• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Destiny

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The game was definitely overhyped. When I first heard about this game, I was really excited because it sounded to me like it was going to be a lot more open and have a lot of MMO elements to it. Maybe I expected too much, but it seemed to me like it was going to be the next great sci-fi saga, with a ton of open world exploration and a ton of things to do.

Instead, I feel like we got a watered-down version of a Halo/Borderlands hybrid with pretty graphics, fun gameplay, but no storyline (especially head-scratching given Halo's immense popularity) and a lot of linearity.

I'd still get it, and while I'm confident that my opinion of it will improve over time, right now it's just an okay game in my eyes. There's nothing really overly special about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MM6wQNNPsM
I'll just put this here. It's a great way to far and i would spam this until they take it out the game.
I'm level 24 right now and have gotten all of my light gear from just spamming the Crucible which i have maxed out my marks for this week. I'm level one with my faction, you can buy legendary gear at level two. Really, once you get to level 2 and 3 ranks with everyone, its really easy to get legendary gear without depending on drops. There are so many ways you can go about it.

Is it safe to say that most of you would not buy this game if you had a do over? Seems like everyone is trudging along just to get through it. Pretty happy that I didn't impulse buy it because it sounds pretty miserable.
I definitely would get it still. Even if I never played it again after yesterday I had a lot of fun in the ~20 hrs I played.

They've alienated a large portion of their gamer base by doing this, but I heard you don't actually have to be level 26 to access it, just that it's impossibly difficult if you're not. Their rationale in not allowing random matchmaking is that communication is key, and not all randoms talk to each other. I agree to a certain extent, but I still think the exclusion of matchmaking is bogus.

The leveling is pretty stupid once you hit 20. You only level up based on gear, which is entirely luck of the draw based on loot and drops. You can get Crucible or Vanguard gear, but only if you have enough Crucible/Vanguard marks, which are capped at only being able to earn 100 per week.

It's a shame because I really do enjoy the gameplay. I thought there were some parts that were refreshingly difficult, and despite it somewhat lacking in variety, I think the multiplayer is a lot of fun, too. But Bungie has dropped the ball in trying to reinvent the wheel here. There are definitely things that need to be fixed, starting with the endgame leveling and the cap on currency to acquire the best gear.

Also, I haven't even bothered to follow the storyline on this game, much like I didn't bother to follow the storyline in either Borderlands game. I think it just distracts from the gameplay in a game like this, anyway.
Yes it's true you aren't locked out at say 23 or whatever, but as you say it's impossible.

Yeah gear based leveling... what a waste of my time. It would be alright if it wasn't so random.

I don't know if I'd buy it again, I likely would. The summer drought was pretty nuts.

Is it safe to say that most of you would not buy this game if you had a do over? Seems like everyone is trudging along just to get through it. Pretty happy that I didn't impulse buy it because it sounds pretty miserable.

I second this. Still don't understand what all the fuss and hype is about, really.

So I guess there's a theory going around that the Guardians in Destiny are actually the Darkness, doing the bidding of the Traveler in wiping out all life in the universe or some such. It's a cool theory, but I'm 99% sure Bungie isn't that clever based on their previous works, and it still wouldn't excuse the horrible writing and awful voice acting in the game.

The theory originated when a player heard a Fallen Dreg yell out "It's the Darkness" when the player rounded a corner.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheG...rheard_a_fallen_dreg_say_something_and_now_i/

A fun read if you have some free time. I'd say spoilers, but let's be real here...you can't spoil the story in Destiny. It doesn't exist.

Side note: This game is so much more fun when you play it with friends. I was in a party chat with three of my buddies last night and we had a great time making fun of the bad writing while we went on missions. We had to split up into groups of two since Destiny won't allow you to have a fire team larger than three people on regular missions, but it was still enjoyable.

Side note 2: How much better would Destiny be if your Ghost was just Wheatley from Portal 2? 1000x better? 10000x?

Last edited:
I'm officially over grinding for legendary and exotic gear once you hit level 20. So fucking stupid. All based on luck of the draw and nothing more, and weak enemies have the exact same chance to drop legendary stuff as stronger enemies and bosses do.

That being said, I did have some success grinding at a particular spot in the Barrens on Mars, not far from where you initially spawn. Treasure chests spawn all over that area and there are constantly Vex and Cabal that spawn there, so at least you can gain XP for your weapons and abilities while you do it. I had a few rare Engrams drop.

Here's a video of the place in particular, let me know if you guys find any other good spots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNC-VqAMKw&feature=youtu.be

I did that moon mission listed above on level twelve (as the video suggested) last night and got a bunch of stuff, including an engram or two and those codex thingies the engram guy buys for 200 glimmer each. I didn't do it to grind...I was just attempting to finish all the moon missions. However, there are a ton of yellow health bar enemies to grind through and a lot of them drop things.

I'm officially over grinding for legendary and exotic gear once you hit level 20. So fucking stupid. All based on luck of the draw and nothing more, and weak enemies have the exact same chance to drop legendary stuff as stronger enemies and bosses do.

That being said, I did have some success grinding at a particular spot in the Barrens on Mars, not far from where you initially spawn. Treasure chests spawn all over that area and there are constantly Vex and Cabal that spawn there, so at least you can gain XP for your weapons and abilities while you do it. I had a few rare Engrams drop.

Here's a video of the place in particular, let me know if you guys find any other good spots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNC-VqAMKw&feature=youtu.be

Just got done on Mars. Had to get a load of Relic Iron for my legendary gear.
There are two other areas on mars that is better for chest farming than the one on that vid imo.

Here is a chest farming area for earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdiV7gRRF8&list=UUrLg-kIf2kgo9E77BMODeTg

Just imagine this instead of Dinklage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afHt_1sVQ14

I can imagine him accidentally setting off an alarm while trying to deactivate a door, thus setting an angry mob of aliens upon the Guardians. Bungie needs to call up Stephen Merchant and patch this in immediately.

Just imagine this instead of Dinklage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afHt_1sVQ14

I can imagine him accidentally setting off an alarm while trying to deactivate a door, thus setting an angry mob of aliens upon the Guardians. Bungie needs to call up Stephen Merchant and patch this in immediately.

"Let there be light! ... That's, uh, God... I was quoting God."

Getting real tired of going from place to place, killing scores of aliens, and moving on. Is there anything more?

I did that moon mission listed above on level twelve (as the video suggested) last night and got a bunch of stuff, including an engram or two and those codex thingies the engram guy buys for 200 glimmer each. I didn't do it to grind...I was just attempting to finish all the moon missions. However, there are a ton of yellow health bar enemies to grind through and a lot of them drop things.
I did this yesterday for about 40 minutes before it kicked me back to orbit. I got 2 blue engrams in just over 800 kills. It isn't a horrible way to get stuff. At least it's a good way to make glimmer when you combine it with the wax idols. Easily make 7 or 8k an hour.

I've gotten 3 legendary drops in let's call it 10 hours of standing in one spot shooting enemies, 1 of them went exotic, which is great I got a helmet. The other 2 went blue.

From the cryptarch packages I've gotten an exotic and legendary gauntlets, for the other 2 classes... Yesterday I finally got legendary gauntlets for my class.

Level 25 now, straight grinding. I have enough strange coins to buy an exotic from Xur, but of course my helmets light will go from 21 to 13 if I bought say chest armour with 25 over my current 15, it would only be a net gain of 2 light.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."