• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Brian Hoyer thread...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It was a bad performance all around by the offense. Running backs stopped beating one on one situations against defenders. Hoyer had 2-3 batted balls and missed on 3-4 other throws, receivers were generally terrible. I am currently frightened by what the loss of Alex Mack is going to mean for this team. Don't get me started on special teams, which have been consistently bad in wins AND losses all year. Plenty of blame to go around. I just don't like the scapegoating of one guy.

The only guy who deserves to get off the hook is Gipson, who was spectacular all day. Everyone else looked equally rattled.

If Hoyer doesn't get time to throw and the running game drops an egg he will always have a bad game, having a worse OL might mean Manziel would look better under it.

Hoyer was piss poor today, but last week I was singing his praises. I'm still not prepared to throw him under the bus alone. It was an awful performance by the entire team today.

It was a bad performance all around by the offense. Running backs stopped beating one on one situations against defenders. Hoyer had 2-3 batted balls and missed on 3-4 other throws, receivers were generally terrible. I am currently frightened by what the loss of Alex Mack is going to mean for this team. Don't get me started on special teams, which have been consistently bad in wins AND losses all year. Plenty of blame to go around. I just don't like the scapegoating of one guy.

Can't this story be said for every single QB that's been run outta town since '99, though?

Hoyer is clearly the best option to win this year at QB-- no mid-season changes, I don't want him benched. I really don't want to see Manziel this year. I didn't want to draft him (I was alone on that Derek Carr train-- he's playing real well, btw) but I guess I understand what the Front Office hopes JFF brings to the organization but he's simply not ready. So this isn't a Manziel vs. Hoyer post....

That being said, I'm more interested in evaluating Hoyer's performance as it pertains to the contract situation since Brian's comments made it a "thing" this past week. I agree that offensive performance is a team effort, it's something I've been alluding to for numerous weeks in a row because, in my estimation, Hoyer had been the beneficiary of some exemplary effort from those around him-- but I was mostly accused of being a Hoyer hater...whatever.

From the entire offensive line keeping him upright, to the running backs gaining enough yards to keep an extra man in the box, to the receivers catching some poorly thrown balls-- they've all kinda picked up Hoyer at certain points in the season. I think today was a great opportunity for Hoyer to pickup those around him because they weren't playing all that well but he failed to raise to the occasion today. Yes, it's one game but I think we saw a lot of things go wrong for Hoyer today that he was previously getting away with in the first 5 games and that's most concerning to me.....

Was at the game yesterday. I hope TV did justice to just how bad he was in person.

He is who we thought he was. Still deserves to start, because he puts us in the best position to win, but I'm glad the top 10 "debate" can finally be closed.

On to the next one.

Very bad day. For Hoyer, among many others. Just so many missed throws. I'm not going down the Manziel road, though. Brian has earned the opportunity to be able to watch tape this week comfortably gameplanning for next Sunday rather than be inundated with Manziel questions/distractions... Honestly, for the most part, the response in this thread after yesterday is very justified and not exaggerated. Nice.

On a side note: I think Telvin Smith was yesterday what Pettine wanted Mingo to be.

That's if you assume they come out and play the same way they did today.

Which was a drastic outlier through six games this season.

It was? They played that way for at least a quarter, sometimes a half in all their games so far.

They finally did it for a whole game.

Ok. I slept on it and I think I've come back to earth.

We got our asses handed to us yesterday. We got outplayed by a hungry defense against a confused O-Line and a timid offense. I agree with @AZ_ in that this game is an outlier.

The 2010 New England Patriots final record? 14-2. One of their two losses? 34-14 to an eventual 5-11 Browns squad. This shit happens. Every team has a clunker and maybe we got ours out of the way early? It was bound to happen.

Hell, people were actually asking if Tom Brady's career was over a few weeks ago. Hoyer is not Brady, but this is the nature of the damn sport.

The Bengals got clobbered in a shutout, the Bears are coming apart at the seams, the Seahawks just lost to the Rams to fall to .500.

It happens. Will we respond? I say yes. Why? Because I watched this team play their hearts out for 5 weeks before unraveling in 1. They needed this to stay grounded. Too much talk of 6-2 all week - this game was overlooked. They needed a reality check that they need to play these games, nothing his handed to you.

