• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The 2015 Cleveland Indians

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You could even add Gomes in there also with Bourn kip Brantley and Santana.

Chisenhall as well, probably.

Much of the 2015 team is locked in, the biggest and most crucial aspect for improvement with the offense won't come through free agency.

Santana finally has an everyday position, his production since that permanent move is probably not a coincidence. Getting Kipnis healthy this off-season would be huge for the offense.

1 - CF - Michael Bourn
2 - SS - Jose Ramirez (S)
3 - LF - Michael Brantley (L)
4 - 1B - Carlos Santana (S)
5 - 2B - Jason Kipnis (L)
6 - C - Yan Gomes
7 - 3B - Lonnie Chisenhall (L)
8 - DH - Nick Swisher (S)
9 - David Murphy (L)

Bench: Bobby Perez, Ryan Raburn, Mike Aviles*

The other options for the fourth bench spot is really up for grabs. Zach Walters, Tyler Holt, JB Shuck, Jesus Aguilar, Carlos Moncrief

I left an asterisk with Aviles because I don't think his $3.5 is a lock to be picked up. The problem with that is you really don't have a Major League bench option at shortstop unless they believe Walters can play there (I don't think they do). Lindor needs to get every day ABs somewhere so they won't have him on the bench in Cleveland. Could see someone brought in there, a veteran middle infielder type.

If they can find a taker for Swisher then all bets are off, but I just can't even get serious in thinking about that because it's so unlikely.

I don't think they'll have a 4th bench spot. Tito has been pretty fixated on having that 13 man pitching staff for the majority of the season.

Not as high on the bench now, especially now that Raburn has come back to earth.

I'm sure we could find a taker for Swisher, but nothing I'd be happy with (want nothing to do with Ubaldo, Nolasco, or anything of that sort)

The bad part about this lineup is that we're limited to the upgrades having to be in RF or maybe 3B/SS.

If they strike gold and unload Swisher, they have the DH spot to play with in terms of an upgrade.

I'm also not sure they'll role with a three-man bench if they do in fact decline Aviles' option. The lack of multi-positional guys would be a concern, and obviously you've got question marks in that lineup as well.

Although Kluber isn't up for arbitration, you bet your ass they're looking to sign him long term this offseason..... and that should be priority #1.

I'm not sure that they will. Kluber is 28 years old and under team control through 2018. He'll be 33 at the start the 2019 season. I wouldn't say there's no chance, but I don't know that it's priority #1 either.

I'm not sure that they will. Kluber is 28 years old and under team control through 2018. He'll be 33 at the start the 2019 season. I wouldn't say there's no chance, but I don't know that it's priority #1 either.

The reason they would lock him up and make it a top priority, would be to buy out his arbitration years

Jose Ramirez has made this a very interesting offseason. A FanGraphs article published yesterday mentions the possibility of trading Lindor, which I'm not a fan of at all, but does mention an idea I do like:

"You could move Ramirez to second and push Jason Kipnis (a -6 defensive second baseman) to the outfield, and you’d keep everyone under team control."

L-CF-Bourn
S-2B-Ramirez
L-LF-Brantley
S-1B-Santana
L-RF-Kipnis
R-C-Gomes
L-3B-Chisenhall
S-DH-Swisher
S-SS-Lindor

Bench

OF-Murphy
C-Perez
IF-Aviles

In this scenario, I'd look to dump Raburn.

The reason they would lock him up and make it a top priority, would be to buy out his arbitration years

I understand that and I do think he'll get one, I just don't know that they'll make it a top priority this offseason. He's not an impending free agent so they can explore other offseason moves and maybe sit down with him once they hit Goodyear, or possibly even around the All-Star break.

Possible Trade Targets:

Evan Gattis - Rumors are going around that the Braves might shop him this winter. Christian Betancourt, one of Atlanta's top prospects, might be ready in 2015. He's still under team control for another four seasons and could get ABs for the Tribe at primarily at DH and C but could also play some 1B and LF. On the season, Gattis has produced a line of .270/.325/.507 with 22 HR. He'd certainly add some much-needed power to the Tribe lineup.

Allen Craig - There's not much room for him in Boston - they have Cespedes, Victorino, and newly signed Rusney Castillo in the outfield with Mike Napoli at 1B. Craig has been awful this year for both St. Louis and Boston, but was excellent at the plate from 2011-2013. He could find time at RF, 1B, and DH for the Tribe.

Chris Carter - Certainly an all or nothing guy, Carter is a guy the Astros dangled to teams in July. He has big time power but also strikes out a ton. He's primarily a DH, although he did play a bit at 1B and LF this season.

Justin Smoak - The Mariners 1B is set to get paid almost $4 M in 2015 and has been a disappointment for the Mariners. He'd be a chance of scenery candidate.

Ben Zobrist - He can play all over the field (2B, SS, OF), he's a really good #2 hitter, he's a veteran leader, and the Rays might be willing to deal him this offseason. However, he's a free agent after 2015 and the Rays don't have to deal him, so he could be a pricey rental.

Possible Free Agent Targets:

Victor Martinez - I'm not letting go of this one until he signs elsewhere. He'd be the perfect fit to this lineup and there's no reason Swisher couldn't still get enough ABs at DH/1B/RF. In fact, Swisher might be more effective if he wasn't being counted on as an everyday option.

