• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2014 Free Agency Period: News and Discussion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
If we decide to bring dion off the bench I think Ellington is the man to start at the 2/QUOTE].

The decide part made it seem as though the 2guard spot was not and earned position as if Blatt would just gift it. I hope his own words ring true about players earning their position in training camp opposed to NBA 2k whim type of thing.

The decide part made it seem as though the 2guard spot was not and earned position as if Blatt would just gift it. I hope his own words ring true about players earning their position in training camp opposed to NBA 2k whim type of thing.
It's all about fit and strategy.. I think dion waiters is a future star and has earned enough to be a starter and play 30+ mpg, but I don't think him coming off the bench on this team would necessarily be a bad thing especially if we can get Ellington to start there. But I'm still all for dion starting.. If he doesn't that doesn't mean much though, he'll still probably get starter minutes and good playing time with lebron, kyrie, and love. Kyrie and love running a pick and roll/pop up top with dion and lebron on the wings and Andy running around being a nuisance is and orgasmic thought, once our offense gets clicking it will be impossible to contain

I actually like Ellington a lot. I think he's underrated as a bench player

It's all about fit and strategy.. I think dion waiters is a future star and has earned enough to be a starter and play 30+ mpg, but I don't think him coming off the bench on this team would necessarily be a bad thing especially if we can get Ellington to start there. But I'm still all for dion starting.. If he doesn't that doesn't mean much though, he'll still probably get starter minutes and good playing time with lebron, kyrie, and love. Kyrie and love running a pick and roll/pop up top with dion and lebron on the wings and Andy running around being a nuisance is and orgasmic thought, once our offense gets clicking it will be impossible to contain

I see your point but i want world domination :) that visceral oh shit type of dam how do we stop this team. Plus starting spots should be earned not given unless your an all star. I am holding out hope even for Andy to return to that 14 & 14+ beast he was when LBJ left. Add Dion doing his thing and you have a living breathing Hydra on the basketball court. The CAVS new model for NBA instead of the celtics, Miami, thing that seems so en vogue.

Hydra ball :) with the motion offense Blatt is going to run should be a sight to behold. Plus just as Andy says defense is majority effort.

Though CDR doesn't fit the veteran mold, I would give him an invite to camp.

Douglas-Roberts struggled with injuries last year, only playing 49 games excluding a few playoff games. But he seems like another solid perimeter defender and is an average three point shooter to boot. Allen or CDR would be a nice depth signing, when you consider Lebron is getting older and older as time passes, adding depth at the wing may be wise to preserve his health.

Gustavo Ayon is another interesting name in FA.

Though he struggled with a shoulder injury last year, Ayon's passing and rebounding would fit great with the many good passers and rebounding bigs on the Cavs, redundancy with solid passing big men is never a bad thing, ask the Spurs. This team is shaping to be one that should lead the league in multiple statistical rebounding categories, even without the signing of Ayon. Although, he wouldn't solve the Cavs' defensive or rim protection problems, keeping Varejao fresh for the playoffs should be as much of a priority as any. Gustavo is capable of providing 15 minutes of decent center play when healthy, such as he did with Atlanta.

Finally, Ray Allen, he averaged 26 minutes per game being Miami's key contributor off the bench for a team that won a title one year and made it to the finals the next. Allen turned 39 in July. Let that sink in.

No one can predict father time, but even he can't take away the mentoring Allen could provide the young guards on the Cavs. Also, he's still shooting threes at a high clip, 41% his first year in Miami and 37% the second. His career average is 39%, which he isn't far off from. His defense is suspect, but as a reserve SG playing along Delly, Marion, Waiters, James, the list goes on. How is he not playing defense going to have adverse effects on the team?
Especially if the Cavs acquire a rim protector.

So to me the positive way outweighs the negative with him. More bench depth is never a bad thing, let alone if an all-time great three point shooter is checking in the game for the Cavs.

