• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2014 Free Agency Period: News and Discussion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You can list all our players in whatever way you desire, but it's impossible to not see the benefit of adding Ray Allen.

Even at 39 years old, Ray Allen would be a good min salary addition to any team in the league. That's probably pretty easy for everyone to agree to. I think everyone knows that Ray wants a shot at a ring. I think the question at this point is what role Ray wants for himself. Would he be satisfied just acting as mentor on the bench or does he want to add to his career stat totals? If he wants to add to his career totals, he might not choose Cleveland if he's got a better shot at getting minutes on another team like the Clips.

Just looking at the roster I see no where for an extra SG to get PT other than situational end of game shooter. Ellington, Ray, or Miller won't beat out Dion for SG that is plain crazy. The roster is stacked with the 1st & 2nd line ups we need rim protection. Love to hear why people think we need an extra SG or why Miller let alone Ray could beat out Dion for the what should be earned starting position. None of that spacing crap or the Ginobli or Harden BS either.

Per Douglar:
  • PG: Kyrie Irving / Dellavedova/ Dion
  • SG: Dion Waiters / Mike Miller / Joe Harris
  • SF: Lebron James / Shawn Marion / James Jones
  • PF: Kevin Love / Tristan Thompson / Malcolm Thomas / Dwight Powell
  • C: Anderson Varejao / Brendan Haywood / Alex Kirk / Erik Murphy

With the amount of talent on this team, Delly probably won't play all that much. I see Marion getting a lot of time at PF because there is very little chance that Haywood plays significant minutes on this team. There are minutes on this team for Ray, if he decides to come here.

I think he signs here eventually, lebron and Jones are probably blowing up his phone on the regular

LeBron will be playing quite a bit of PF and Mike Miller will get time at SF as well. The nice thing about all the depth the Cavs are acquiring is it gives them so many rotations that are just insane. If they get Ray - we'll definitely see a small ball lineup of Kyrie, Ray, Mike Miller, LeBron, and Love on the floor that'd be unstoppable to guard. Christ, just look at that again, just absolutely crazy to have 5 solid 3 point shooters on the floor along with our big 3 who can all attack the rim when defenders get spread out. You can list all our players in whatever way you desire, but it's impossible to not see the benefit of adding Ray Allen.

Swap out Ray for Dion in your small ball line up and you have the same thing but better defense, facilitation and way more athleticism. So still why hamstring yourself but for a notable name. He wont play for a vet min is my bet.

We have that shooting already in spades with out Ray already which is really why I am so curious to see if it's fan boys or some impressively sound tactical reasoning behind the out cry for him.

He will not want to come of the bench behind Dion lol all of this my family talk blah blah blah. He has a always had an ego problem walking around with that my shit don't stink facial expression.

How is he not playing defense going to have adverse effects on the team?

If you put a guy who doesn't play defense on any team then you will see an adverse effect. That should be pretty non controversial.

Here is what Ray recently said:

"I don't want to go into a situation where I don't understand the coaching, don't understand the direction of the team," Allen said. "My family is very important in making the decision. Right now, there is nothing that I need to do. If I ultimately decide this will be it for me, I'm content with that."
Sounds like he's choosing the Clippers to me. "I don't understand the coaching" = I don't want to play for a euro coach.

Sounds like he's choosing the Clippers to me. "I don't understand the coaching" = I don't want to play for a euro coach.
I think he meant it more towards not understanding why a coach would run a certain offense or certain set. The direction of the Cavs is pretty clear, and I'm sure if he sat down with Blatt (I imagine he would do this before signing), he'd understand the coaching.

That said, I don't know how important it is to sign Ray anymore with all the shooters we've added, as the guy would barely play. I think he sees that too, which is why he might be looking elsewhere. Playing on a contender is what he wants, but is it worth it to join the Cavs to be the 3rd string SG? He already has titles

He will not want to come of the bench behind Dion lol all of this my family talk blah blah blah. He has a always had an ego problem walking around with that my shit don't stink facial expression.

Why do you think that? I think Ray Allen has a great understanding of his role this late in his career. In the Finals last year, Erik Spol's worst move in Game 5 was his last ditch effort to put Ray in the starting lineup. The move worked at first, but their bench was completely lacking and after the first quarter, the Heat were done and the Spurs blew them off the court and clinched the Larry O'Brien trophy.

