• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Dion Waiters Traded

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grade the Trade (Waiters + Kirk/Amundsen + 2nd rd pick for Smith, Shumpert, and 1st rd pick)

• A+

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • A

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • B

Votes: 106 41.6%
  • C

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • D

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • F

Votes: 9 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you got me. I obviously hate Dion. Can you actually put aside your bias and give me some facts. Why do you think Dion is a great perimeter defender? Harris has impressed me a ton on the defensive side of the ball and I don't see enough of a difference in defense between Miller and Dion to not start the better complement to Kyrie and Lebron (Miller). so I think either of those two would be possible candidates for the starting 2.

I suggest you invest some time on 82games.com...Dion was above average guarding PGs, SGs, and SFs last year...if you can guard 3 positions at an above average rate, you are a great perimeter defender in my book.

Completely agree. I just think it would be best for the team AND even Dion if he came off the bench. I don't know why people get so defensive when this is suggested. We have enough dominant scorers in the starting lineup. We need an off ball spot up shooter like Miller (or Allen if he comes, perhaps even Joe Harris if he impresses enough but probably not likely) to complement Kyrie and Lebron better. And then Dion would serve as the scoring punch off the bench and lead the second unit. People get this idea that if you want Dion coming off the bench, you hate him and think he sucks, which is utterly moronic.

It's not like we have a Wiggins or someone with proposed higher upside or clearly better all around that's all.

Who thinks Waiters is better than DeRozen?

Other than Mr. Blonde?

Who thinks Waiters is better than DeRozen?

Other than Mr. Blonde?
It's DEROZAN and I'll give credit where it's due. Derozan is definitely the better player at this point and anyone here who says otherwise is being biased.

It's DEROZAN and I'll give credit where it's due. Derozan is definitely the better player at this point and anyone here who says otherwise is being biased.
Agreed. Offensively Derozan as he can definitely finish around the rim and through contact. Don't know much about his D though

I stated Dion's on screen demeanor and slang make the judgment a face value thing for most reserved at the label of being ghetto. Now generalize your way out of that. You seem lost in playing politically correct opposed to the unsaid unspoken way of things. Which is a Cleveland/up north thing. Where as people in the Southern states are racist which only Anglo's can be or prejudiced which everyone in America can be and unafraid to be honest with their beliefs and feelings. Bluntly let you know to your face, but that's because of historical remnants of an age past.

I make the comments about Dion's attitude because those from the streets or tough upbringings are forced to be tough or get eaten alive. Those with out that required edge see it as well street mentality hence the term "street mentality".

I agree wholeheartedly on your basket ball observations stated above.

Holy god. How far off-topic are you going to go to prove to everyone you've taken a college course? You've been rambling for two pages and it's still nearly impossible to figure out why.

Although this post was helpful in explaining your worldview.

people in the Southern states are racist

Fun.

only Anglo's can be (racist)

Neat.

Welcome to my ever expanding ignore list.

Oh one note for you LBJ is not afraid or intimidated by an out spoken black dude thank god he doesn't have such weak stomach as some do.

Ah, playing the "quit picking on the black dude" card on a team full of black dudes. Nice.

Completely agree. I just think it would be best for the team AND even Dion if he came off the bench. I don't know why people get so defensive when this is suggested. We have enough dominant scorers in the starting lineup. We need an off ball spot up shooter like Miller (or Allen if he comes, perhaps even Joe Harris if he impresses enough but probably not likely) to complement Kyrie and Lebron better. And then Dion would serve as the scoring punch off the bench and lead the second unit. People get this idea that if you want Dion coming off the bench, you hate him and think he sucks, which is utterly moronic.

I don't know about Miller, but with respect to Dion it's the point I was making before -- I don't think his skill set isn't going to be used to max advantage as the 4th option who rarely/never plays the point. I know some people were envisioning Dion's role as starting, and being the primary ball handler whenever KI is on the bench. But at least as of now, Blatt prefers Delly as the primary ball handler when KI isn't in. I personally think Dion leading the second unit would maximize his chances to be a playmaker/creator, and also to have a distinct, prominent role on the team. He'd be an easy contender for 6th Man, and I think that role would boost his chances to be an all-star.

But he's been very clear about his preference to be a starter, and Beal and other guys will trash talk him mercilessly because they know it's a sore spot with him.

I really don't get why some people get offended at that. It wouldn't be an issue if Dion was less talented -- it's only an issue because he's more talented.

Here is a few reasons I would always argue against Miller starting and Dion off the bench.

1. Defense and speed. The gap is already wide in defensive ability between Dion and Miller(no knock on Grandpa Mike) and I believe as the season, coaching and practice goes on, that gap will only grow wider.

2. Consistency/continuity of starting lineup. With Kyrie and Andy, you already have two guys potentially starting that do have a history of missing games. It's actually one reason I might prefer to start Tristan but I was am ok with Andy starting I guess. But Miller is a guy who also has that injury history and age. I think its important to have as much consistency and continuity with the starting lineup and barring a freak accident, Dion grades out as being far more likely to be durable and there all season.

3. Rotations. Blatts already seems to have a clear vision for Dion which has him getting the first 5-6 minutes of each half with the starting unit, being the first sub out, and then doubling back in when LeBron and Kyrie check out with a minute or so left in the first and then leading the second unit for much of the second quarter. I think it's harder to craft the right rotation starting Miller. Miller is just better suited off the bench. Some games will see him play limited minutes like tonight. Other games will see him getting 16-20 minutes.

Dion isn't the perfect fit, but I think you're correct in pointing out that Miller is probably a worse fit because of his defense. And I'm not sure there's anyone else on the roster currently who is a better fit at SG than Dion either. That's kind of the issue. I wish we had that guy, and that Dion was willing to be the 6th man. We saw last night that the ability of our non-starters to create offense is pretty weak. TT, Miller, Harris, Delly, etc....there's just nobody there who can really create much. I'd really like to see him as the primary ball-handler and leader of the second unit to keep our scoring from stagnating, and then have him on the floor at the end of games as well.

But I don't think it's going to happen.

The same Mike Miller who shot 48% from the field and 46% from three last year? I'm not saying Mike Miller is the better player; he's the better fit. Jamal Crawford comes off the bench because Reddick is the better fit. Why can;t Dion accept that role.

You do realize that fit takes defense into account as well, right? Mike Miller, at this stage in his career, can't defend two guards. He can barely defend small forwards. Given how awful Kyrie is at defense, we need a starter at the two that can play solid or better defense and shoot the three. That's Dion Waiters.

He's an awful defender.
Awful is not the right word. He has taken good steps forward in all parts of the game, but his defense is slower catching up to his offense.

With that said, he is not good on D, but far from awful. He isn't who you want defending LeBron in the fourth, but you don't cringe when he switches on to him. This season, I expect Demar's defense to take a pretty big step forward. That is the one part of the game that he really lags behind the elite guys in.

did you guys catch that they played the "Ball Hard D. Waiters" sound clip at the game last night?

Whomever revamped the cavs PR (their twitter, in game music, intro video, etc) needs a raise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."