Michael Cuddyer - He's up there in age and has battled injury problems but when he is healthy, he's still a damn good hitter. He's mainly been a RF for Colorado but could also play 1B. Seems like the type Tito/Antonetti/Shapiro would covet.

Mike Morse - He's had a really nice year for the Giants and would provide the Indians some power from the right side of the plate. He'd mainly be an option at LF and 1B.

Josh Willingham - They showed interest in him before and he might be had with a one year deal.

Alex Rios - The Rangers might decline his option, making him a free agent. The Indians had rumored interest in July, but his power decline might scare them off.

Jonny Gomes - Would come cheaper than other options and could platoon with Murphy.

Josh Beckett - Veteran, has ties to Tito, great postseason experience, could probably be had on a one year deal.

Last edited:
Regardless of what happens the rest of this season, the development of the pitching staff in 2014, will make the Indians instant contenders in 2015 and beyond..... we're in a better spot now for future seasons than we have been in a loooong time.

Peter Gammons wrote a real good article about this exact topic. Hopefully the Indians can get creative in ways to improve the lineup. For me, the only guys legitimately worthy of a starting spot are: Brantley (OF), Gomes (C), and Santana (1B). It's astounding how we little production we got from 2B, DH, CF, and RF this year. Chiz was okay at 3B and has probably earned a spot there and Ramirez is playing like a 3-win player at SS. This team is not far off from contention at all......

My friend Jonah Keri with some nice things to say about the Indians going forward:

Running Out of Time
The Tigers finally started playing like the Tigers again this weekend, sweeping the Indians and more or less killing Cleveland’s slim chances of making the playoffs. Still, the Tribe’s ability to stay on the fringes of the race for this long underscored a strength that bodes well for 2015: The Indians have a lot of young, talented starting pitchers, potentially enough to challenge for the AL Central crown next year.

We already know about Corey Kluber. The 28-year-old right-hander posted promising peripheral numbers last season, and has put it all together this year, emerging as arguably one of the three best pitchers in the American League behind Felix Hernandez and Chris Sale. The Indians control his rights for four more years, but will presumably approach him with a long-term contract offer, even if only to lessen the sting of some potentially large arbitration offers in the coming seasons.

Then there’s Danny Salazar. Amid some solid breakout picks this spring (Anthony Rendon, Drew Smyly, Derek Norris, Giancarlo Stanton), I also tossed out a couple of stinkers, and Salazar was the biggest whiff. The 24-year-old right-hander entered this season looking primed for big things following 10 great starts last year while wielding an electric arsenal of pitches including a fastball that often touched the high 90s. But instead of producing a breakout, Salazar laid an egg to start this season, posting a 5.53 ERA through his first eight starts and earning a demotion to Triple-A. He’s been much better since returning, flashing a 3.30 ERA. For Salazar, the adjustment mostly came down to command: He walked 17 batters in his first 40.2 innings and caught too much of the plate when he wasn’t walking batters, surrendering eight home runs and far too many hits in those first eight starts. Since returning, he’s chopped his walk, hit, and home run rates significantly, while still firing those electric pitches that make him a strikeout-per-inning pitcher. Might as well make room for him in next year’s breakout predictions.

sal-slider.gif

Next there’s Trevor Bauer, whom Kevin Towers and the Diamondbacks got so sick of that theytraded him for light-hitting shortstop Didi Gregorius. After a year of development, Bauer has lived up to his vast potential and rewarded the Indians’ faith in him, fanning 135 batters in 142.2 innings and getting better as the year has progressed, with a 3.35 ERA over his last seven starts. The Indians control his rights through 2019, and the trade could become more lopsided in Cleveland’s favor with each passing year.

Those three were supposed to eventually succeed. The bigger surprise has been the recent performances of two pitchers long considered little more than back-of-the-rotation stopgaps. Lefty T.J. House, a 16th-round draft pick in 2008, completed his unlikely journey to the big leagues by making his MLB debut onMay 17, at the age of 24. After some rough early results, he’s been very good over his last seven starts, holding opponents to zero or one run in five of those seven outings, with a 2.14 ERA, 41 strikeouts, seven walks, and two homers allowed in 42 total innings. Meanwhile, Carlos Carrasco was once a highly regarded prospect, ranked no. 41 byBaseball Americaand no. 37 by Baseball Prospectus in 2007. Then the Phillies flipped him to Cleveland in 2009 as part of the Cliff Lee trade, Carrasco’s numbers sputtered in the minors and majors with the Tribe, and Tommy John surgery in September 2011 seemed to close the door on his upside. He’s proved the doubters wrong in 2014, spinning a high-90s fastball and high-80s slider into gold: 110 innings pitched, 109 strikeouts, and just 90 hits, 24 walks, and seven home runs allowed, with a 2.86 ERA.

Add it all up and you have a starting rotation that has ranked fourth in the majors in ERA and first in Fielding Independent Pitching since the All-Star break. Pull off a couple of value-based acquisitions and promote shortstop prospect Francisco Lindor as part of a teamwide effort to upgrade a miserable defense and the Indians could be downright scary in 2015.

I'd guess with Francisco Lindor not getting a September callup, we'll see Jose Ramirez break camp as the starting shortstop,

If they really want to break camp with Ramirez being a starter, it should be at 2nd, with Kipnis moving to RF.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."