And even with Waiters shooting better behind the arc last season, he still was not the shooter that Ray Allen was last year or any point in Ray's career. When the choice was between Waiters and Wiggins, I thought Wiggins made more sense in the starting lineup. But now, with the team we're assembling, it's hard to think anyone fits the starting spot more than Waiters. He'll be best at capitalizing on the defensive collapses from our Big 3 and attacking the rim. He's said over and over how he's been watching Wade's game and talking to LeBron about how hard he's working, that I really don't think his game will be spent hoisting up shots from the 3 point line. In our starting lineup, I'd rather see Kyrie, Love, or LeBron shooting from long range, and let Dion attack the weak side when defenses collapse on LeBron and Love. He has a great opportunity as a starter, he wants it so badly and has made it known, and Dion should very well be our starting SG. Having a vet and one of the best shooters in NBA history as his backup in Ray still seems like an awfully good substitution to me.

Why do you think that? I think Ray Allen has a great understanding of his role this late in his career. In the Finals last year, Erik Spol's worst move in Game 5 was his last ditch effort to put Ray in the starting lineup. The move worked at first, but their bench was completely lacking and after the first quarter, the Heat were done and the Spurs blew them off the court and clinched the Larry O'Brien trophy.

And even with Waiters shooting better behind the arc last season, he still was not the shooter that Ray Allen was last year or any point in Ray's career. When the choice was between Waiters and Wiggins, I thought Wiggins made more sense in the starting lineup. But now, with the team we're assembling, it's hard to think anyone fits the starting spot more than Waiters. He'll be best at capitalizing on the defensive collapses from our Big 3 and attacking the rim. He's said over and over how he's been watching Wade's game and talking to LeBron about how hard he's working, that I really don't think his game will be spent hoisting up shots from the 3 point line. In our starting lineup, I'd rather see Kyrie, Love, or LeBron shooting from long range, and let Dion attack the weak side when defenses collapse on LeBron and Love. He has a great opportunity as a starter, he wants it so badly and has made it known, and Dion should very well be our starting SG. Having a vet and one of the best shooters in NBA history as his backup in Ray still seems like an awfully good substitution to me.

KI and Dion shooting the 3 has minimal difference to me there is an immense amount of favoritism for KI it's interesting to say the least. I need to look over their shooting numbers Ki had the higher dribble 3's percentage while Dion is the better set shooter. Both can drive to the rack KI benefits for more calls. Dion can guard 3 positions while also being much more athletic with an elite frame and body. Both can facilitate but I saw the team play better team ball with Dion & Delly at the end of the year when Ki was injured.

This wait for TC is gruelingly mind numbing I'm dieing yo :). Can not wait to see how players respond and the new culture takes form. Hard to imagine the renaissance of brilliant basket ball about to take place.

Last edited:
After re-reading the linked article, it almost sounds like Ray might want to go to a team that will jump start his coaching career.

I'd like them to play some young guys for once. We got shafted with our trade value for multiple pieces. Bennett, Zeller, Karasev. They were worth very little in trade and mostly that had to do with playing time to me.

It can be hard to tell, because not getting playing time can be because there are no minutes or you are no good, but not getting minutes as a young player is a pretty good guarantee you won't have any value or get any better. I understand the mentoring role Ray Allen would play, but can we please play the supposed sharpshooter we drafted for once instead of cutting or trading him for nothing to open a roster spot for a guy who has no future here? I just want to see what Harris can do at the very least.

I want to see Delly get minutes too. I think he has proven he belongs in the NBA and he has been super influential in a positive way on the court. Ok, Ray Allen is a better player today because he is a HOFer, but he is doing nothing for this team in the next few years, and early development minutes are important. I'd rather Delly get the minutes to be honest. He still has upside.

Hire Allen as a shooting coach or something if you want him in that mentor role.

im seeing talk on twitter an analyst on ESPN said cavs are trying to work something with denver for mcgee now..

im seeing talk on twitter an analyst on ESPN said cavs are trying to work something with denver for mcgee now..
he's making like 10 mill and we have no trade pieces, unless we're willing to give up tristan/andy. id be ecstatic if we stole mcgee from denver but i dont see how its possible

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."