• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Lottery Reform, Like Winter, is Coming

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I'm loving this news. Does anyone else find the sixers fans the most annoying in the NBA. Maybe its just the die hard Hinkie worshipping fans that drive me crazy. Just read the libertyballers blog and you'll see what I mean. They are the most arrogant fans I've seen, and I lurk on a lot of NBA boards. :hihi: They all seem to know advanced stats but don't seem to care about anything else. I would be upset too if rules changed half way through our rebuild but I sure am I'm enjoying this news.

Wait, the best four records in the league?? So... we might actually win the lottery again?? Oh my god how unbelievably hilarious would that be? :chuckle:
I believe he means the 4 best records among lottery teams. So in other words teams 11, 12, 13, and 14.

The only way we could "win" the lottery now would be for Memphis to miss the playoffs and then jump up to the 6th spot in the lottery. That would be pretty sweet though...

Given our luck, that Memphis pick is definitely going to hit something for us. And I'm going to laugh my ass off, because the Cavaliers are a large reason this lotto reform is happening.

I liked the worst team not being able to fall out the top 4 but now the worst team only has guarantee to the top 7? That's great. Should definitley cut down on blatant tanking a little

I liked the worst team not being able to fall out the top 4 but now the worst team only has guarantee to the top 7? That's great. Should definitley cut down on blatant tanking a little
I think the biggest hit against tanking might be the equal odds for the top 4 teams. That almost completely eliminates the advantage of being the worst as opposed to the fourth worst team. Before it was that race for the very bottom that really brought the tank drivers out, as one place could mean as much as 50/1000 extra ping pong balls with your name on it. The tanking for teams 5-10 was never as much of a PR issue at least. People don't write articles about the Pistons and Kings, but rather about the Cavs and Sixers and their egregious losing streaks.

I just wish they would make the actual draw public. Lots of people complain about the lottery being rigged and whatnot and frankly I don't see any good reason for keeping it that way.
It may also be a good idea to go back to the early '90s lottery odds for each team - the one where the worst team only got like 16 percent of the combinations instead of 25 percent like it is today.

I just wish they would make the actual draw public. Lots of people complain about the lottery being rigged and whatnot and frankly I don't see any good reason for keeping it that way.
It may also be a good idea to go back to the early '90s lottery odds for each team - the one where the worst team only got like 16 percent of the combinations instead of 25 percent like it is today.

The reason they don't is because the actual drawing has the potential to be incredibly boring. What if they draw the odds for the same team forty times in a row? It's theoretically possible, especially since the worst team has almost 25% of the numbers. It's also more exciting to count down from 14 to 1 than it would be in the actual drawing, where they draw the odds for the first place team, then second, then third (and soon fourth, fifth, and sixth most likely).

They do put the actual drawing online after the lottery show is over, though.

Sounds like Philly and OKC will say no.

Odd OKC will say no. Do they feel Durant will leave in 2016?

Sounds like Philly and OKC will say no.

Odd OKC will say no. Do they feel Durant will leave in 2016?

I don't think it's that. I think it's that Presti realizes that, as a market, OKC isn't terribly appealing. If the team ever needs to rebuild again, it will likely be through the draft. That means tanking is the best strategy, and this new proposal impacts the effectiveness of tanking.

To be honest, I don't really see what's wrong with the current system aside from Hinkie being such a gloating prick about his ability to put together the worst team of all time.

I don't think it's that. I think it's that Presti realizes that, as a market, OKC isn't terribly appealing. If the team ever needs to rebuild again, it will likely be through the draft. That means tanking is the best strategy, and this new proposal impacts the effectiveness of tanking.

To be honest, I don't really see what's wrong with the current system aside from Hinkie being such a gloating prick about his ability to put together the worst team of all time.

I think teams are pissed we won it three out of the four years we were in the lottery, that's why they're changing it :chuckle:

I'll put my tin foil hat on and imagine that David Stern is still pulling the strings at the league office but I find it funny that we are talking about lottery reform now. It just so happens that the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks are going to have rough seasons but not bottom out seasons this year and what looks to be in the coming years as well. The league is talking about giving better odds to those 30-35 win teams at the expense of the truly awful teams who most are in small markets.

All I'm saying is I'm just sayin'

Per Woj, lottery reform voted down. System stays.

4488876837_8d3da2423a_z.jpg

Philly fans everywhere are rejoicing

Tank on

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."