886-jOM4W.St.56.jpeg

Doesn't look too old to me.

Last edited:
Read today that CDR was close to signing with the Clippers.

Good post though.

I thought EIlington played well for the Cavs back in 2013 and the numbers pretty well back me up. Rumor was that Grant was interested in bringing him back for the 2013-14 season. Then Dallas gave him two years guaranteed, and proceeded not to play him. I guess teams just don't think he adds enough defensively to justify rotation minutes on the wing. Anyway, he's been consistently putting up 55% TS and 40% 3P% in recent years, with decent secondary numbers.

I thought EIlington played well for the Cavs back in 2013 and the numbers pretty well back me up. Rumor was that Grant was interested in bringing him back for the 2013-14 season. Then Dallas gave him two years guaranteed, and proceeded not to play him. I guess teams just don't think he adds enough defensively to justify rotation minutes on the wing. Anyway, he's been consistently putting up 55% TS and 40% 3P% in recent years, with decent secondary numbers.

If minutes can tell the whole story, there just wasn't that much to go around in Dallas. Monta Ellis, Devin Harris, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion, and Jae Crowder all getting 90% of the minutes at Guard/Forward.

Ellington would fit like a glove with this team, having played with the core from the 2012-13 season. Great Plan B, if CB and Allen decide to retire or play elsewhere.

ellington has been spending his summer in philly w waiters too...theyre at fatty mcbroomstick's academy

The question with Ellington is not whether he'd be a great fit, it's if he would be willing to play for the vet minimum. He's played for $2 million the last two years. Can't see him wanting to play for the vet minimum at this stage in his career. We'll see though.

even if Ray played 10 mins a game that would help given he will have more legs under him for one.

Just looking at the roster I see no where for an extra SG to get PT other than situational end of game shooter. Ellington, Ray, or Miller won't beat out Dion for SG that is plain crazy. The roster is stacked with the 1st & 2nd line ups we need rim protection. Love to hear why people think we need an extra SG or why Miller let alone Ray could beat out Dion for the what should be earned starting position. None of that spacing crap or the Ginobli or Harden BS either.

Per Douglar:
  • PG: Kyrie Irving / Dellavedova/ Dion
  • SG: Dion Waiters / Mike Miller / Joe Harris
  • SF: Lebron James / Shawn Marion / James Jones
  • PF: Kevin Love / Tristan Thompson / Malcolm Thomas / Dwight Powell
  • C: Anderson Varejao / Brendan Haywood / Alex Kirk / Erik Murphy

Just looking at the roster I see no where for an extra SG to get PT other than situational end of game shooter. Ellington, Ray, or Miller won't beat out Dion for SG that is plain crazy. The roster is stacked with the 1st & 2nd line ups we need rim protection. Love to hear why people think we need an extra SG or why Miller let alone Ray could beat out Dion for the what should be earned starting position. None of that spacing crap or the Ginobli or Harden BS either.

Per Douglar:
  • PG: Kyrie Irving / Dellavedova/ Dion
  • SG: Dion Waiters / Mike Miller / Joe Harris
  • SF: Lebron James / Shawn Marion / James Jones
  • PF: Kevin Love / Tristan Thompson / Malcolm Thomas / Dwight Powell
  • C: Anderson Varejao / Brendan Haywood / Alex Kirk / Erik Murphy

LeBron will be playing quite a bit of PF and Mike Miller will get time at SF as well. The nice thing about all the depth the Cavs are acquiring is it gives them so many rotations that are just insane. If they get Ray - we'll definitely see a small ball lineup of Kyrie, Ray, Mike Miller, LeBron, and Love on the floor that'd be unstoppable to guard. Christ, just look at that again, just absolutely crazy to have 5 solid 3 point shooters on the floor along with our big 3 who can all attack the rim when defenders get spread out. You can list all our players in whatever way you desire, but it's impossible to not see the benefit of adding Ray Allen.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."