• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Anthony Bennett

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Notice he's shot 1 3 pointer in the pre-season. Good. He shouldn't be shooting NBA 3s.

Could we have gotten Love without trading Bennet?
I feel like Bennet has a huge upside in his game, I feel like he;s gonna be an allstar and we fucked it up :/
Giving Wiggins is fine, really fine but I feel like Bennet will shine t his season, maybe we could have offered a different deal :(

It's unlikely that either Bennett or Wiggins will ever be as good as Kevin Love is right now. Further, Bennett would have been completely redundant on a team that has Kevin Love starting at power forward.

Cool,
After you have seen a slight glimpse of Blatt's Offense,
Don't you feel like Wiggins and Bennet could benefit off it?
I just love looking at guys develop especially when you feel like they could make it.. Bron as the floor general could have made it work..
Although Love spacing could make Varejao and Tristan better, I don't know I was really put off by this trade since I wanted the Cavs and Blatt to teach and form a new identity as a team and I did feel like they could make it without Love since Lebron is an in game coach and could make those rookies feel confident, Although I believe Lebron really wanted Love no matter what?

Edit:
Some part of me want Wiggins and Bennet to succeed but ther other part want them to play subpar and "fail"
M I bad ? :p
At the end of the day, having Kevin Love gives you the best chance to win a championship (maybe multiple championships) over Bennett and Wiggins. And that's all that matters.

Anthony Bennett has about 0 value to this team with Kevin Love on board. You have to figure that Kevin Love is going to eat up 30 + minutes a night at power forward. Bennett is strictly a power forward; he just can't play center or small forward. What makes matters worse is that what you hoped Bennett would bring to this ball club, Kevin Love provides at a much higher level. Keeping Anthony Bennett was never really an option with an incoming Love.

Last edited:
With the way Tristan is playing, I am glad we didn't give him up. He can definitely backup the 5.

We sure as hell shouldn’t have given them 2 first rounders in that deal. If u think about it the cavs had all the leverage and just came out as plain desperate offering up that package. The warriors were just blowing smoke they weren’t ever going to give up Thompson anyway. The bulls didn’t have the pieces and if they did it wouldn’t make them any better by gutting their squad. The wolves had to trade love since they knew he was headed out the door anyway.. Love’s value is in floor spacing and shooting that’s a high value to have, but if he goes down with an injury for a long period of time that trade is going to look really really bad lol. I think worse case scenario we could have waited till all star break if we really had to make that deal again.

We sure as hell shouldn’t have given them 2 first rounders in that deal. If u think about it the cavs had all the leverage and just came out as plain desperate offering up that package. The warriors were just blowing smoke they weren’t ever going to give up Thompson anyway. The bulls didn’t have the pieces and if they did it wouldn’t make them any better by gutting their squad. The wolves had to trade love since they knew he was headed out the door anyway.. Love’s value is in floor spacing and shooting that’s a high value to have, but if he goes down with an injury for a long period of time that trade is going to look really really bad lol. I think worse case scenario we could have waited till all star break if we really had to make that deal again.

I'm afraid of injuries, I really do,
I don't agree with the trade(not that it matters :p :) I feel like minnesota wanted Wiggins from the start and it's not like Love would have signed a year later with non contender team, I strongly believe that we could have gotten him later on, and perhaps could have gotten a much higher value for wiggins and bennet since I'm sure they would have strived under Blatt, so in the long run this trade could have been good or bad depending of injuries, etc.
we don't have good enough sub for waiters on sg, so is our pg position.
Now we have no bargaining cards to gain a good Center/SG/PG so I don't know what's gonna happen in the long run?

You do realize that, in the NBA, salaries have to match, yes? We couldn't trade Wiggins for Love straight up because that deal wouldn't work under the current CBA. We had to add in Bennett's salary to make the dollars work.

Who else were we going to trade with Wiggins aside from Bennett? Bennett was coming off the worst rookie season of all time for a number one pick. He hadn't yet proven he could even play in the NBA, let alone be worth stalling a deal for a top ten player like Kevin Love. I wanted Bennett to succeed, but let's not pretend he was anything close to a sure thing. Keeping Thompson was the safer bet, as he'd already proven he was a solid NBA player, not to mention good friends with LeBron.

Aside from that, as numerous people have mentioned, keeping Bennett made no sense after acquiring Love. Love will be playing over thirty minutes a night and plays the same position as Bennett. If Bennett has any hope of becoming a legitimate NBA player, he's going to need minutes to develop. He wasn't getting those minutes here.

