• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Welcome Shawn Marion #31

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Just watched this 18 minute Marion 2014 highlight reel and its uncanny how its essentially the same 4 shots over and over and over again.
The unorthodox shot put three pointer
The running, one handed awkward looking floater from just about anywhere in the lane
Dunks and alley oops off of cutting and finding pockets of space in the half court offense
Dunks resulting from fast breaks, leak outs, and steals.

Other than that there was the occasional postup when he had advantageous matchups like being defended by Randy Foye. But probably 90% of all his baskets last year were from the list of four above.

It's going to be a trip for the casual fans who just go to games and don't spend time on here or watching clips online to adjust to his 3 pt shot andhis floater. A lot of "no, no, no, YES!" being shouted until everyone is familiar with his style.

My god, that reminds me of Jamison's shot repertoire, except from farther away from the basket.

Shawn got a glowing send off from a Dallas fan.

http://thesmokingcuban.com/2014/09/22/shawn-marion-remembering-matrix/

Shawn Marion elected to sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers to join Lebron James in pursuit of another championship. You really can’t blame him, but it did hurt to see Marion sign with the Cavs for just the veterans minimum.

Shawn Marion was a Maverick for five years, and for those five years, he might just end up getting his jersey hung up in the rafters of the AAC. Marion was arguably the best defender on the Mavs for each of those five years.

Not only did he play exceptional man-to-man defense on elite players, like Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant, but Marion also out-hustled players for rebounds, drained a flurry of floaters (trying saying that five times fast) and used his experience and savvy to help the Mavs win games. For that, the Matrix will always be loved by MFFL’s.

When Shawn Marion signed with the Mavs in 2009, however, I was honestly hoping for another Marion to show up. After his brief stints in Miami and Toronto, Marion wanted to be on a contender again and ended up on the Mavs through a sign and trade.

I expected him to rejuvenate his career in Dallas and be the player he was in Phoenix, draining threes consistently, throwing down tomahawk dunks, and playing like the four-time all-star he was as a rival of the Mavericks. But that’s not the Shawn Marion we got.

Marion’s role on the Mavericks from the beginning was to be a top-tier defender, not a major offensive threat. And that’s exactly what the Mavericks needed. From the beginning of the 2008-209 season up until the end of last year, Shawn Marion exceeded in being the best perimeter defender the Mavs had as well as being a reliable late-game player down the stretch of games.

Marion’s offensive game declined without a doubt, with the exception of that awkward floater, but his toughness, energy, and leadership helped Dallas remain successful and ultimately win an NBA Championship. I have no doubt in my mind that the Mavs wouldn’t have won the championship without Marion, and I’m pretty sure most people would agree.

Now, Marion has teamed up with the best player on the planet in pursuit of another title. I’m just waiting for Tuesday, March 10–the day Shawn Marion makes his return to the AAC. The standing ovation will be well deserved for the Matrix.

Just realized- James Jones was part of that amazing Nash/Amare/Marion PHX offensive juggernaut-

-7770f0cfc460d388.jpg

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2009/james-jones
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/510/shawn-marion

I like what one of the guests said because I hadn't thought about it before. When the game slows down in the playoffs guys who aren't usually rim protectors are in better position for blocks and become rim protectors. Aka Marion, Lebron TT. Would it be nice to have a Sanders in the middle blocking shots yes but if it comes down to it I'm sure the sum of our parts can offset it with weak side blocks and ect

That lineup during the Wine and Gold scrimmage with Kyrie, Dion, LBJ, Marion, and Love looked lethal. Just when I started to wonder how well they can defend, Marion made a huge one on one rejection on defense. Killer small ball stuff, I hope we see more of it.

That lineup during the Wine and Gold scrimmage with Kyrie, Dion, LBJ, Marion, and Love looked lethal. Just when I started to wonder how well they can defend, Marion made a huge one on one rejection on defense. Killer small ball stuff, I hope we see more of it.

Thats my best lineup on 2k haha. Fast and marion and lebron are all over the place on D. I think we will see plenty of it because we have to get marion in the game for some decent playing time. Can't have a piece like that sitting on the bench for 30 minutes of the game IMHO.

With my experience watching Blatt's teams over the years I can tell you that this lineup will see game time for sure.
I can see this lineup with full court pressure vs slow teams with some zone defense with lots of changes.
It sounds counter logic but I can see this lineup vs teams with huge centers.
Even though they might have some easy points in paint, the overall impact will be immense with tons of turnovers for the other team.

I personally LOVE those small ball lineups and the good thing is - Blatt does too!

This guy still looks good out there. I don't know how he does it but he didn't look like he was 36-7 out there. Now he's not like Matrix back in Phoenix but if you didn't know anything about his previous incarnation, you saw a guy who was quick, had a good length, and had good basketball IQ. He knew where to be on both offense and defense. He may go down as the key piece to the offseason, the guy who puts everything together.

i dont understand his hair. why does he have negative sideburns

This guy still looks good out there. I don't know how he does it but he didn't look like he was 36-7 out there. Now he's not like Matrix back in Phoenix but if you didn't know anything about his previous incarnation, you saw a guy who was quick, had a good length, and had good basketball IQ. He knew where to be on both offense and defense. He may go down as the key piece to the offseason, the guy who puts everything together.

Agreed. I was very impressed by Marion tonight. His rebounding and activity in particular was really on point.

Love the bench with Marion- he's a cerebral defender, was looking around during play seeing if guys were in their spots. They're going to be a nice defensive group (Varejao/Delly/Marion) with some shooters (Miller/Jones) they can mix in at will. I haven't been this excited about the bench's stopper potential since Traylor and Andy.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."