• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

LeBron James

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
LeBron James: Bulls 'much better'

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Less than two weeks before their first regular season meeting, LeBron James believes the Chicago Bulls are better than his Cleveland Cavaliers.

The two teams play Monday night in a preseason game at Ohio State University. The Cavs are calling it their most important preseason game, not just because they're facing a potential Eastern Conference rival but because James, Kevin Love and Kyrie Irving will start together for the first time against an NBA team.

"[The Bulls] are a team that's much better than us right now just off chemistry," James said. "They've been together for awhile, we've got a long way to go."

James has faced the Bulls in the playoffs three times in the past five years, once with the Cavs and twice with the Miami Heat. He has a long history not only against Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah but also coach Tom Thibodeau, who designed the defense against James in two playoff series when Thibodeau an assistant coach with the Boston Celtics.

The Cavs recently had a weeklong trip to Brazil where they focused on bonding. And while there's also been a focus from James and some of the veterans like Mike Miller and Shawn Marion to mentor the younger players, James freely admits the Cavs are not battle-tested like the Bulls.

And he doesn't think such chemistry will come from preseason games or team dinners.

"You've got to go through something to create a bond; that means for the worse," James said. "We've got to lose ballgames that we think we should've won, we've got to get into an argument every now and then just to test each other out."

James is speaking from experience. When he joined the Heat in 2010, that team struggled significantly out of the gate and started the season 9-8. There were chemistry issues and friction in the locker room. After that difficult first month, however, the Heat won 21 of 22 games and ended up reaching the Finals.

He's not predicting such struggles for the Cavs in the early going, but he said Monday that he's expecting adversity.

"It has to happen. I know it is going to happen," James said. "A lot of guys don't see it, but I see it. That's the only way we're going to be able to grow. You don't define yourself during the good times, you define yourself through the bad times. That's for the players and the coaching staff as well."

Overall the Cavs have played well in the preseason, going 4-1 to this point, but they haven't had much time to test their new lineup. Irving missed three games with a sprained ankle, Love skipped a game to rest a sore neck and James took a game off to rest his back.

Monday's preseason game will be the first time that Irving, James and Love will play together against an NBA team.

"We haven't had the opportunity to see them all together as yet," Cavs coach David Blatt said.

"I have an idea in my mind, I have a feeling about it. Is that tried and true? Up to this point, honestly it's not. ... But I see them at practice and I obviously know the players, their skill-set and their basketball IQ and their willingness to play together, so I'm pretty optimistic about it."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...cleveland-cavaliers-says-chicago-bulls-better

Lebron challenging his teammates by saying this stuff already.

"We're not a Big 3...we're a big 15."

I loved everything about that interview.

For all the people who were concerned about LeBron's health, did you see him absolutely dominate in the third quarter when he knew he was about to exit for the game? He was getting anything he wanted and hitting everything. It's pretty clear that he's just been taking it easy thus far.

I was there at the game. You could tell the feel of the crowd shift when Lebron took over in the fourth for a little bit. It was pretty amazing.

Rose was damn impressive. He was just lightning quick and such a great sight to see in person

Kyrie was just smooth. That Lebron outlet to Kyrie for three just brought the house down.

Epic commercial... But I am slightly concerned about LBJ on the floor right now, just doesn't look like himself even if he's not trying, something just seems slightly off about him. BUT I'm not going to worry about it unless it carries over to the regular season. With that being said I expect to see the normal LeBron come October 30th inside the Q

Glad you said this. It's been this way since media day, where he just seemed mad to be there.

Maybe he got caught up in all the hype with the coming home story but now regrets it a bit. Not to be negative myself! lol

Either way, nothing getting out there on the court and winning wouldn't cure.

Glad you said this. It's been this way since media day, where he just seemed mad to be there.

Maybe he got caught up in all the hype with the coming home story but now regrets it a bit. Not to be negative myself! lol

He doesn't regret it at all, he seems to be thoroughly enjoying being home. In no way shape or form was I hinting towards him being unhappy. I was more referring to him starting off slow, but last night he looked to be moving much, much better and gave a better effort and looked like himself. Made me feel much better.

There's nothing to "cure"..

Saying he regrets anything is just silly. It's simply his new approach, he's all business now.

As far as his play, it's preseason. Even with that fact, he's taken over games when he's wanted with relative ease, which should tell you all you need to know.

People are overreacting for absolutely no reason.

My guess is he is just pacing himself... He was completely exhausted during the playoffs. Doesn't want that to happen again

Those turnaround fade aways at the start of the 4th, if thats where his game is heading he has a lot of basketball left in him. I think you will see lebron start the season very slowly, gets other involved as much as possible. He needs to get himself used to trusting his new team mates and learning the system. Then after the all star break once teams has developed their defensive systems to slow us down, then i think he will start attacking the rim and being more aggressive with the ball

You can tell LeBron is pacing himself like a marathon runner. I've actually never seen another NBA player prepare for the season quite like he does.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."