• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Wide Open at Wide Receiver

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rank the Most Impactful Browns WRs in 2014

• Nate Burleson

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Miles Austin

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Andrew Hawkins

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Charles Johnson

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Travis Benjamin

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other (Not Gordon)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Manningham is done.

I like him a lot. I was hoping he would pick Ohio State over Maryland. He is a tad small to be a number 1 Wr in the NFL, but he is very explosive. I wonder if a guy like him might sneak into the early 2nd round? Probably not.
I would not be surprised if Hawkins and Gabriel (I see TB as a more of returner then a WR) are the only ones still on the roster next year.

I will be absolutely shocked if Diggs isn't a first round pick.

I will be absolutely shocked if Diggs isn't a first round pick.
Yeah Maryland plays USF here next Saturday, and I thought about going just to see Diggs play in person.
Perhaps Lee can go see Strong, and you could see the USC kid and we can send Farmer a REalbrownsfans scouting report :chuckle:

Charles Johnson signed to the practice squad:

6'4 200lbs 4.44 40 time. NFL.com's draft preview of him
Overview
Hunter’s height, striding speed, explosive leaping ability, and easy hands make him an exceptional vertical threat able to take the top off of any defense –- but only when he’s on the field. The Volunteers looked like they were on their way to a prolific 2011 season after putting up more than 40 points in each of their first two games. But their initial first down against Florida in week three proved fatal to the team’s chances of securing a bowl win, as Hunter tore his left ACL during a 12-yard catch on third down – and the team’s offense scored just 92 points in eight conference games without him (and with quarterback Tyler Bray also not himself throughout most of the season). The Vols' struggles continued in 2012, and even though Hunter started the entire season, his setbacks weren't as much physical as they were mental.

The Virginia high school All-American and winner of the high jump competition at the 2010 USA Junior Championships combined with fellow sophomore quarterback Tyler Bray for big yardage against Montana (six catches, 146 yards, touchdown) and Cincinnati (10-156, TD) before the injury. This was no surprise given the flashes of playmaking brilliance he showed while making the SEC coaches’ all-freshman squad in 2010. Hunter played in all 13 games, starting twice, in his first year on campus; his 16 catches covered 415 yards (a stout 25.9 yards per reception) and seven touchdowns. After returning from injury in 2012, Hunter started all 12 games opposite fellow junior Cordarrelle Patterson, hauling in 1,083 yards and nine touchdowns on 73 catches. That total could have been much higher, as Hunter's usually reliable hands seemed to fail him the entire season.

Analysis
Strengths
Prototypical height for an outside NFL receiver, though he will line up in the slot to test defenses over the middle. Straight-line speed appears more than sufficient for his size, can burst past corners down the sideline, and long strides that make it difficult for cornerbacks to recover once beaten. Varies his speed in routes to put defenses off balance, can accelerate with good foot quickness after a lull to create separation on digs and seam routes. Despite his size, possesses enough of a shimmy off the line to lose cornerbacks. Soft hands make him able to snatch throws in front of his frame or over either shoulder; will be threat on jump balls with his height and leaping ability.
Weaknesses
Has a limited number of snaps under his belt, needs to prove his hands are consistent when tested in a full season as a starter. Missed most of his second season with a torn left ACL. Must continue to get stronger throughout his frame to win battles at the line of scrimmage and break away from NFL tacklers. Blocking on run plays is inconsistent at best, shows little physicality in that realm.
NFL Comparison
Roy Williams
Bottom Line
Tennessee’s tall strider looked to be on his way to a breakout year (17 catches, 314 yards, two touchdowns in just over two games) in 2011 before tearing his left ACL. He missed no time in 2012, but Hunter apparently lost his reliable hands that were a staple of his game prior to the knee injury. It was confusing to watch, since many of the junior's mistakes were mental rather than physical limitations. Still, Hunter's ability to separate with smooth routes will likely land him on the second day of April's draft.

REALLY LIKE... This would be really really great! Wonder if anything happened to one of the guys the Browns already have or if it's just a realization that they need decent weapons to win....

FYI, trade deadline is 4pm on October 28th.

This guy has all the upside in the world but is being plagued by drops and inefficient route running this season. But it also goes unsaid that his quarterbacks suck.

Second round pick with physical tools and physical makeup (6'4, 4.4 forty time) dropping balls and losing concentration - sounds like the Greg Little story. The difference here is that one of Hunter's strengths early in his college career was his hands.

I'd be interested to see if a change of scenery and veteran leadership like Miles Austin can help steer him the right way. The guy has the tools to be a beast in this league.

Wow, that's interesting, really like Hunter's potential. He would be a nice vertical threat with some good size.

Wouldn't mind him if we don't give up a lot.

If other teams aren't looking into him, let's see how we fair against a few of these "shit teams" we have to play and go from there. Don't jump feet first on this guy and give up picks/players if we actually start stringing together some wins and we get Gordon back in 6 weeks for our tougher part of schedule.

If they aren't asking for much, do it. We love our injury guys, that's for sure.

Can't stop laughing at Titans fans' reactions to the rumor... They're not only over the top, they're downright delusional:
So much for my hopes of getting Joe Hayden for Justin Hunter.
Wamp wamp waaaaaaaamp.

id do it for a 1st or two 2nds
otherwise, napes.

And responding to an apparent rumor that Crowell would be involved in a deal:

From a (terribly written) SB article:
Then, to make the rumor even better, some other dude is reporting that the deal would be Isaiah Crowell, WHO WAS UNDRAFTED, for Hunter.

Newsflash, Titan nation: Hunter hasn't accomplished dick. 32 out of 32 NFL teams take Crowell over Hunter and they do it yesterday.

Killing it with that analysis: "This guy was drafted higher so how could you trade him for an undrafted player?!"

By that logic, you wouldn't trade Justin Hunter for Wes Welker, Tom Brady, Arian Foster, Priest Holmes in his prime, etc.? Got it. Stunning analysis.

Last edited:
I'd imagine it would be a conditional 4th-6th rounder no?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."