an example of the value if having a high football iq .

Really? Johnny MAnziels football IQ is a strength. Something he has been prassed for and shown a natural knack for.
Along with an excellent work ethic.

its not disengenuos at all. it was an example of the value if having a high football iq .

If JFF had great work ethic... His footwork wouldn't be total shit, his throwing mechanics wouldn't be total shit. If he had great football IQ he would understand his limits and wouldn't under throw his receivers constantly and leave them out to dry.

If JFF had great work ethic... His footwork wouldn't be total shit, his throwing mechanics wouldn't be total shit. If he had great football IQ he would understand his limits and wouldn't under throw his receivers constantly and leave them out to dry.
Inconsitent footwork is a more a measure of comfort. Manziel doesnt have alot of faith in his line and is still adjusting to the speed of the nfl defenses. The errant throws are a sign of his inconsitency. the two are related not seperate issues.

now matter how comfotbale or familiar Manziel gets with the plays live game reps is how this consistency is developed.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."