• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Official Game of Thrones [A Song of Ice and Fire] Thread (includes spoilers)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Yeah, it's definitely not too late. No reason they can't have Bran have that vision or have a ToJ flashback closer to the time the parentage will be revealed.

Maybe. They won't do it.

Yeah...I tend to think that Jon will find out about his parentage from Howland Reed. That seems to be the most obvious source, and even the show has set it up via Bran's conversations with Jojen and Meera.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'm getting hyped for The World of Ice and Fire in about a week.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'm getting hyped for The World of Ice and Fire in about a week.

Totally forgot that was coming out. I preordered it like a year ago and forgot about it entirely.

Was literally about to go preorder it this morning.

So have any of you guys read any of Martin's other books aside from the Ice & Fire stuff? I've been slowly making my way through them over time and just finished Tuf Voyaging. It's become one of my favorite books. I tore through it about as quickly as I did the Ice & Fire books after finishing book one. It's sci-fi, but really more philosophical than anything.

It's a series of short stories about Haviland Tuf, a merchant who ends up in control of a vast, ancient ecological engineering ship who then finds himself traveling from world to world trying to solve their various problems. I'd go into more detail but it's really almost impossible to describe.

If you like Martin, I think you'll like Tuf Voyaging.

So have any of you guys read any of Martin's other books aside from the Ice & Fire stuff? I've been slowly making my way through them over time and just finished Tuf Voyaging. It's become one of my favorite books. I tore through it about as quickly as I did the Ice & Fire books after finishing book one. It's sci-fi, but really more philosophical than anything.

It's a series of short stories about Haviland Tuf, a merchant who ends up in control of a vast, ancient ecological engineering ship who then finds himself traveling from world to world trying to solve their various problems. I'd go into more detail but it's really almost impossible to describe.

If you like Martin, I think you'll like Tuf Voyaging.

I've read a few -- his short stories are really good. Favorite novel is Fevre Dream, which is a vampire story set in the steamboat era. The one boat captain who plays a central role is my favorite Martin character, which says a lot if you've read ASOIAF. Really good characters all around, actually.

I'd call it Mark Twain meets Dan Simmons (or maybe Stephen King if you're not familiar with Simmons).

Last edited:
I've read a few -- his short stories are really good. Favorite novel is Fevre Dream, which is a vampire story set in the steamboat era. The one boat captain who plays a central role is my favorite Martin character, which says a lot if you've read ASOIAF. Really good characters all around, actually.

I'd call it Mark Twain meets Dan Simmons (or maybe Stephen King if you're not familiar with Simmons).

Yeah I've read Fevre Dream. Really good book. Dying of the Light is also excellent. Really, I can't say I've read a book by Martin that is bad. It's really a shame he's such a slow writer, because I'd love to see him expand beyond the Ice & Fire world some more. Just obviously after he finishes the last two to five books.

By the way, we've talked about this in the gaming threads, but anyone who likes them some TV Game of Thrones should check out the video game that just came out from Telltale. It will be six episodes long, each of which should run at around two hours. The first episode came out a couple of weeks ago and, while it starts a bit predictable and slow, it's pretty good.

It's more of an interactive story than a game, though. Most of it is you choosing varying dialogue options that shift the tone and, sometimes, the result of scenes. Some outcomes can't be avoided (such as the one that happens at the end of the first episode), but there are moments that will change things over the course of an episode and future ones as well.

Some characters from the show appear too, and thus far they've all been played by their show actors. Cercei, Tyrion, Margaery, and Ramsay all pop up in the first episode, and Jon Snow and some other Watch guys will more than likely appear in episode two, along with (maybe) Dany. The series takes place after the Red Wedding (well, actually the first scene is at the Red Wedding, but the rest of the story takes place a bit later), when the Starks have fallen and the North is in shambles. You play as various characters from the Forrester family (briefly mentioned in the book), who were bannermen to the Starks.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the recommendation in here for those of you who might not read the gaming threads regularly (or at all).

By the way, we've talked about this in the gaming threads, but anyone who likes them some TV Game of Thrones should check out the video game that just came out from Telltale. It will be six episodes long, each of which should run at around two hours. The first episode came out a couple of weeks ago and, while it starts a bit predictable and slow, it's pretty good.

I'll second that. Telltale just does a masterful job overall. You'd think a game with not much in the way of fighting or action would suck, but they really know how to get you invested in a story. I still miss
Lee
from the first Walking Dead game.

Yeah, I didn't enjoy the second season of The Walking Dead game as much because of his absence, and also because I thought the amount of decisions adults forced or allowed a ten year old girl (I don't know her exact age in the games, but it's definitely twelve or less) to make was more than a little preposterous.

It felt a little more natural in Game of Thrones to be making decisions as a kid because, obviously, the kid was the new lord of his house. And even then he had two adults pressuring him with their own ideologies.

Yeah, I didn't enjoy the second season of The Walking Dead game as much because of his absence, and also because I thought the amount of decisions adults forced or allowed a ten year old girl (I don't know her exact age in the games, but it's definitely twelve or less) to make was more than a little preposterous.

It felt a little more natural in Game of Thrones to be making decisions as a kid because, obviously, the kid was the new lord of his house. And even then he had two adults pressuring him with their own ideologies.

Just curious about some of your decisions. Did you save the other squire at the beginning? As Ethan, who did you name your Sentinel? Did you bend the knee to Ramsey?

Just curious about some of your decisions. Did you save the other squire at the beginning? As Ethan, who did you name your Sentinel? Did you bend the knee to Ramsey?

Yeah, I saved the other squire, although ultimately it didn't matter since he dies anyway. I named the master of arms guy as my Sentinal (don't remember his name). I bent the knee to Ramsay, but obviously you know how that works out regardless of what you do. I'm probably going to replay it and make opposite decisions to see how everything plays out, though.

Yeah, I saved the other squire, although ultimately it didn't matter since he dies anyway. I named the master of arms guy as my Sentinal (don't remember his name). I bent the knee to Ramsay, but obviously you know how that works out regardless of what you do. I'm probably going to replay it and make opposite decisions to see how everything plays out, though.

Well I made all the opposite decisions from you :chuckle:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."