You do realize that, in the NBA, salaries have to match, yes? We couldn't trade Wiggins for Love straight up because that deal wouldn't work under the current CBA. We had to add in Bennett's salary to make the dollars work.

Who else were we going to trade with Wiggins aside from Bennett? Bennett was coming off the worst rookie season of all time for a number one pick. He hadn't yet proven he could even play in the NBA, let alone be worth stalling a deal for a top ten player like Kevin Love. I wanted Bennett to succeed, but let's not pretend he was anything close to a sure thing. Keeping Thompson was the safer bet, as he'd already proven he was a solid NBA player, not to mention good friends with LeBron.

Aside from that, as numerous people have mentioned, keeping Bennett made no sense after acquiring Love. Love will be playing over thirty minutes a night and plays the same position as Bennett. If Bennett has any hope of becoming a legitimate NBA player, he's going to need minutes to develop. He wasn't getting those minutes here.

I agree with everything you said here but including the additional first rounder was baffling. Wiggins alone was worth much more then what teams got for Melo and Howard and this isn't the NFL: a top prospect in a loaded draft is much much more valuable then a bunch of middling first rounders and ok prospects. Throwing in Bennett made sense for the reasons you already stated but why the additional first? That can be a useful chip to add for a guy like Mozgov who may not be worth giving up the Memphis pick for.

I agree with everything you said here but including the additional first rounder was baffling. Wiggins alone was worth much more then what teams got for Melo and Howard and this isn't the NFL: a top prospect in a loaded draft is much much more valuable then a bunch of middling first rounders and ok prospects. Throwing in Bennett made sense for the reasons you already stated but why the additional first? That can be a useful chip to add for a guy like Mozgov who may not be worth giving up the Memphis pick for.

I wasn't a fan of having to throw in the 1st (since, as you said, Wiggins alone is plenty compared to other trades). But I'd view that 1st as the cost of getting the trade done well before training camp began. Could we have held out on including it? Sure. But this way we have the entire off-season, training camp, pre-season and regular season to integrate our completely overhauled roster.

This can't be said enough: it doesn't matter what the Nuggets got for Melo or what the Magic got for Dwight Howard when looking at the Kevin Love trade. That's completely ignoring situations and the obvious factor that they play in any trade or roster move.

The Knicks didn't have a prospect at Wiggins level to trade, neither did the Lakers. It could be argued that the Lakers and Knicks both gave up their second most valuable player, while the Cavs gave up their 3rd or 4th, depending on how you view Dion in relation to Wiggins.

Neither the Knicks or Lakers had collected a multitude of first round picks and picked at the top of the lottery for 4 straight seasons and then suddenly signed the best player in the NBA, drastically changing their outlook.

If the Cavs wait it out until December, maybe they only have to trade one first, but is holding onto a late first really worth it when you factor in Love not being with the team from the getgo, making it harder to integrate him later? Ignoring the fact that Wiggins wouldn't have played starter minutes, and his production would be very limited, potentially decreasing his value, while Love would put up another great statistical season in Minnesota.

Complaining about the inclusion of an additional first is silly

Personally I think we should have demanded Dieng as the price for giving up that additional first. But whatever...in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge loss.

I read somewhere we lost 2 first rounders in the deal is this true? If we only lost 1 then yeah the trade makes a lot of sense, if not I would of liked to see the squad we had play out. Assuming we could have re-signed hawes who is a poor mans love then start wiggins at 2 and bring waiters off the bench. That would make us easily have the deepest bench in the league. 4 rotational bigs too. Worst case could have done the same deal at the deadline with Minnesota. I would have loved to see wiggins and lebron lock up the perimeter on d together and I think Bennett is going to be at least a 12 and 8 guy this year probably a 15 and 10 guy in the future.
I don’t think the starting lineup we have now is going to work unless waiters moves to the bench. There just isn’t enuff ball to go around with waiter and irving jacking up shots all game long when u have lebron and love who combined put up 60 ppg last season. Just watch the last 2 pre season games and love is already complaining about touches. Hes going to play the same role as Hawes anyway with Dion chucking all game long.

It was one first-rounder. The one we got from Miami in the LeBron sign and trade four years ago. To be honest, I kind of think Gilbert just had Griffin put it in the trade as a middle finger to Miami. :chuckle:

Reactions: Lee

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."