I'm focused on a bad Oakland team and you'd be crazy to think you're not 4-3 going into the Tampa game. The same way everyone said the season was "over" after a piss poor preseason, they will say it's "over" after one poor performance. But time and again it's proven that the NFL is impossible to predict.

If Hoyer comes out and throws for 300 and 2 TDs next week, are you actually that surprised anymore? The guy has earned his chance this season by playing good football in 8 regular season games. I'll give him this clunker and I'm still sticking by him.

I agree with Binkster. It was a disappointing loss and one where we looked horrible on offense but like it was too early to call Hoyer top 10, it's too early to throw the season in the trash can. If we lose vs Oakland or Tampa Bay then we can have a serious conversation about it but in a 16 game season you are bound to have a few clunkers. You just don't want to have your clunkers vs teams you should easily beat.

Ok. I slept on it and I think I've come back to earth.

We got our asses handed to us yesterday. We got outplayed by a hungry defense against a confused O-Line and a timid offense. I agree with @AZ_ in that this game is an outlier.

The 2010 New England Patriots final record? 14-2. One of their two losses? 34-14 to an eventual 5-11 Browns squad. This shit happens. Every team has a clunker and maybe we got ours out of the way early? It was bound to happen.

Hell, people were actually asking if Tom Brady's career was over a few weeks ago. Hoyer is not Brady, but this is the nature of the damn sport.

The Bengals got clobbered in a shutout, the Bears are coming apart at the seams, the Seahawks just lost to the Rams to fall to .500.

It happens. Will we respond? I say yes. Why? Because I watched this team play their hearts out for 5 weeks before unraveling in 1. They needed this to stay grounded. Too much talk of 6-2 all week - this game was overlooked. They needed a reality check that they need to play these games, nothing his handed to you.

I'm focused on a bad Oakland team and you'd be crazy to think you're not 4-3 going into the Tampa game. The same way everyone said the season was "over" after a piss poor preseason, they will say it's "over" after one poor performance. But time and again it's proven that the NFL is impossible to predict.

If Hoyer comes out and throws for 300 and 2 TDs next week, are you actually that surprised anymore? The guy has earned his chance this season by playing good football in 8 regular season games. I'll give him this clunker and I'm still sticking by him.

Agree. Let's see how this week goes. I never believed we would go 6-2 until I saw it happen. Same way I feel about going 8-8 in a season. I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree with Binkster. It was a disappointing loss and one where we looked horrible on offense but like it was too early to call Hoyer top 10, it's too early to throw the season in the trash can. If we lose vs Oakland or Tampa Bay then we can have a serious conversation about it but in a 16 game season you are bound to have a few clunkers. You just don't want to have your clunkers vs teams you should easily beat.

So you're saying we shouldn't act wildly irrational after a bad game?

Hoyer is clearly the best option to win this year at QB-- no mid-season changes, I don't want him benched. I really don't want to see Manziel this year. I didn't want to draft him (I was alone on that Derek Carr train-- he's playing real well, btw) but I guess I understand what the Front Office hopes JFF brings to the organization but he's simply not ready. So this isn't a Manziel vs. Hoyer post....

I don't know how any of us here can really have an informed opinion on how "ready" Manziel is given that we haven't really seen him play for nearly two months. I'm not saying that he is ready -- just that we fans really can't know that. He'd undoubtedly have a learning curve to get adjusted to playing more just as everyone said Hoyer needed more time to work with the offense after it was announced he was the starter. But other than that, we're all kind of just guessing at Manziel's readiness.

I do remember that one of the big selling points of Hoyer over Manziel was Hoyer's perceived edge as a pocket passer versus a guy who did more rollouts/moving pockets. The logic is/was that rollouts/moving pockets are too gimmicky/dangerous to work very often. But it seems to me that those rollouts were the one part of our offense that did seem to work yesterday, so it begs the question of whether or not it is still an advantage to start the guy who is better in the pocket than on rollouts.

All that being said, I'm still not in favor of starting JFF next week even if he was deemed "ready" by the coaches. That'd be too quick a hook for Hoyer after he's played decently to this point. But he may be in trouble if he loses one of the next two, because we'd then be 1-2 against three shitty teams, and just entering the toughest part of the schedule.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."